IGNORED

Namco Museum Coming to the Switch

Rick Dangerous

So apparently Namco museum is coming to the switch this summer:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/namco_museum_is_coming_to_nintendo_switch_this_summer

I have access to most of the games but it will be nice to play some more classic stuff on the Switch.

Anyone know or care what the full lineup is? :)

• Like 1

The full line up is right on the video that's floating around pasted around the edge 5 to a side (10 total.) It's also apparently a physical release too which is vital as more store shelf coverage by non-NIntendo product is a good thing.

Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaga 88, Tower of Druaga, Sky Kid, Splatterhouse, ROlling Thunder, ROlling Thunder 2, and some tank game the name escapes me on is the line-up. $30.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

http://nintendotoday.com/namco-museum-brings-10-classic-namco-games-to-switch-this-summer/

Talk about lazy or uninformed reporting:

Namco Museum has been a long running series, first released on the PlayStation, and since then, it’s been released in different volumes on various systems over the last 20 years.

This is the first time the series is coming to a Nintendo home console since the N64.

----

There are 2 versions on GameCube and 2 versions on Wii.

As well as GBA and DS versions.

• Like 1

It would be nice for Galaga 88 alone. As far as I know it's never been released on one of these compilations before? I have Galaga 90 on the TG-16 which is pretty much the same thing but this is cool regardless. I really like the Wii Namco megamix, lots of great unknown games on that compilation too.

On consoles, Galaga '88 actually has been a Namco Museum regular since the 50th Anniversary Edition on the GameCube/PS2/Xbox. It skipped the Wii though over both iterations, but the great TurboGrafx-16 port was just a few clicks away on the Virtual Console shop.

Hopefully the continue function is intact here for a change.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Then there was GAPLUS, which I downloaded for Wii Virtual Console but found overly frustraiting because if you die before the initial formation is complete, you restart the entire stage instead of spawning immediately where it left off. This has led to multiple instances of repeated cheap deaths as the same enemy went kamikaze on my ass twice. I'd love to see some of the later waves, but it is brutal.

I haven't tried the arcade implementation of Galaga '88 but the '90 Turbografx port (renamed so not to sound last year lame) is incredible, even if the bright backgrounds can get distracting.

=== === === === ===

Sadly, no mention of Ms Pacman again. Maybe Namco wants to pretend it don't exist. Last time it graced a Nintendo console in any form was during the Game Cube years, with the lone exception the Namco Museum on Wii-U GBA VC. And I secretly wish that they could have added Ms Pacman and Jr Pacman to the Namco 35th anniversary plug and play in lieu of Pac-n-Pal (enhancement of Super Pacman) and Pacman Plus (enhancement of Pacman). I shoved the guts in a cigar box and it's wonderful, but I long for a plug-n-play Ms Pacman on my CRT that's arcade accurate. The old ones seem to go for too much on Amazon/eBay...

It's odd ... I don't think they are burying it, but I agree that it should be front and center here.

If you look, Ms. Pac-Man is everywhere ... the old XBLA version is backwards compatible with XBOne, there's a PS4 collection with it, and the iOS Ms Pac-Man was just updated with controller support a few weeks ago. The Google Play version was updated around the same time. All of them have the Namco Bandai name all over them, so it's not like this is Midway holding things back.

Maybe they will unlock it for a price, along with the remixes of Galaga, Xevious, Mappy, and others. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it's one way to "get their foot in the door" with a low base price and only charge people for the extras that they really want. If that happens, I'll likely pay for the upgrade, but "what if the servers go down" guys are gonna have a hard time.

Remember when Ms Pac-Man was the very first Xbox Live game, back when the online service was new, several years before the 360 came out?

Warblade, now that's interesting and something I never heard of. I guess that's like what Galaga 5? If you take 88 and Gaplus and 3 and 4? I wonder if it runs ok on a modern computer though as I see when it won awards over a decade ago.

The Amiga game was totally unlicensed, it's a riff on the old game kinda like Llamatron is to Robotron.

This is obviously not going to be a system seller, but it's a series that really should be available on any game system. I have an old PS2 version, but it would be nice to have it on an HD system. Pretty sure I'll get this... here's hoping that more editions come out. I'd "Day 1" an edition with Super Pac-Man in it.

Well for whatever reason I guess Apple delisted it as Warblade isn't showing up on ios. I was going to pop the couple bucks for it as it looked fun. Back in the DOS era there was this wicked game along these lines called Galactix which I really enjoyed and surprises me no one ever dug that gem back up for some android or ios money.

Galaga Wars right? I never grabbed it as it looked like a painful coin grab where you pay by the quarter (in packs) to play which to me is 100% pure bullshit which Namco started doing some years ago on certain games instead of letting it just be bought so I avoided it.

Not sure how Phoenix2 works, seen it listed. I'm kind of surprised that a stand alone Galaga isn't on there as they still have and maintain the older PacMan and MsPacMan which can be bought outright too.

They've done Galaga a lot in the past few years, including a mashup with Tekken and a 30th anniversary collection. It's a minor shame they don't support/keep them in store, but I think Galaga Wars (the current iteration) is best anyway.

The extra purchases are cosmetic (though the persistent ones like the doubler are worth getting) and it's not pay to win. It's fun. Here's a good review of it.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/11/16/galaga-wars-review/

I think the industry has matured a little bit past total pure evil cynical greed, to the point that some free to start games aren't awful. Pac-Man 256 is in this mode as well. It's more Crossy Road than FarmVille.

I'm familiar with Pac-Man 256. They even shoved that one on their latest plug in TV game, the one that the joystick looks like an oversized 8bit pac-man head. I found a smashed box new product at the flea last year and it supplies some occasional fun for me or the kid.

wrong game, thats the one with the killscreen. this new pac man 256 is a completely different game:

https://venturebeat.com/2016/05/23/pac-man-256-comes-to-playstation-4-xbox-one-and-pc-with-multiplayer/

later

Edited by negative1