IGNORED

Custom PC keyboards. Anyone interested in a Tandy layout for emulation?

JamesD

This company lets you design custom keyboards.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

You can choose the color of the keys and even have custom text/graphics printed on the keys.
The attacjed photo shows a color scheme that matches the CoCo fairly well and I've even designed a modified key text to go with it. (not pictured)
The alignment on the additional text isn't perfect. If someone is interested, maybe someone that has the time can cleanup the custom layer with the Tandy key text additions. The arrow symbols could be more prominent as well.
One question... where should the CLEAR key go? On the key to the left of enter? On the ESC key? ????
I thought about adding MC-10 graphics symbols as well, but that would require a lot more work than I want to put into it.

Atariage won't let me attach the inkscape file so I'll have to share it another way.

post-10422-0-32116100-1492476337_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

The company posted this video comparison demonstrating the sound of different key switches with and without the O-Rings.

FWIW, you can create additional custom keycaps for the keyboard so you could modify the keyboard for emulation of other systems.
The keycap set for the keyboard in the first post is $45.

I looked for other keyboards they would fit on. Genuine cherry switch keyboards wouldn't really be any cheaper.
It's tough to say if the cheaper keyboards with cherry knockoff key switches have the same key dimensions.
I did find a couple videos on keyboards with cherry knockoffs, and if they work, a non-backlit keyboard could be had for as little as $30.

At $35, this looks pretty nice, and the RGB backlit version is only $3 more. A full keyboard only comes in black. :(
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6HJPNS/

Anyway, a custom key set for that would be $47 is the keys fit, and it would look something like the attached picture.
At under $100, this seems like a much better option. A full keyboard would be over $100.
Keep in mind, there may be a cheaper manufacturer for the custom keys, I haven't looked yet.

I haven't worked on a template for text for this key layout.

post-10422-0-24463100-1492535392_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesD

I checked other custom key manufacturers, and unless you were buying some large volume set they had pre-printed, they have been more expensive so far.
O-Rings to make the keyboard quieter can be had for under $10 on Amazon and I found once source that was under $3, but I don't know what shipping would be.

This keyboard might work, but the custom key layout would have to change around the ENTER key. $20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1YKW8V

The keyboard might look something like the attached photo.

That keyboard drops one of the extra keys in favor of a wider left shift key.

WASD doesn't offer a keyboard like that and you'd have to see if they can provide a wider left shift key instead.

I'm sure they could do it, I just don't know if they would want to.

That may not be the only difference though.

Edited by JamesD

That keyboard drops one of the extra keys in favor of a wider left shift key.

WASD doesn't offer a keyboard like that and you'd have to see if they can provide a wider left shift key instead.

I'm sure they could do it, I just don't know if they would want to.

That may not be the only difference though.

Actually, there is a comment right on the page that lets you set up the key colors and keyboard style about custom key widths.

So they would probably provide the correct key no problem.