IGNORED

130XE keyboard fixes, etc... ? Multiple questions.

JamesD

It turns out not all my computers burned with my house.
Apparently, I had placed several in storage including an Atari 130XE!
The 130XE has a bad trace in the mylar. I already tracked down where the break is and was going to fix it with a pen you can draw traces with.
But I see Best Electronics has new mylar and new key cups that improve the feel of the keyboard.
So I have several questions.

1. If you have fixed a 130XE keyboard with a trace pen or defroster repair kit, how long did the repair last?
2. If you replaced the mylar, have you had any problems since?
3. My keyboard has springs under the space bar, shift keys, etc... but not under the alpha numeric keys. Will the new key "cups" work with my keyboard?
4. Do the new cups really improve the feel of the keyboard that much?

I'm leaning towards the cheap fix at the moment and then replace the mylar and cups if it fails again.
But I might install an Antonia. I've I'm going to spend that much and perform that level of surgery, I might as well improve the keyboard while I'm at it.

5. Has anyone modded a PC power supply to use with their Atari? I have a MicroATX power supply somewhere that would be more than powerful enough. If there's an adapter cable somewhere that might be my best option.

Back in the day - when I had a 130XE - I did not like the resistance of the keys when typing - so I had a friend make a cheap fix for this.

He cut little diamond holes (about 3? in each) into the plastic cups underneath the keys - so that you can now more easily press down on the keys.

It did seem to make it that little bit better for touch typing.

I did not end up keeping the 130XE because I sold off all my 8-bit Atari hardware - Atari 800, Atari 600XL (upgraded to 64K) and 130XE - as it was the only way to afford a 1040ST, then Amiga 600 - etc etc.

Harvey

• Like 1

I like the look of the 130XE keyboard but it feels like there's dead flesh supporting the keys.
But then I have plenty of 8 bit machines with horrible keyboards.
I had a TS-1500 and odd layout aside... you are directly typing on the dead flesh.
Eeewww

I'm not sure the 130XE keyboard sucks bad enough for me to want to cut holes in 60ish rubber key supports.
I liked my 800 but it swims with the fishes and a new one with another Incognito upgrade isn't going to happen.
I'd rather spend the money on a cheap mechanical keyboard with some custom keycaps along with a PC keyboard adapter.

*edit*
I suppose if someone wanted to cut holes in the rubber key supports, they could use a small diamond shaped hole punch.
That would be fairly quick if it worked.

Edited by JamesD

It turns out not all my computers burned with my house.

Apparently, I had placed several in storage including an Atari 130XE!

The 130XE has a bad trace in the mylar. I already tracked down where the break is and was going to fix it with a pen you can draw traces with.

But I see Best Electronics has new mylar and new key cups that improve the feel of the keyboard.

So I have several questions.

1. If you have fixed a 130XE keyboard with a trace pen or defroster repair kit, how long did the repair last?

2. If you replaced the mylar, have you had any problems since?

3. My keyboard has springs under the space bar, shift keys, etc... but not under the alpha numeric keys. Will the new key "cups" work with my keyboard?

4. Do the new cups really improve the feel of the keyboard that much?

I'm leaning towards the cheap fix at the moment and then replace the mylar and cups if it fails again.

But I might install an Antonia. I've I'm going to spend that much and perform that level of surgery, I might as well improve the keyboard while I'm at it.

5. Has anyone modded a PC power supply to use with their Atari? I have a MicroATX power supply somewhere that would be more than powerful enough. If there's an adapter cable somewhere that might be my best option.

3. yes

4. definitely, much better feel than the mushy stock keyboard, i actually like typing on my 130XE now :)

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1