IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Ok dumb question for those that have one: I noticed tonight that the music was getting more and more out of tune in Street Fighter II Turbo. Is the cartridge version on a real SNES like that? It was really bad on Vega and Sagat stage, and on the special stages. Ryu's ending is either clunkily-voiced or instruments were played in the wrong octave.

I only ever played the Genesis version where the voices are garbled but the music is amazing. I was surprised the music took such a step backwards on the SNES. The voices and effects are nice, though.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Ok dumb question for those that have one: I noticed tonight that the music was getting more and more out of tune in Street Fighter II Turbo. Is the cartridge version on a real SNES like that? It was really bad on Vega and Sagat stage, and on the special stages. Ryu's ending is either clunkily-voiced or instruments were played in the wrong octave.

Dunno.. does it sound like it here as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Usyp6OBAa8&t=5h5m20s

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Does the model come with the SNES? She's clearly topless in the last two photos. Some random chicks boobs have literally been on that SNES Mini...

Scalpers had better unload these quick. Nintendo will be restocking by the boat loads. My Best Buy had plenty today at lunch, in the cage up front by the cash registers. Sorry I didn't get pics of them... :P

• Like 4

Scalpers had better unload these quick. Nintendo will be restocking by the boat loads. My Best Buy had plenty today at lunch, in the cage up front by the cash registers. Sorry I didn't get pics of them... :P

I hope they wind up stuck with stockpiles of them. Having to sell them off at retail prices and they're out the time and gas money they spent being useless wastes of human flesh.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 5

The spec's for the cpu/gpu in the snes classic. https://linux-sunxi.org/R16 Now compare those to the computer you bought in 1998. :ponder:

Any android tablet or cell phone or even a raspberry pi will kick your typical 1998 pc in terms of raw performance. This includes the ARM in the NES / SNES classic. So what?

Any android tablet or cell phone or even a raspberry pi will kick your typical 1998 pc in terms of raw performance. This includes the ARM in the NES / SNES classic. So what?

It's cool to see how far hardware has come since then. :cool: I never have had a cell phone or tablet or Raspberry Pi. So I never cared about what hardware was running them before. I'm a desktop and copper kind of guy.

Dunno.. does it sound like it here as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Usyp6OBAa8&t=5h5m20s

Yes, so apparently it's a game issue. Yikes. :o

Something strange with the hacks on my unit. Retroarch only makes fuzzy noises, if it makes any noises at all. The one exception is Ryu throwing a fireball in Super SF2 - that "woosh" is clear as day. Every other sound in every other game is very crackly or completely absent. I've uninstalled Hakchi, restored the stock kernel, backed up all my saves and reset the machine, reinstalled Hakchi with 2.21f and the latest Retroarch, and nothing. Not a big deal because I only have a handful of games that even need it, and I can play those on my Retropie (or actual SNES, too). Just weird.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Yes, so apparently it's a game issue. Yikes. :o

Something strange with the hacks on my unit. Retroarch only makes fuzzy noises, if it makes any noises at all. The one exception is Ryu throwing a fireball in Super SF2 - that "woosh" is clear as day. Every other sound in every other game is very crackly or completely absent. I've uninstalled Hakchi, restored the stock kernel, backed up all my saves and reset the machine, reinstalled Hakchi with 2.21f and the latest Retroarch, and nothing. Not a big deal because I only have a handful of games that even need it, and I can play those on my Retropie (or actual SNES, too). Just weird.

I think the Genesis sound chip was more arcade accurate than the sampled SNES synth. So easier to post and get the sound right.

I think the Genesis sound chip was more arcade accurate than the sampled SNES synth. So easier to post and get the sound right.

Oh, for sure. Both the CPS1 hardware and the Genesis used a Motorola 68000, a Zilog Z80, and some variation of Yamaha synth so from a very high level, the Genesis was capable of replicating the hardware audio better. If Capcom had done a better job with audio programming on the Genesis (see the audio fix hack on romhacking.net) and used more storage for audio samples (32 mbit instead of 24, merhaps) I bet it would have been very close.

