IGNORED

Antic Magazine ATRs

Allan

I know there are a couple of threads on this but I figured I start another one. I have started copying the original Antic magazine disks and posting them on Atarimania.com. About half of what I have have errors. Maybe they used cheap disks. I don't know. I'm glad I'm looking at these now. I think we better start archiving the rest of them before it's too late.

So far I got four up. Keep in mind that a lot of them had stuff on both sides but sometimes people didn't realize this and only copied side A.

So far I got four up.

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=8&type=U&publisher=2925&licence=7&step=50

Allan

• Like 3

There are a lot of them there but some are incomplete. The early stuff is missing as well as the Antic in STart magazine stuff is not there. The Antic in STart magazine stuff I gathered in one place in another thread here.

Allan

There are a lot of them there but some are incomplete. The early stuff is missing as well as the Antic in STart magazine stuff is not there.

I was just referring to the 8-bit Antic stuff. What early stuff is missing? Is there a list?

Thumpnugget's Antic disk collection is 132 ATR's.

I was just referring to the 8-bit Antic stuff. What early stuff is missing? Is there a list?

Thumpnugget's Antic disk collection is 132 ATR's.

The last 6? issues of Antic were in STart magazine.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255586-start-magazine-a8-software-last-six-issues/?hl=%2Bstart+%2Bantic+%2Bmagazine+%2Bprograms

Allan

• Like 1

OK, thanks, I wasn't aware of that -- although I may have heard it before and just never gave it any thought.

BTW, the link you give for the STart / Antic index is wrong (where you posted the disks). It's not your mistake, though, Savetz's links are incorrect; it just leads to an index for Antic magazine, rather than Antic-in-STart as it's supposed to.

I ask again though, what early disks are missing, or supposed missing?

Edited by MrFish

OK, thanks, I wasn't aware of that -- although I may have heard it before and just never gave it any thought.

BTW, the link you give for the STart / Antic index is wrong (where you posted the disks). It's not your mistake, though, Savetz's links are incorrect; it just leads to an index for Antic magazine, rather than Antic-in-STart as it's supposed to.

I ask again though, what early disks are missing, or supposed missing?

It's not the link, it's the attachment below it that has the 8-bit ATR's for the 6 issues of Start.

I do not have a list of the the exact issues and programs that are missing. I just know some of them are missing. The early issues might have one or two of the games in the issue but other stuff is missing. For example, they did programs in other languages like LOGO and PILOT and those are not on those disks usually.

Allan

It's not the link, it's the attachment below it that has the 8-bit ATR's for the 6 issues of Start.

I do not have a list of the the exact issues and programs that are missing. I just know some of them are missing. The early issues might have one or two of the games in the issue but other stuff is missing. For example, they did programs in other languages like LOGO and PILOT and those are not on those disks usually.

Allan

Complete list of Antic Magazines
Antic began publication 4/82, Volume 1, Issue 1.
They were bi-monthly for the first Volume, six issues.
Starting 4/83 (Vol. 2:1), Antic became monthly.
They published monthly until 9/89, missing only one month
(5/84), making the volume year end with April issue instead
of March issue. That's 65 consecutive monthly issues from
2:1 to 8:5.
Starting 10-11/89, Antic became bi-monthly again (issue
8:6), and were bi-monthly for only 5 issues. Volume 8 only
had 8 issues. 10-11/89 (8:6), 12-1/89-90 (8:7), 2-3/90
(8: 8 ), 4-5/90 (9:1) and 6-7/90 (9:2), <-- the last issue of
a separate Antic. There was no 8-9/90 Antic. Then Antic was
put as a section of STart magazine for 4 issues (10, 11, 12,
1/90-91). Then STart, still with an Antic 8-bit section,
went bi-monthly for the last 2 issues (2-3/91 and 4-5/91)
then STart folded and that was the end of Antic and STart.
List of Issues/Volumes:
Vol. 1 - Six issues (4-5/82, 1:1) to 2-3/83, 1:6)
Vol. 2 - 12 issues, all monthly
4/83, 2:1 to 3/84, 2:12
Vol. 3 - 12 issues, but no 5/84, so Volume year now ends
April instead of March.
4/84, 3:1, (no 5/84), 6/84, 3:2 to 4/85, 3:12.
Vol. 4 - 12 issues, 5/85, 4:1 to 4/86, 4:12.
Vol. 5 - 12 issues, 5/86, 5:1 to 4/87, 5:12.
Vol. 6 - 12 issues, 5/87, 6:1 to 4/88, 6:12.
Vol. 7 - 12 issues, 5/88, 7:1 to 4/89, 7:12.
Vol. 8 - 8 issues.
5/89 (8:1), 6/89 (8:2), 7/89 (8:3), 8/89 (8:4),
9/89 (8:5), then bi-monthly 10-11/89 (8:6),
12-1/89-90 (8:7), 2-3/90 (8: 8 ).
Vol. 9 - 2 issues.
4-5/90 (9:1), 6-7/90 (9:2) <-- Last issue of
separate Antic. No 8-9/90 Antic.
Then Antic was put as section of STart magazine for 4
monthly issues (10, 11, 12, 1/90-91). Then STart went
bi-monthly (2-3/91 and 4-5/91) <-- Last issue of STart with
Antic section.
That's 94 issues total, including issues in STart, 88
separate issues of Antic.
Russ Gilbert
Edited by russg
  • Like 6

Here's what I have in terms of physical original Antic disks.

