Photo

What kind of glue to repair peeling label?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

River Patroller

• 3,039 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 AM

My Jawbreaker cartridge has a very tiny spot peeling at the top left corner.   Is there any way to repair this without making it look bad/worse?

I was looking at the glue selection in CVS while waiting and they had about 15 different kinds of super glue.  They also had an Elmer's stick glue.

#2 helmsm OFFLINE  

helmsm

Space Invader

• 24 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:44 AM

I use a basic glue stick, works really well

#3 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 3,380 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:05 PM

glue stick works well enough most of the time

if I have to get extreme, Elmer's rubber cement but its wet so be careful, I usually only do that if the entire label just falls off and its on an uneven surface

Edited by Osgeld, Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 PM.

#4 MunsonRoyE OFFLINE  

MunsonRoyE

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:18 PM

I agree with the other comments about the glue stick. I have used it for NES, Genesis and Atari carts and it always works great.

#5 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Dragonstomper

• 955 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 PM

Elmers school glue is fine, just don't overdo it.

#6 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Dragonstomper

• 747 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 PM

I have always used the classic glue stick as well. Very safe, very effective, and completely reversible if need be. Using any kind of super glue is suicide. Complete insanity.

#7 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• 369 posts

Posted Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 PM

I also use glue stick, along with a couple not-too-tight rubber bands around the cart for a night or two. 

#8 spriggamortis OFFLINE  

spriggamortis

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:43 PM

For more substantial lifting or completely detached labels, I use a fast drying crafting spray adhesive, that's acid-free and colorless.  I mask off the entire cart with painters tape, leaving only the label area exposed.  A light spray on both surfaces (label underside and cart surface), wait 10 seconds for a bit of tackiness and get the job done.  I also wear a thin disposable rubber glove on the hand that is holding the cart/label whilst I spray.  I then remove the glove and use my clean hand to re-apply the label, stopping any spray glue residue being transferred onto the top of the label.

#9 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,351 posts

Posted Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:57 PM

I use a regular old glue stick as well. If it's just a corner of the label that's coming up I'll take a toothpick, scrape just a little dab off the top of the glue stick with it, then apply the glue to the underside of the label with the toothpick. Then once the label is pressed down you can use the clean end of the toothpick to clean up any excess glue around the edges of the label before the glue sets. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users