They're not directly comparable. It was possible to emulate the SNES on a 1998 PC if you had at least a 120Mhz Pentium, and if you didn't you simply couldn't emulate the color math. That says nothing about the accuracy, which instead requires a 4Ghz PC, and even that falls short if there is an expansion chip.

http://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/2756993

That puts it roughly between a Intel Pentium D 945/950 3400 MHz and a Intel Pentium M 1.70GHz from 2008.

What has changed since the Pentium 4 (Pentium D) is that most CPU's are multi-core, while the single core performance of a current CPU is barely more than one from 5 years ago.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Like just looking at the top of the list, you see chips from 4-5 generations ago right beside current ones.

Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz right beside Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz
The Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz is right beside Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz

And multi core chips run slower to enable additional cores to run at the same time.

That part in the NES/SNES mini is also the slowest version of that A33 chip. It's about the same performance as Samsung Galaxy S 2/3/4/5 (The S3 is from 2012)

So I have a feeling Nintendo simply just found a cheap vendor (those A33 chips are 40nm parts) who had a surplus, and use that. So these things are probably very profitable, as I doubt the BOM is more than 10$

• Like 2

My brother said he wandered into 4 SNES Classics on display at the local Gamestop in Guam the other day. I also saw a guy walk out of a Gamestop with one as I walked in to buy the new Call of Duty.

So demand is still high but I think it's safe to say at this point Nintendo has indeed fulfilled their increased supply promise. Heck, Switches aren't that hard to find these days either. :)

• Like 1

I think the New 3DS is ugly enough on its own, without having to disguise itself as an early 1990s piece of plastic. It's amazing what nostalgia does to people!

Just imagine an iPhone in translucent Bondi Blue plastic. Or a Microsoft Surface with beige IBM PC trimmings and a Turbo button.

I'd actually like an iPhone in translucent blue, or a tan Surface.

Not joking.

I'd actually like an iPhone in translucent blue, or a tan Surface.

Not joking.

6259290ca96b224abb9fab3faa0a0ee7.jpg

photo-23.jpg

https://betanews.com/2017/10/12/microsoft-surface-aqua-wtf/

As designers at Microsoft, we love to use our hands and hearts when creating new products and experiences. We are consistently inspired by everything around us varying from consumer behavior, cultures merging, nature, architecture, art, science, fashion, sports, and the list goes on. Absorbing these experiences, we begin to understand how to create a holistic experience that merges technology into lifestyle.

Aqua is a soft and approachable color. When creating Aqua we drew inspiration from our natural surroundings which helped develop its friendly attributes. This color works beautifully with our materials, from the richness of Alcantara through to the depth and sheen of anodization on our pen. It complements the rest of the existing palette while adding a hint of lightness.

smug_pretentious_arrogant.jpg

• Like 1

"Who wants titty juice on their box?! The least they could do is slip us a nipple! I have an idea! How about I put some of your E.T. carts on these bad boys?! That will sell!" - My Wife

• Like 1

I think supply is getting even better now, if you're still looking just be patient and call around. A nearby Gamestop has 'a bunch' of them (according to store employee), a few more coworkers were able to get them today.

They said when one of them called today, the employee said no one else had called to ask about their availability in the last couple of days.

I think supply is getting even better now, if you're still looking just be patient and call around. A nearby Gamestop has 'a bunch' of them (according to store employee), a few more coworkers were able to get them today.

They said when one of them called today, the employee said no one else had called to ask about their availability in the last couple of days.

The same scalper craigslist ads seem to have been up for like 2 weeks now. "still in hand!" good, hope it stays that way, scumbag. :)

• Like 3

Same here I see those dumb ads on craigslist and the values seem to have dropped to this stand off point where it's not worth their time/money to go any lower so it's a matter of stubborn pride not to give up making like $20 on it instead of breaking even and calling it quits. I find the whole situation hilarious really given the crap those crooks pulled robbing those opportunities from those who legitimately wanted the NES before hand.

• Like 2