Best Atari 2600 hacks

38 replies to this topic

#26 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 834 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 PM

Graphic and color hacks are interesting, but the ones I really like improve the controls - multibutton gamepadstrackballs, and even driving controllers.

I agree ....if you have a Harmony cart and those controllers needed for the specific hacks. My list is based on my gameplay thru Stella. Afterall, I was the one who asked for Centipede TB!!

#27 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,956 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 PM

Some of my favorite hacks added music to the game.

Combat Rock and Mr. Roboto Berzerk were great! 

#28 PitfallHarry77 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry77

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 AM

I would agree about improved controls. I love the hack that switches Midnight Magic to the paddle button controls (I think it was by Nukey Shay). I really like Midnight Magic but the joystick controls are a bit clunky. With the paddles it completely transforms the experience. It is the best pinball game on the Atari and I would argue one of the best pinball games period. I would love to play Centipede with the trackball and if only they could do something with those mushrooms. I think it has already been discussed on another forum though and it is impossible. What about changing the ship / cannon into something more like the arcade version? I wonder if that can be done as that would improve things a little.

#29 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,846 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 AM

I would love to play Centipede with the trackball and if only they could do something with those mushrooms. I think it has already been discussed on another forum though and it is impossible. 

Its not! Why don't you just follow the links? ;)

#30 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,282 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 AM

Wolfenstein (Venture)

The first hack that came to my mind, the sequel... Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission.  Improvements from the original hack are listed in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Haunted Adventure Trilogy is quite impressive.  Literally, a trilogy of hacks.  All three being substantially and considerably extensive.  Two of the three games are built off of hacks originally performed by Nukey Shay (His hack/homebrew work is excellent for a number of games).  The third game is a hack of Superman.

#31 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 3,502 posts
  • HSC Player

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:22 AM

I need to think more to decide on my 5 top hack games but the best of all is obvious choice for me:

Haunted Adventure Trilogy

#32 PitfallHarry77 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry77

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:26 AM

Its not! Why don't you just follow the links? ;)

I know there is the trackball version of Centipede available which is great, but I haven't played it like that yet as I don't have a trackball. Something to look forward to in the future. I have found that a prototype version of Centipede had a ship rather than a square and it is definitely an interesting version. However, I didn't think anything could be done to change the squares into mushrooms without there being far too much flicker (worse than the original Pacman someone said). 

#33 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 11,661 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 AM

However, I didn't think anything could be done to change the squares into mushrooms without there being far too much flicker (worse than the original Pacman someone said).

Probably me after having done tests on flicker rates while developing Space Rocks.

#34 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,931 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 AM

have to try few of those hacks.

guess there no love my own hack of keystone kappers :laserman 2k3 even though its not sold in the AA store its still listed in the 2600 hacks page on AA

#35 PitfallHarry77 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry77

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 PM

I like Keystone Kapers so I will have to give your hack a go.

#36 PitfallHarry77 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry77

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:53 PM

Probably me after having done tests on flicker rates while developing Space Rocks.

Yes, Spiceware, I am pretty sure it was you - Space Rocks is absolutely awesome by the way!  I am only new on here and am not up to date with all the forums. Have there been any further developments in terms of ways of getting mushrooms on Centipede without terrible flicker? When something seems impossible, the talented programmers on here delight in shifting the goal posts and finding away around it anyway. I find the discussions about these things really interesting but often it is like they are speaking a foreign language as I don't know anything about programming. They tend to make the solutions all sound very simple although I know they aren't.

#37 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 11,661 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 AM

Thanks!

I only see 2 options to make the mushrooms better.

1) Use the extra resources available in DPC+, CDF or BUS to keep track of the damage to each mushroom and draw them at different heights based on how much damage they've taken.  They'd still be blocks, but I think the varying heights would add quite a bit to the game.

2) Use the 128x200 bitmap display and draw everything with a constant 30 Hz flicker. You can see an example using Galaga in the latter 128 pixel demos in the Bus Stuffing Demos topic.  

post-3056-0-58210700-1484957069.png

The tradeoff is the sprites look really odd when they're rapidly moving - these sprites:

post-3056-0-78259100-1484957096.png

end up looking like this in motion due to how a 128 pixel display is created:

post-3056-0-68423200-1485302665.png

While this demo's using BUS, the kernel was originally developed for DPC+ so both DPC+ and CDF can generate the bitmap display.  With DPC+ it's difficult to show 128x200, so would probably use 128x100 instead which actually helps some with the motion problem.

#38 SpiceWare ONLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 11,661 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 AM

Thanks!

I only see 2 options to make the mushrooms better.

1) Use the extra resources available in DPC+, CDF or BUS to keep track of the damage to each mushroom and draw them at different heights based on how much damage they've taken.  They'd still be blocks, but I think the varying heights would add quite a bit to the game.

2) Use the 128x200 bitmap display and draw everything with a constant 30 Hz flicker. You can see an example using Galaga in the latter 128 pixel demos in the Bus Stuffing Demos topic.  

post-3056-0-58210700-1484957069.png

The tradeoff is the sprites look really odd when they're rapidly moving - these sprites:

post-3056-0-78259100-1484957096.png

end up looking like this in motion due to how a 128 pixel display is created:

post-3056-0-68423200-1485302665.png

While this demo's using BUS, the kernel was originally developed for DPC+ so both DPC+ and CDF can generate the bitmap display.  With DPC+ it's difficult to show 128x200, so would probably use 128x100 instead which actually helps some with the motion problem.

#39 PitfallHarry77 OFFLINE  

PitfallHarry77

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 AM

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Sorry I haven't responded, but I haven't been on here lately. You can certainly see why they went with the squares and it certainly doesn't lose anything in both Millipede and Centipede in terms of gameplay.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users