IGNORED

GORF, before or after Galaga?

simbalion

I am wondering, did GORF come out before or after Galaga? I know that GORF has two levels that are from earlier games, Space Invaders and Galaxian, but it is in the later Midway cabinet that also got used for Tron. I am pondering selling off a couple project machines and seeking out a GORF. I have always liked the game, especially the early voice synthesis. Something about a game that trash talks you as you play! :D KLOV lists them as very common, so perhaps finding a working example might not be too hard. Of course, this is Eastern Ohio, which makes everything a bit difficult.

Although they have similar profiles, the cabinets are completely different. Gorf is actually a two-piece cabinet with the upper piece screwed onto the bottom pedestal. Tron is a conventional one piece cabinet.

As far as release dates, Galaga was released in Japan in September and the US in December of 1981. I'm not sure of the month of Gorf's release, but the operating manual has a February 1981 printing date.

post-6333-0-93124600-1491518957_thumb.jpg