Photo

Atari System 1 hardware documentation?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Luigi301 OFFLINE  

Luigi301

Moonsweeper

• 339 posts

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:30 PM

I'm looking for scans of documentation for the System 1 arcade board. I have some homebrew software up and running:

C9K5bsdXgAkKGw4.jpg

But I don't have any info on the 6502 program that controls sound, coin acceptance, and the 6522 VIA. The only documentation I have is a 14-page general hardware description retrieved from the offices of Atari's Ireland office and the MAME source. I know there used to be sites with lots of scanned internal documents but I'm not sure where they went...

Edited by Luigi301, Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 PM.

#2 philipj OFFLINE  

philipj

Moonsweeper

• 392 posts

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 PM

I wish I could help you with that... I've always wanted to program the Atari System 1, but my skill level isn't there yet. You might have to make your own sound driver for that thing or try and get in contact with someone who's familiar with MAME's version of the System 1 emulator driver. Until then, here's a few pdf files I have on it including the "Ireland info" minus a couple of pages at the end. Hopefully this will help you in some way.

Good luck.

Attached Files

Edited by philipj, Sun May 14, 2017 10:09 PM.

#3 Luigi301 OFFLINE  

Luigi301

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 339 posts

Posted Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:05 AM

Thanks, the Gauntlet book fills in some blanks from the Ireland hardware description. I was able to write my own BIOS ROM and a basic 6502 sound driver. The demo version from this video I made even got into HBMAME.

#4 philipj OFFLINE  

philipj

Moonsweeper

• 392 posts

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:42 AM

Man I think it's awesome to see something like that... The Atari System 1 was a great system; it would've been cool to see it consolized in some way even if it was a stripped down version of the original... I use to think of it as the "7800 that should've been". I have a question. Are you programming actual hardware or emulator only?

Edited by philipj, Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users