IGNORED

Pitfall 2 box

reklen

I was at a garage sale on Saturday, found a box with Atari stuff in it. A dirty 7800 with the joysticks, and all hookups, including the adaptor, two 2600 games in the box, two 5200 games in the box, a 5200 Missle command box with overlays, but no game, and weirdest of all, a complete in box 5200 Pitfall. A that doesn't even say Atari5200 on it. I has a foldout cover, like a movie poster. Is this the normal box?

I don't think so. MIne says Atari 5200 at the bottom. Could you take a picture of the box and poster? I just looked though and my Activision Space Shuttle doesn't have a system name on it. I seem to recall some of the Actvision games using yellow stickers that would say "Atari 5200" or "Atari 2600", etc.

Allan

Keep in mind that Activision pretty much used one box for many of their game releases. Shuttle is a good example in that I believe some of the 5200 carts were actually shipped in 2600 labeled boxes or vice versa. And I think on several of them they did have stickers, but I also recall them using cardboard bands around some of them at the bottom that also had the system names on them?

I recall Activision using a single box for multiple systems but cannot recall which method they used to identify which system the box was for.

At some point Acitivison went with a one-size-fits-all box design. The box was the same for all releases and they had a universal tray insert that fit all supported cart types and floppy disks. The way they identified for which system the enclosed game supported was that they added a small cardboard label that intertwined with the bottom box flap. It listed the system name and requirements (if applicable).

At some point Acitivison went with a one-size-fits-all box design. The box was the same for all releases and they had a universal tray insert that fit all supported cart types and floppy disks. The way they identified for which system the enclosed game supported was that they added a small cardboard label that intertwined with the bottom box flap. It listed the system name and requirements (if applicable).

That last part is what I was thinking about in regards to the cardboard bands. And I know about the trays as well. I picked up a HERO in the box that I thought was for the Atari 8-bit line when I looked at it only for it to actually end up being the C64 version. But the tray was very odd and it took me a bit to find a position the cart would sit in the tray and stay put properly.

• 2 weeks later...

The box you describe is very much like the box for my Atari 8-bit Pitfall II Lost Caverns box that I got with my Atari 800XL.

17366e8a33bf02a92a30c68d41d8ae71.jpg

I don't think my box shows the platform anywhere but it does have the movie poster on the inside flap complete with a fake PG rating. My box does say "Lost Caverns," which does not apply to the 2600 version. Perhaps they used the same box between Atari 5200 and Atari 8-but home computers?

Huh? The game was subtitled "Lost Caverns" on all platforms.

Sorry. Mixed it up with "Adventurer's Edition" which marketing, apparently, wanted to strip from the home computer and 5200 versions of the game. Even that designation seems to be only on the title screens.