Photo

TI Anonymous (Support Group)

25 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,600 posts

Posted Sat Apr 8, 2017 7:00 AM

It's been said that the TI-99/4A is an addicting console...

There is much anecdotal evidence that suggests this is the case.  A support group may be in order!

ASK YOURSELF

A) Do you have a TI-99/4A, or two, three, four or more?

B) Do you spend more than two hours a day in pursuits related to, or in support of  the TI?

C) Do you know the definition of the words, addiction and denial?

D) Have  you ever used 'justification'  or 'excuses' to defend a purchase?

E) Have you spent more money on your TI equipment than on your modern 'daily driver' PC?

It's easy to join, just start your message:  "Hello, my name is (Atari Age Name Here), and I'm a TI-A-HOLIC...

#2 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 638 posts

Posted Sat Apr 8, 2017 7:08 AM

Hello, my name is digdugnate, and I'm a TI-A-HOLIC...

I have 3.  One my wife got me for Valentine's Day from an antique store, a banged up parts machine, and my pride-and-joy practically new condition one that is on my desk.

B) Do you spend more than two hours a day in pursuits related to, or in support of  the TI?

I spend my 'breaks' at the office (when i need to decompress or switch gears for projects) browsing technical articles, and at home generally futzing/programming with my TI.

I deny that I have an addiction!  ;-)

'But honey, this cartridge/part/whatever is super rare and TOTALLY worth the money!'

'The kids could use it too!'

'Nostalgia!'

E) Have you spent more money on your TI equipment than on your modern 'daily driver' PC?

At this stage in the game... YES lol

#3 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Sat Apr 8, 2017 11:20 AM

Hello, my name is FDOS (AKA, Bill R Sullivan), and I am a TI/Geneve-a-holic, due to 2 TI Console workstations and 10 in the closet behind me.  I also have two Geneves and one SNUG TI-99/4P (PEB).   These three are in my garage due to no appropriate monitor as they have V9938 VDP (RGB output).

Can I answer yes to all the questions?  Not really, as I don't kid myself.  I know I've been addicted since Christmas 1982.  I was away a lot during that time traveling all over the world.  After one particular trip, I arrived home to find my son teaching himself to program in TI BASIC, a program from the TI'99er magazine that I had subscribed to.  He asked me to help him debug it.  I was a true believer FigForth programer due to my job (not a professional, but surrounded by a few who were).  Now I had too learn BASIC quickly to help my son.  I managed to fix  the bug, but I told myself I had to get Forth on this machine before my son went astray.  That was it. I was hooked as TI gave the TI user groups the unfinished TI Forth, which meant I had to expand the the TI system from just a cassette tape recorder to a full blown PEB (32k memory, RS-232 card, disk drive controller card with two half height drives.  Later the TI disk controller would be replaced by a Corcomp DSDD controller, and in turn it was replaced by a Myarc 80 track DSDD (AKA; DSQD).  So it began and continues to this day.

Desperate to get back to my TI, so bye for now.

fdos

#4 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 2,583 posts

Posted Sat Apr 8, 2017 12:23 PM

Hello, my name is FDOS (AKA, Bill R Sullivan), and I am a TI/Geneve-a-holic, due to 2 TI Console workstations and 10 in the closet behind me.  I also have two Geneves and one SNUG TI-99/4P (PEB).   These three are in my garage due to no appropriate monitor as they have V9938 VDP (RGB output).

You may have a chance with an ordinary TV set with a SCART plug.

#5 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Sat Apr 8, 2017 12:59 PM

I know there are relatively new monitors that support SCART as well as TV's.  Neither is in my hobby budget at this time, as I'm concentrating on CF7+/NanoPEB operations.  So hobby funds are going toward that effort right now.

fdos

#6 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 685 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 AM

Bill, I have that problem too, but just recently found a monitor with Scart at Goodwill for 10.00, so there is hope ;-)

#7 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,970 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 AM

Is this topic to help support the addiction?

#8 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 685 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 AM

Is this topic to help support the addiction?

Of course, and I have been a TI/Geneve-a-holic since about 93, with a gap of a few years (17)- was in withdrawal, but now getting my fix again :D

#9 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:27 AM

Yes, I check in at Good Will and the Salvation Army frequently, as they are both local.  Although in recent times, they don't have much in any type of monitor, crt or flat screen.

As I already stated, I've been a TI-99/4-A-holic since Christmas 1982, and a Geneve-a-holic since the second batch was produced back in the late 1980's, so SCART is a viable way to render suitable RGB for the Geneve and my SNUG TI-99/4P.

fdos

#10 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 638 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:35 PM

feeding my addiction, i came across a PEB today that hopefully will arrive Friday.   Power overwhelming!

#11 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,261 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 PM

Awesome!!!!!!

