IGNORED

Super Pro Hockey

Mine arrived. I'll check it out soon.

Worked great. I like to watch the computer play both teams. Is that weird? :)

Popped into a cart shell and placed awesome label on it. Cool beans! Faithfully awaiting the super-cool box!!!

• 2 months later...

The game plays very well, but I have noticed when you quickly change direction and shoot, the puck often goes in the direction you WERE facing, not the direction you just switched to.

The fix is to wait a little bit after changing direction before shooting - not always easy to do in the heat of a game. I never had this issue with the original NHL Hockey. It's not a game breaker by any means, it just causes some frustration at times.

It also retained the [original] Super Pro Hockey bug where if you switch players right as one player gets the puck, the puck can "teleport" to the player you just switched to. It doesn't happen often, and it's not your fault, you probably didn't realize that bug existed.

All in all though, a really fun version.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

The fix is probably just to use the keypad to shoot/pass. The reason you never had the issue with shooting in the original game was because you did not have control of the direction the puck would go in when you would shoot/slap shot. In this version, you do.

As you mentioned regarding the "teleport" bug. Of course I was aware of it. I do my research. You mention it does not happen often. The fix was an overhaul of the code which I decided not to do.

Intellivision NHL Hockey reliably shoots/passes in the disc direction. I think Slap Shot is the same but it just seems buggy in that version. INTV definitely changed something because in Slap Shot you can side button shoot without the disc being pressed but in NHL you can't. The keypad passing/shooting introduced in INTV Slap Shot Hockey was a bad idea. Not only would you lose half of your precision but it can cause problems if you have controllers with unreliable side buttons.

edit: To me the fix would be to get rid of the sliding when the disc is pressed. ie. the player always moves in disc direction

Edited by mr_me

The fix is probably just to use the keypad to shoot/pass. The reason you never had the issue with shooting in the original game was because you did not have control of the direction the puck would go in when you would shoot/slap shot. In this version, you do.

As you mentioned regarding the "teleport" bug. Of course I was aware of it. I do my research. You mention it does not happen often. The fix was an overhaul of the code which I decided not to do.

With Mattel's original NHL Hockey, you can shoot in any direction that you point the disc (whether you use the SHOOT or PASS side button), and it works well - even if you quickly change directions and immediately shoot.

In INTV Super Pro Hockey, shooting got sloppy, and the puck has a tendency to go toward the goal you're shooting at, not necessarily in the direction you chose.

I understand why you wouldn't want to completely overhaul the code with regard to the 'teleport' bug.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• 9 months later...

I feel like this was the ultimate in INTV AA collaboration.

intvdave - game programmer and distributor

mthompson - manual, overlay and cart label designer and distributor, wordmark designer

the1hatman - box designer

Marc Oberhauser - box printer

Steve Jones - box distributor

That's 5 people working from 3 different countries across 2 continents! The things this community will do just to make a game be complete in box :lolblue:

• Like 5