Photo

Looking for post: Best selling 2600 games from Atari

12 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyChris OFFLINE  

CrazyChris

Dragonstomper

• 766 posts

Posted Tue Apr 4, 2017 6:47 AM

I read a post a within the last couple of months about Atari's best selling 2600 games.

Looked like an internal memo?

After an exhaustive search I still cannot find it.

Anyone know where this is?

Your help is much appreciated.

Chris

#2 CapitanClassic OFFLINE  

CapitanClassic

Moonsweeper

• 482 posts

Posted Tue Apr 4, 2017 7:41 AM

Video Game Chartz has this list, but doesn't mention sources.
http://www.vgchartz....es-of-all-time/

The Wikipedia page also has a list
https://en.wikipedia...ktop#Atari_2600

I think that someone did discover/release some internal sales numbers for Activision carts, but the issue you are going to have with finding the best selling Atari 2600 games is that the "official" documents will be spread over multiple companies (Atari, Activision, Imagic, Coleco, 20th Century Fox, CBS, Mattel, etc.)

#3 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 4, 2017 11:25 PM

The list from vgchartz is horrible. 770,000 copies of Air Raid!

#4 CrazyChris OFFLINE  

CrazyChris

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 766 posts

Posted Wed Apr 5, 2017 6:27 AM

Video Game Chartz has this list, but doesn't mention sources.
http://www.vgchartz....es-of-all-time/

The Wikipedia page also has a list
https://en.wikipedia...ktop#Atari_2600

I think that someone did discover/release some internal sales numbers for Activision carts, but the issue you are going to have with finding the best selling Atari 2600 games is that the "official" documents will be spread over multiple companies (Atari, Activision, Imagic, Coleco, 20th Century Fox, CBS, Mattel, etc.)

I am looking for Atari Corp sales figures only.

#5 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:17 PM

I am looking for Atari Corp sales figures only.

Does this help?

http://atariage.com/...00-sales-86-90/

#6 CrazyChris OFFLINE  

CrazyChris

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 766 posts

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:06 AM

Thanks jeremiahjt.

Really interesting. I am really surprised with the games that

are a the top of the list.

Chris

Edited by CrazyChris, Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 AM.

#7 the_wizard_666 OFFLINE  

the_wizard_666

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:12 PM

The list from vgchartz is horrible. 770,000 copies of Air Raid!

Maybe they goofed and added in Air Raiders to that?  Seems like it could be an easy mistake to make.

#8 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Industry Veteran

• 5,474 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 PM

Maybe they goofed and added in Air Raiders to that?  Seems like it could be an easy mistake to make.

3/4 of a million copies seems high even for Air Raiders.

#9 the_wizard_666 OFFLINE  

the_wizard_666

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 PM

3/4 of a million copies seems high even for Air Raiders.

Maybe, but it's more likely than Air Raid.

#10 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Industry Veteran

• 5,474 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 PM

I read through this old thread and noticed something very interesting:

SLSOR240 M01, 2600 Software Covering 01/01/88 - 01/01/89 (SLSOR240.RPT)
CX2603 STAR SHIP 6 $40 6.60 0 .00 6 $40 6.60

SLSOR240 M01, 2600 Software Covering 01/01/89 - 01/01/90 (SLSOR240.RPT)
CX2603 STAR SHIP 20 $40 2.00 0 .00 20 $40 2.00

If I'm reading this correctly, Atari Corp. sold 26 units of Star Ship from 1988 to 1990, well after the game was retired--for the second time--during the Crash. No Atari Corp. variant has ever been known to exist, to my knowledge.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Did Atari Corp. stumble on a small number of copies left over from when Atari Inc. brought the game out of retirement in 1982 (or even earlier text label versions) that they just resold? Or is there an as yet unknown, undiscovered, and--if only 26 were even sold to begin with--incredibly rare Atari Corp.-produced label variant out there?

Does anybody remember even seeing Star Ship for sale anywhere between 1988 and 1990?

