IGNORED

Impulse buys

Opry99er

I tend to make impulse buys of things when I have a few extra dollars. I'm sure most of you have done that at one time or another in your lives as well, given the nature of our hobby. :D

Never heard of this brand before, But got a pretty sweet deal on a case of 5.25 floppy disks, sealed. 10 packs of 10.

Screenshot_20170417-014551-01_zps5qede0w

Screenshot_20170417-014622-01_zpsvwa9oat

Hope they work out...

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

Interesting... My disks arrived.

20170421_134454_zpsiv7cn28c.jpg

20170421_134501_zps1lhjdtwj.jpg

20170421_134600_zpsdciptsr3.jpg

Every disk shows as "Write Protected" in DM2 and DM1000.

Not sure why exactly... There is no tape over the notch.

Could it be a hard-sector disk? The listing said it could be reformatted for Apple, Commodore, etc.

Every disk shows as "Write Protected" in DM2 and DM1000.

Not sure why exactly... There is no tape over the notch.

This should not happen (yes, the least helpful comment that came to my mind ... :) )

But indeed, write protection is hardware-based; there is a contact on the side, maybe a light sensor, and there is a separate line on the Shugart bus leading to the disk controller. That is, there is normally no way to prevent or produce that situation deliberately via software or via data on the disk. Maybe you could check with a working floppy disk whether there is something wrong with that notch (not a the right position, bad shape, whatever ...).

Yes, the floppies are identical. From the anti-bend notches by the media window to the write prot3ct notch. The index hole is in the same place and it is precisely the same size. If you lay one on top of the other, they match up flawlessly.

I have never experienced this before.

It could be that pin 36 is erroneously set to "low" for one reason or another. But if that is the case, I should not be able to save an XB program to disk, correct?

I'll try to go down and give it a try again later...

Any other ideas for testing would be much appreciated. :)

From my side, no more ideas at this moment. I think your (old) hardware problem still exists, or a part of that problem :(

If shipping wouldn´t be so expensive I would send u a pile of stuff for more testing/comparing.

I really hope you´re going to find something small problem.

Can you point me back to the original thread(s) for that problem, I cannot find it here in the forum.

From my side, no more ideas at this moment. I think your (old) hardware problem still exists, or a part of that problem :(

If shipping wouldn´t be so expensive I would send u a pile of stuff for more testing/comparing.

I really hope you´re going to find something small problem.

Can you point me back to the original thread(s) for that problem, I cannot find it here in the forum.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245337-more-disk-issues/page-1

• Like 1

It seems more has happened.

I tried to reformat a known good/working disk. It did not go well.

20170422_173339_zpst9iuswmd.jpg

I then tried to format one of the new disks again and it went even worse.

20170422_173546_zpskpr3vcfb.jpg

So... I am guessing I need a deep cleaning or maybe a new drive entirely...

• Like 1

Took the drive apart and cleaned the head... it had some junk on it.

20170422_193236_zpsfj9coz9d.jpg

Once put back in, it reads fine, but now considers all drives to be Write Protected. I looked at the Write protection mechanism, and it seems to be in working order. The switch clicks properly when the tab pops up into the notch.

20170422_200428_zpsc9jzefw9.jpg

I followed the brown and black wires back to the edge connector that attaches to the PCB. All looks to be in order.

The felt pad on the top arm seems to be a bit tattered... if I remember correctly, it was very tight and firm last time I was in this drive. Not sure if that would have anything to do with anything.

Hey schmitzi,

What I meant to say is that my 3.5" drives have no issues at all with any disk or file functions. The 5.25 will not do anything useful currently.

I don't have the ability to set up my 5.25 as DSK2 due to cabling and configuration limitations.

• Like 1

ah OK, I just thought: Dismount all drives except the 5.25"er, and jumper it to DSK2 (or 3), to see if it works.

AND, vice versa, connect your 3.5" (also alone!) as DSK1 to see if this works.

Then you exactly know wether your 5.25"er ist defective, and what controller and cable "say", in general.

Hey schmitzi,

What I meant to say is that my 3.5" drives have no issues at all with any disk or file functions. The 5.25 will not do anything useful currently.

I don't have the ability to set up my 5.25 as DSK2 due to cabling and configuration limitations.

Does your 5.25 drive have termination set up correctly ?