IGNORED

WANTED: Feedback for Space Invaders

Dauber

I'm looking for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 )

What are your thoughts on Space Invaders? (BTW, it was actually a pretty popular title at the table at Midwest Gaming Classic; lot of people wanted to try it out.)

This game will be covered on Episode 9.

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline is 11:59pm CDT on Wednesday, April 19. Any comments from after then will be addressed in a later episode.

• Like 2

It's the classic Space Invaders and then some. Once again, a fantastic port of a beloved Arcade game under the 7800 is delivered in spades. The straight up arcade original can be played, or a plethora of options can be selected, including various color schemes to match the overlays of variations and sequels (I.E. Space Invaders Part II, Space Invaders Deluxe, etc). There are a total of four different color schemes to choose from.

Colors are just the tip of the iceberg though, as the other options and features include: Moving Shields, No Shields, Zigzag Laser Bombs, No Laser Bombs, Fast Laser Bombs, and Invisible Invaders.

String two or three of the above options together and even the most seasoned of players will find it to be very challenging.

Mixing it up nicely when 2 players are involved, there is not only the typical alternating turn configuration, but a simultaneous play competition mode too.

Having Easter just around the corner, whether perceived as a treat or an egg, hold down the pause button during power up, wait for the title screen. You should see "Taito Corporation" being swapped back and forth with Bob's full name. Start up a game, and play with the older sister's sprites.

Sound is handled very well and graphics are managed under the 320 graphics mode looking beautiful. Although the Space Invaders movement by frame is absent, the game plays very smoothly with responsive controls.

Of course the Command Alien Ship is present, making it ever so tempting to go for those "Mystery" points.

Unless you absolutely hate Space Invaders, this is a most excellent port to own and a great addition to the 7800 library.

• Like 4

In the arcade, it moves one invader each frame. This gives the effect of a 'wave' of movement. In my port *all* invaders move within one frame, in lock-step (like the 2600 version). This was mostly because the invaders are not sprites, but tiles. It was started that way, and I didn't want to change it at the time.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

Don't have too much to add that hasn't already been said, but I really, really like the game. Just wish Space Invaders II/Deluxe was an option as there's enough of a difference going on with the sequel that I really enjoy. More so than the original truth be told, but it's all good. Just glad to have the best Space Invaders port for play on an Atari system after all this time. :)

Would really, really, *really*, LOVE a Lunar Rescue port some day. This Planet Sucks is good for what it is on the 2600, but there's some features and minutia (not to mention graphics quality) missing and feel the game deserves to see some proper love on the 7800. :love:

• Like 1

I was just able to acquire the Bob Decrescenzo 30th Anniversary multi-cart from the very generous and talented CPUWIZ. I thought since I needed to send feedback for Space Invaders it would be a great opportunity to test it out with that cart. Unfortunately the game totally froze up on me about halfway through the first wave of invaders. I have read that there we issues with a couple of games on this cart.

Luckily for me one the first three 7800 Home Brews I purchased from the AA Store was Bob's Space Invaders.

Taito's Space Invaders was one of the first video games that I ever saw or played at a bowling alley in the small AZ town that I grew up in.

Color option 1 (B/W) takes me right back to my first experience with Space Invaders. Especially playing with my Edladdin Supreme 78: All-Play 4/8.

Like others have shared in their reviews there are many great options and variations that make the simple play of Space Invaders different, fun and very challenging like the 2600 version. Speaking of the 2600 version the "Easter Egg" is a great nod to the original home version of Space Invaders that we all had to have.

I don't regret this purchase. My main reason for getting a 7800 last year was to finally acquire the console that I wanted to have back in the "ferg" to replace my 2600. I could never convince my parents to make that jump. I wanted a 7800 because of all the great arcade ports that were offered. While the 7800 arcade library is not as vast as the 2600, home brew authors like Bob and Ken have made my 7800 purchase very worth while with the great arcade ports that they have created.

This post is brought to you by: Edladdin Controllers, PacMan Plus and the Atari Age Store.

;)

• Like 2

No; at least, AFAIK, there was only ever one PacManPlus-authored Space Invaders, the one currently available in the AA store. It was included on the Bob DeCrescenzo Collection! multicart but for some reason the multicart version is buggy.

I believe it has to do with the shields and how I implemented them... It interfered with something on CPUWIZ's board. :( If you play it without shields, it works fine.

I think one other game on that multi-cart didn't work either... I forget which one off the top of my head.

The other game is Moon Cresta and the issue with that one is one of the enemies won't be visible. So you think you killed everyone but still hear the movement sound and then suddenly die because you collided with it or because it shot you and you couldn't see it or it firing on you.

And yes, the issue with Space Invaders has to do specifically with the invaders shots hitting the shields. Can't recall if it was a specific shield...etc. But I was able to isolate it to that. And yes playing without the shields it works fine on the Bob multicart.

• Like 1