#11 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 PM

I read through this old thread and noticed something very interesting:

SLSOR240 M01, 2600 Software Covering 01/01/88 - 01/01/89 (SLSOR240.RPT)
CX2603 STAR SHIP 6 $40 6.60 0 .00 6 $40 6.60

SLSOR240 M01, 2600 Software Covering 01/01/89 - 01/01/90 (SLSOR240.RPT)
CX2603 STAR SHIP 20 $40 2.00 0 .00 20 $40 2.00

If I'm reading this correctly, Atari Corp. sold 26 units of Star Ship from 1988 to 1990, well after the game was retired--for the second time--during the Crash. No Atari Corp. variant has ever been known to exist, to my knowledge.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Did Atari Corp. stumble on a small number of copies left over from when Atari Inc. brought the game out of retirement in 1982 (or even earlier text label versions) that they just resold? Or is there an as yet unknown, undiscovered, and--if only 26 were even sold to begin with--incredibly rare Atari Corp.-produced label variant out there?

Does anybody remember even seeing Star Ship for sale anywhere between 1988 and 1990?

I think the first question to ask is if Atari Corp. ever sold games with Atari Inc. labels on them.  I know Track & Field came out in 1984 with Atari Corp. labels, but I do not think there was ever an Atari Inc. release of that one.  So maybe Atari Corp. released other games in 1984 with Atari Inc labels that were already on the cartridge.  If they did that then maybe they released other games later on with Atari Inc labels.

#12 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Industry Veteran

• 5,474 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 PM

I think the first question to ask is if Atari Corp. ever sold games with Atari Inc. labels on them.  I know Track & Field came out in 1984 with Atari Corp. labels, but I do not think there was ever an Atari Inc. release of that one.  So maybe Atari Corp. released other games in 1984 with Atari Inc labels that were already on the cartridge.  If they did that then maybe they released other games later on with Atari Inc labels.

Good point. Did Atari Inc. release carts with the sliding spring-loaded dust covers? I've got those carts with both Inc. and Corp. labels. It's a transitional cart style either way but if they came out under Atari Corp., it would at least suggest they released carts with Atari Inc. labels. Although, legally they probably couldn't sell product labeled "Atari Inc.," could they? It was a different company, after all.

Besides, Atari Corp. did their own labels for every other cart they released, even for similarly ancient filler titles (which they couldn't have had much backstock of ROMs left for) like Hangman and Black Jack; it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't knock a cheap-o label together for Star Ship, too. And again, legally, they probably would have had to.

The 1988-90 timeframe is odd as well. My understanding was that Atari Corp. re-released all of the inherited back catalog as soon as they could in '85 or '86, and sold them until they ran out, or until they ceased 2600 support. A game like Star Ship should have been re-released early on.

So many questions here.

#13 jeremiahjt OFFLINE  

jeremiahjt

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 PM

Good point. Did Atari Inc. release carts with the sliding spring-loaded dust covers? I've got those carts with both Inc. and Corp. labels. It's a transitional cart style either way but if they came out under Atari Corp., it would at least suggest they released carts with Atari Inc. labels. Although, legally they probably couldn't sell product labeled "Atari Inc.," could they? It was a different company, after all.

Besides, Atari Corp. did their own labels for every other cart they released, even for similarly ancient filler titles (which they couldn't have had much backstock of ROMs left for) like Hangman and Black Jack; it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't knock a cheap-o label together for Star Ship, too. And again, legally, they probably would have had to.

The 1988-90 timeframe is odd as well. My understanding was that Atari Corp. re-released all of the inherited back catalog as soon as they could in '85 or '86, and sold them until they ran out, or until they ceased 2600 support. A game like Star Ship should have been re-released early on.

So many questions here.

I was just perusing eBay for a Track & Field cartridge and I noticed that bundled with the Atari Corp labeled Track & Field cartridge was an Atari Inc labeled Track & Field controller.  I think it is safe to say that Atari Corp released some stuff with Atari Inc labels.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users