#12 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 AM

Old age of my GramKracker is forcing me to change the battery once a month now.  I don't know if this is normal, as I don't see many comments posted on battery life of this and similar battery backed devices.  I also don't recall that all the memory of the GK above 56K does not function without the battery power.  I probably use it more than ever due to concentrated effort on TI-99/4A console with NanoPEB rather than PEB with SNUG HSGPL card.  I also noticed that my SuperCart module battery died, and it too was replaced about two months back.  I guess I'll have to check out my 3 Mini Memory Modules, as they also got new batteries at the same time.

#13 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 685 posts

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:26 PM

Old age of my GramKracker is forcing me to change the battery once a month now.  I don't know if this is normal, as I don't see many comments posted on battery life of this and similar battery backed devices.  I also don't recall that all the memory of the GK above 56K does not function without the battery power.  I probably use it more than ever due to concentrated effort on TI-99/4A console with NanoPEB rather than PEB with SNUG HSGPL card.  I also noticed that my SuperCart module battery died, and it too was replaced about two months back.  I guess I'll have to check out my 3 Mini Memory Modules, as they also got new batteries at the same time.

I replaced mine in my GK and MM last year, but haven't used them much, so don't know if that will be a problem forthcoming. At least my ribs have healed from an accident in Feb, and I have started soldering again. Almost got my HDX finished.

#14 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 PM

I just checked out my 3 Mini Memory Modules.  Thankfully all 3 have retained the programs I saved in them after the new batteries were installed some 2 months ago.  Two of them got the replacements for the CR2430 with solder leads and one got my last battery holder along with conventional CR2430 battery.  Therefore I'm a bit puzzled by the EA SuperCart battery failure, so soon.  I was thinking these replacements were very cheap and from China, so maybe very inferior as the eBay vendor said he had experienced early failures himself, so provided a couple of extras.  This would indicate that the manufacturing process may be haphazard, so that lemons are produced frequently.  I guess "you get what you pay for".  Only time will tell.  I didn't mind doing the solder jobs the first time for 3 with solder leads and 1 battery holder, as they all had a minimum of 3 decades of life without a battery replacement.

fdos

#15 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,600 posts

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 PM

Therefore I'm a bit puzzled by the EA SuperCart battery failure, so soon.  

Common problem due to design.  It was regular practice to remove the SuperCart from the computer when not in use.

#16 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:52 PM

I always remove battery backed modules when I power down the TI-99/4A console.  Especially the GK and SuperCart.

fdos

#17 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,386 posts

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 AM

I have a micrometer with an electronic display, the battery for which failed soon after I got it—including one spare!  I do not know whether the batteries were of Chinese manufacture, but I think the major problem is out-of-date batteries being sold without so indicating this fact up front.  After obtaining a battery with an actual future expiration date, I have not yet had to replace it.

...lee

#18 MillipedeMan OFFLINE  

MillipedeMan

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:22 PM

It's been said that the TI-99/4A is an addicting console...

There is much anecdotal evidence that suggests this is the case.  A support group may be in order!

ASK YOURSELF

It's easy to join, just start your message:  "Hello, my name is (Atari Age Name Here), and I'm a TI-A-HOLIC...

Perhaps Question F could be "Have you ever forgotten to release the Alpha Lock Key when playing a game requiring the remote controllers?"

#19 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 638 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 PM

Perhaps Question F could be "Have you ever forgotten to release the Alpha Lock Key when playing a game requiring the remote controllers?"

The answer is YES, uuuugh!  Slymoids is particularly unforgiving.  :)

#20 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,600 posts

Posted Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 PM

Show me someone who claims they've "never done it", and I'll show you someone not telling the truth.  ;)

It's happened so many times to so many people that the diode modification became quite popular.

#21 iKarith OFFLINE  

iKarith

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 4:00 AM

Thread necromancy!

I'm NOT a TI-a-holic.  I have only one console.  :)  I've done all the rest, but I have only one console.  So I'm not a TI-a-holic.  Nope, not me!

:D

#22 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• 866 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 5:00 AM

My name is Retrospect and I am a TI-AHOLIC.  I have only one console, a late silver model in pristine condition.

I have a long-suffering girlfriend who twitches everytime she hears "BEEP ... BEEP-BEEP"

My long-term goal is to make something using XB that no one thought possible.

I do have an addiction as I am drawn to using the emulators at various points through the day.  Even when I am on the toilet. Indeed, some of my best ideas came from being on the toilet.  

#23 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,213 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 5:25 AM

Retrospect, that comment just brings an evil shudder into mind. Now we really know why you came up with the idea kernel for Butt Plug. . . :rolling: :rolling:

#24 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,600 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 5:50 AM

I do have an addiction as I am drawn to using the emulators at various points through the day.  Even when I am on the toilet. Indeed, some of my best ideas came from being on the toilet.  

True multitasking!  I'd bet there are more than a couple of people here that check into the forum while occupying the throne room.

#25 digdugnate ONLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 638 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 5:57 AM

True multitasking!  I'd bet there are more than a couple of people here that check into the forum while occupying the throne room.

Throne room, on my phone at bedtime, in the office at work, the list goes on..... :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users