I just copied these from the original Antic-labeled disks a few minutes ago.

Not much, but maybe something that is missing is in here...

ANTv3-9.atr

ANTv4-7.atr

ANTMSCPa.atr

ANTMSCPb.atr

CASTEN1.atr

CASTEN2.atr

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 2

I know this is veering off the topic of Antic disks, but here are a couple of other things I ripped to ATR's off original disks while I was at it:

APX Atariwriter printer drivers 2.0 by Gary Furr

Schematic Designer by Alpha Systems

Note that Schematic Designer wouldn't auto-load ( the original disk had this issue too it seems), but if you load DOS first and then binary load the file called "ABC" it seems to run fine. Edit: Also I should clarify that Schematic Designer was NOT copied off of an original disk ( it had been copied onto the back side of an original Antic disk, so that's why I copied it anyway). It seems to have been a cracked copy, so that probably explains why it isn't loading properly. Everything else I just posted was copied directly from original disks.

APXDRV20.atr

SCHEMDES.atr

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 2

Here's the entire collection of 132 ATR's that were included on the Antic DVD's from AA User Thumpnugget.

The HTML doc gives the complete file list. The filenames each give details about corresponding issue, date, contents, disk side, etc.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

Schematic Designer by Alpha Systems

Note that Schematic Designer wouldn't auto-load ( the original disk had this issue too it seems), but if you load DOS first and then binary load the file called "ABC" it seems to run fine.

Here's a copy from the Holmes archive that's fully working and boots into the app.

Schematic Designer.atr

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

I'm finding that some of the Antic disk images in Thumpnugget's collection don't work. (No critisizm of Thumpnugget.) For example, the two disks from Dec. 87. crash my emulator and crash on my 130XE. I can list the programs if I use another DOS 2.0 from another disk. I just can't boot from either side of those two disk images. There are a couple of other disks that are like that as well. I have a real disk of Dec.87 but side b gives be errors. Anybody have another image of side B or figure out what's wrong. I included a correct version of side A.

Allan

Antic Dec. 87.zip

Antic_Dec_87_A.atr.zip

• Like 3

I'd never run most of them, but it looks like there is just a simple problem with one of the boot files that causes the crash.

I just took the DOS.SYS, DUP.SYS, and AUTORUN.SYS from a working disk and used them to replace the same on the non-working disks and they work fine.

I noticed there are some others too, with most likely the same ailment. I'll try to get them fixed up when I have time and then repost the collection.

Here are the Dec '87 disks:

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I'd never run most of them, but it looks like there is just a simple problem with one of the boot files that causes the crash.

I just took the DOS.SYS, DUP.SYS, and AUTORUN.SYS from a working disk and used them to replace the same on the non-working disks and they work fine.

I noticed there are some others too, with most likely the same ailment. I'll try to get them fixed up when I have time and then repost the collection.

Here are the Dec '87 disks:

attachicon.gifAntic Magazine Disks - Dec '87.zip

Thanks, Mr.Fish,

Allan

I just took a snapshot of the Dec.87 disk A that I copied and the one from Thumpnugget's collection. They both say Dec.87 side A but the program listings are different. Arrg!

It looks like the extra files on "Side A" of your disk are just on "Side B" of Thumpnuggets disks. So maybe some disk sets released just had different file arrangements, but still all the same files when combining both disks.

Edited by MrFish

Alright, I went through all the disks and there were about 15 with the same boot problem.

All of them have been fixed, and I took down the other archive I posted. Here's the repaired collection.

Let me know if you find any other issues.

Antic Disks - File List.html

Antic Magazine Disks.zip

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

It looks like the extra files on "Side A" of your disk are just on "Side B" of Thumpnuggets disks. So maybe some disk sets released just had different file arrangements, but still all the same files when combining both disks.

I could be. Hopefully not a lot of them are like this.

Thanks,

Allan

Alright, I went through all the disks and there were about 15 with the same boot problem.

I've gone through and fixed them all, and I took down the other archive I posted. Here's the repaired collection.

Let me know if you find any other issues.

Thank you. That will save me some time. If I find anything else I will post it.

Allan

I don't see any problem with it, as long as all the files are there and everything works as it should.

It's not a big deal. It just adds to the work since if I have an disk image that came from the 'Net', I just need to be sure it hasn't been altered in any way (missing or added files, etc.).

Allan

It's not a big deal. It just adds to the work since if I have an disk image that came from the 'Net', I just need to be sure it hasn't been altered in any way (missing or added files, etc.).

Makes sense. What I was proposing, though, is that Antic themselves may have released the disks in different configurations like this, possibly based on the size disks they had available/on hand.

For instance, the collection I have is mostly composed of 88K disks (91K in ATR form), and just a few 127K disks (131 in ATR form).

What size disk is that one you have from Dec '87?

Edited by MrFish

I just had a look and they were both 88K disks. So apparently not the case.

Well, as I say, no matter the reason, as long as the contents are there and they work, then it's all good for me.

I can understand you need to verify them for Atarimania. There may be some information available in the threads where Thumpnugget was discussing putting these DVD's together. I doubt he owned and imaged the complete collection himself.