IGNORED

Most irritating final boss fight.

mbd30

My pick is Adventures of Bayou Billy for the NES.

I started playing this about a week ago. I've reached the final boss twice. Couldn't do it. The game's main villain is incredibly easy as long as you have the whip and bullet proof vest. It's his two bodyguards that you must fight afterward that are such a pain in the thumb.

They're two huge guys with a long reach who constantly follow you. If they get close, you take damage. You have to avoid them while continuously moving around in circles... with a NES controller, and hit them with the whip when you have a chance. You can't stop moving. It isn't easy staying away from them either. The thumb pain sets in fast. And they take FOREVER to kill. You hit them and hit them and hit them and the health meter doesn't even go down. It's an exercise in self-torture. I would like to beat this game, but it's going to be rough.

The driving stages also suck ass, especially the second one. I do like this game for the most part, but it could have been better.

• Like 1

Bosses like that just seem so spammy and poorly designed, as if someone was just assigning random but ever-escalating numbers, without bothering to think whether it would be any fun to play.

It's a game with huge potential that was botched with some lousy design choices. The driving stages should be more forgiving. The final boss should have way less health. I don't mind difficulty, but not when it's at the expense of fun.

Still I keep trying so it must be doing something right.

I liked it for much the same reason I liked Golgo 13, lots of variety with running, jumping, driving, shooting. I just wish it were ...better.

Not that I've touched it in thirty years, though. o.O

The graphics, sound and music are really good. I love the whole Louisiana setting and atmosphere. The gameplay is good for the most part. It's mainly the second driving stage and final boss fight that try my patience.

I'm looking back to my NES days... Thunderbird in Zelda II gave me grief for a little while. His fire rain can pile up on you. I have to say though that it is a fun boss fight and well done, especially how he gradually steps up his game as you get more hits on him.

Dracula in the first Castlevania can be a tough one. Also a fun fight, but one that requires some deep breaths and methodical movement, for the first form which is harder than the birdman I think. Whenever I get pissed is when I die.

It sounds silly, but the upper level King Koopas used to do me in on the first SMB. The jumping, hammers throws and fire are a lot to deal with.

Edited by toptenmaterial

I'm looking back to my NES days... Thunderbird in Zelda II gave me grief for a little while. His fire rain can pile up on you. I have to say though that it is a fun boss fight and well done, especially how he gradually steps up his game as you get more hits on him.

Dracula in the first Castlevania can be a tough one. Also a fun fight, but one that requires some deep breaths and methodical movement, for the first form which is harder than the birdman I think. Whenever I get pissed is when I die.

It sounds silly, but the upper level King Koopas used to do me in on the first SMB. The jumping, hammers throws and fire are a lot to deal with.

These are nothing compared to the hell that awaits at the end of Bayou Billy.

• Like 2

100% Agreed. Bayou Billy was hands down one of the hardest games I ever beat. There are several points in the game that can be quite frustrating & challenging. But that final boss sequence is a complete nightmare. Back in the day it caused me unhealthy fits of rage & anger; throwing the controller, pulling the cartridge out & chucking it halfway across the room, I even called Nintendo yelling at the game play counselor, who hung up on me.

To this day, the intense beat of that boss music sends chills down my spine. But, the sweet melodious sound of that ending music was so euphoric. I was elated when I finally got it. Felt the same emotions with Top Gun II. The thing is, if it was a Konami game, I had to see & hear everything. That's what drove me back then. No game genie. No save state cheat. None of that wussy crap man. Back then, you just had to man up. (we even VHS recorded whenever we beat NES games so we could prove it in case someone doubted or didn't believe us) The original TMNT, Mega Man 1, Castlevania 3, etc. Dude! Some of these were tough games to beat. Damn. What an era that was.

100% Agreed. Bayou Billy was hands down one of the hardest games I ever beat. There are several points in the game that can be quite frustrating & challenging. But that final boss sequence is a complete nightmare. Back in the day it caused me unhealthy fits of rage & anger; throwing the controller, pulling the cartridge out & chucking it halfway across the room, I even called Nintendo yelling at the game play counselor, who hung up on me.

Made it to the boss three times and still haven't succeeded. I counted how many hits it takes while watching a Youtube playthrough and it was almost 60.

It must be sweet relief when you do finally do kill those guys and then grab some ice for your thumb, lol.

Don't forget the Shadow Link that you have to deal with right after Thunderbird. No chance to fully restore health and magic in between makes this a challenging game back in the day. Today's young generation probably won't last through Thunderbird at all, they have been spoiled by easy games.

Ever played Who Framed Roger Rabbit on NES? That one has a very frustrating and hard boss which is a mix of Judge Doom and the giant dip mobile that does it's own garbage too while you have to climb up onto it to get at the Judge. It's not a few hit thing, is it on you, but with him it's a lot of work and really not worth the effort. Check a video you'll see.

• Like 1

Don't forget the Shadow Link that you have to deal with right after Thunderbird. No chance to fully restore health and magic in between makes this a challenging game back in the day. Today's young generation probably won't last through Thunderbird at all, they have been spoiled by easy games.

That's right! The trick with Shadow Link is to duck in the corner and stab, though. The kids today probably wouldn't be into all the tedious grinding. There are plenty of tough games, however. I think the first party Nintendo ones, like DK Country Returns, can pack quite a wallop.

Ever played Who Framed Roger Rabbit on NES? That one has a very frustrating and hard boss which is a mix of Judge Doom and the giant dip mobile that does it's own garbage too while you have to climb up onto it to get at the Judge. It's not a few hit thing, is it on you, but with him it's a lot of work and really not worth the effort. Check a video you'll see.

Never played Roger Rabbit but Judge Doom looks like a contender.