IGNORED

Roc'N Rope

MrBeefy

So decided to go through some of the random games I've picked up but haven't played. Had fun with this. Needed more stages and maybe a better way to thwart the monsters. But this was a neat platformer. What are your thoughts on this game?

I used to like it in the arcade. I thought the 2600 port wasn't bad, but of course it was limited.

Yeah, I played this game a lot in the arcade. I thought it was always fun with good graphics and interesting concept. I always found the rope shooting mechanic a little odd and confusing to control at times.

I played the 2600 version for the first time ever recently too. It seemed like a pretty decent port with much of the gameplay mechanics intact. But couple the odd rope-shooting mechanic with the limited graphics/space on the 2600 made things even more frustrating for me.

As I recall the arcade game had 3 levels. How many levels made their way to the 2600 port? I've only seen the first one.

Ha, there was a Roc 'n' Rope cab at MGC this weekend. It made me realize I haven't really played the Atari or Coleco versions in a long time. Neither one grabbed me--and after seeing the arcade version, they're both pretty shit anyway, from what I remember--but this would be a good one to revisit. I need to get back in touch with my 2600 collection.

I've played this a lot lately too and in doing so, have gotten really good at it. Even on the most difficult setting, I seem to be able to plow through levels fairly easily. Just takes a bit of patience in spots and some risk taking at other times. All in all, I'm going to say it's a keeper and one of the better arcade ports for the time. Couldn't tell at first if I was actually having any "fun" clearing stage after stage - but will admit it's got enough going for it to keep things interesting. Not just from clearing levels, but point racking also - which is what arcade games are all about. :)

Gotta say though, that I do not like the NTSC box for this game. Has a real photo'd dude pasted over the cartoon artwork which just looks strange and out of place to me.

post-13896-0-68487600-1491866171_thumb.jpg

Bought a PAL CBS release just for the box as I like theirs better and is more readily/cheaply available. Problem with the rear of the PAL box though, doesn't show the 2600 version of the game. Oh well, only display the side or front of the box anyway. lol

post-13896-0-82404500-1491866172_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I played this game a lot in the arcade. I thought it was always fun with good graphics and interesting concept. I always found the rope shooting mechanic a little odd and confusing to control at times.

I played the 2600 version for the first time ever recently too. It seemed like a pretty decent port with much of the gameplay mechanics intact. But couple the odd rope-shooting mechanic with the limited graphics/space on the 2600 made things even more frustrating for me.

As I recall the arcade game had 3 levels. How many levels made their way to the 2600 port? I've only seen the first one.

It had three levels.

Roc 'n' Rope is not a good translation to Atari 2600. But it should never be as the system is simply not designed to run games like this. I mean, I don't have it in my Harmony, deleted. There are some promising platformers like Gingerbread Man that work well.

I remembered my mom's friend having this game amongst the many 2600 games shoved under the bed (I'm pretty much the only person that hooks it up). Years later when I got the arcade version for the Playstation, I thought it I played it before. One thing I definitely remembered well was the bird with the colorful feathers...