IGNORED

Racing game recommendations for use with steering wheel

Aside from some 90s era arcade games, I’ve never really played racing games with steering wheel controllers. For whatever reason I decided recently it would be a cool thing to try, so I picked up a Logitech Driving Force GT steering wheel from eBay for a decent price. I know there are better ones out there, but it seemed like a good balance between features and price for someone like me who wants a decent experience but is not a diehard. I'm in the process of building a sturdy seat/stand thing so I can leave it permanently set up in my basement.

Anyway, I’ve received the controller and the first thing I did was dust off the PS3 (for the first time in about 3 years, ha) and download Daytona USA from the PSN store. It’s an old arcade favorite of mine, and I must say, it plays great with the Driving Force GT—I played a few hours the other night and had a great time.

But Daytona is almost 25 years old, and while it has aged surprisingly well, I’m wondering what other racers people would recommend I try, to get the most out of this controller.

The Gran Turismo series is obvious, I’ve played most of those and dig them (and I do have a copy of #4 that I need to get back from a friend), but they might be a bit too “sim” for what I’m after. Especially since they make you do all those licenses and all that crap before you can really see the game. I just don’t have the time for that.

I don’t mind having to unlock things and progress in the game, but I definitely want good pick-up-and-play factor as well. For realism, I’m thinking anything in the range of being a little more arcade-y than GT, but perhaps a little more sim than Daytona (a wide range, I know).

I’m not a graphics snob. Heck, PS1 era graphics are fine if the game is fun.

I’ve got a PS3 and a pair of PS2s (both consoles can use the controller). I actually got to thinking how cool it would be to get another one of these wheels and set up a dual PS2 LAN, but I’m not sure what games (if any) provide that capability.

All recommendations/comments/suggestions welcome!

Thanks

One that gets overlooked a lot is Konami's Enthusia Professional Racing on ps2. I don't personally like the force feedback quite as much as GT4, but others swear by it, and it's a nice change. It is a bit sim-ish.

On PS3, I liked Ferrari Challenge more than I should have, because I think it's got the best tutorial mission in all of video gaming--a coached drive around Ferrari's Fiorano circuit with Tiff Needell. Forget the rest of the game, turn off the assists and keep playing the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MXlnJlL-U

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

For PS3 you NEED to get Gran Turismo 6, so far it's the best, and way better then GT5. The one problem with GT6 is the update process, it will take you few days to update it.

Another one is Dirt 3 for PS3

Oh, and the one that I enjoyed most is "Need For Speed Shift", very fun game, almost a SIM.

For PS2, GT3, TOCA Race Driver 3, and World Rally Championship, all very good games and work with steering wheel.

• Like 1

Codemasters made the DIRT series and some F-1 games that'll work with a steering wheel on the PS3. EA Need For Speed Shift and Shift 2.

Otherwise you can always check out this list on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_Racing_Wheels_compatible_games

If you can find the PS2 version of Test Drive: Eve of Destruction the game is well worth it.

Shortly after my OP, my PS3 blu-ray drive died and won't read any discs, so I ended up just downloading GT6 from the PSN store. After about 48 hours of downloading, updating, and installing, I was up and running.

I know I said I didn't want a hardcore sim game, but damn... this game is outstanding so far. I must say, I doubt I'd be interested if I had to use a dual shock controller, but regardless... this is the most fun I've had playing a modern game in ages.

I really like how they have made it a bit easier to get up and running with some cash and new cars. The last GT game I really tried to play was GT4, and I eventually just eighty-sixed it because I couldn't get anywhere with upgrades and grinding away on "easy" low-reward races was tedious. Not so with GT6 at all.

It's pretty arcade-y, but I've been enjoying Blur. Think Mario Kart meets underground street racing. The cars definitely feel more realistic than the karts in Mario, but there's all kinds of stuff you can do in the game that wouldn't be possible in real life. The graphics are pretty great and races get palm-sweatingly intense.

• Like 1

It's pretty arcade-y, but I've been enjoying Blur. Think Mario Kart meets underground street racing. The cars definitely feel more realistic than the karts in Mario, but there's all kinds of stuff you can do in the game that wouldn't be possible in real life. The graphics are pretty great and races get palm-sweatingly intense.

That sounds cool. Actually, last weekend I had this game in my hands at the used game store and was ready to buy it, but I ended up not getting it because a quick on-the-spot Google check revealed the game does not support steering wheels.