Posted Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:15 PM

💩

#52 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,872 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:00 AM

Eurogamer's inside sources say that it's happening. We should have an idea soon since July 14th is when they announced it last year.

Bill would know better than I would, but I imagine holding back much longer an announcement for a product like this that they're planning to have on store shelves in time for the Christmas shopping season, risks retailer leaks spilling the beans. So if July comes and goes without any word, I'd bet it doesn't happen this year. 

Edited by Atariboy, Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 AM.

#53 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,699 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 AM

Eurogamer's inside sources say that it's happening. We should have an idea soon since July 14th is when they announced it last year.

Bill would know better than I would, but I imagine holding back much longer an announcement for a product like this that they're planning to have on store shelves in time for the Christmas shopping season, risks retailer leaks spilling the beans. So if July comes and goes without any word, I'd bet it doesn't happen this year.

Nintendo didn't have the Switch last year. Now that their newest system has been proven to be a good seller so far, there's no point in dividing their consumer base (and their own company resources) by releasing the Super-NES Mini. But that doesn't mean they don't work on it in their secret labs. They've probably gone through a few prototypes already.

#54 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:13 AM

Nintendo's logic jives with Pixel's, which is what has led me to greatly question this will happen.  They left MILLIONS on the table with their disastrous NES Mini rollout, so why do it again?  They want people to spend that money on the Switch.

#55 enoofu ONLINE  

enoofu

Dragonstomper

• 925 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 AM

Maybe they could it as a reward for their reward club instead of sending it out in mass

#56 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,324 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58 AM

One per person for the "true fans," shipped directly, would be nice. Leave it out of stores and deny it from scalpers hands. 

#57 mbd30 OFFLINE  

mbd30

River Patroller

• 2,803 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 AM

They want people to spend that money on the Switch.

Apparently they don't want to target the non-gamers in their 30s and 40s who would never spend money on an actual console, but would buy an officially branded NES or SNES plug n play for nostalgia and to share with their kids.

#58 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,324 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 AM

Apparently they don't want to target the non-gamers in their 30s and 40s who would never spend money on an actual console, but would buy an officially branded NES or SNES plug n play for nostalgia and to share with their kids.

Seems that way, and I don't blame them. Why should they bother with one-time people giving them $60 when they can't make enough of their $300 console to meet demand? The latter customers will buy many more games ... and maybe THEIR kids can get a Switch Classic Mini in 30 years. 

#59 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 2,949 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 AM

One per person for the "true fans," shipped directly, would be nice. Leave it out of stores and deny it from scalpers hands. 

That would be ideal.  Like their odd deals they've done before on specific goods where you could only buy it direct from store.nintendo.com or their 800#, and then one retail location on the side (usually been gamestop when it's done.)  This would allow anyone the opportunity to buy a unit and just one unit per registered account, credit card, and mailing address.  That would stomp out the scalping prick behavior drastically.

#60 CrazyChris OFFLINE  

CrazyChris

Dragonstomper

• 820 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 PM

Sound like another bait and Switch.

#61 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

River Patroller

• 2,949 posts

Posted Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 PM

Sound like another bait and Switch.

fry.jpg

#62 GoldLeader ONLINE  

GoldLeader

Stargunner

• 1,473 posts

Posted Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 AM

I just had a thought.  What if in the future, Switch sales slow down, then they could run a promotion.     Buy a Switch console plus 2 games, get a free SNES Mini! 

Not saying that will happen...Just a thought that jumped into my head.

#63 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,508 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:32 PM

http://nintendotoday...ming-this-year/

#64 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,872 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:50 PM

I believe it's happening, but I don't put any stock into that rumor. Nintendo isn't briefing managers of GameStop stores with information they wouldn't want to leak before a big product announcement. 

#65 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,324 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 PM

I'm sure GameStop would love it if that were true. GameStop needs something like this a lot more than Nintendo does.

#66 Dr Manhattan OFFLINE  

Dr Manhattan

Dragonstomper

• 516 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 PM

I always heard that the NES Mini was created to clear out old Wii parts. Which explains why they discontinued the thing so quickly. I also heard that the reason they didn't just dump them all on the market at once was because they knew they only had so much to go around, so they tried to trickle them out slowly over time. I don't think their plan worked though because now there's a ton of unsold product sitting on ebay. 

I'll welcome a SNES Mini, but I'll also believe it when I see it. Not a peep about it at E3 to the retail community. 

#67 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,324 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:23 PM

Wow. So someone thinks that because they had a lot extra of the little connectors that match the Wii. Nintendo created a whole new shell, new classic style controllers, an emulator system, and a custom designed carton? Just to clear out some old parts?

The second pet about trickling them out almost makes sense, but the "extra parts" hypothesis makes me :lolblue:

#68 Dr Manhattan OFFLINE  

Dr Manhattan

Dragonstomper

• 516 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 PM

Wow. So someone thinks that because they had a lot extra of the little connectors that match the Wii. Nintendo created a whole new shell, new classic style controllers, an emulator system, and a custom designed carton? Just to clear out some old parts?

Not much tooling in the tiny little shell. Controller tooling probably just modified from the original. 

#69 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

River Patroller

• 2,805 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:25 PM

It was created to generate pro-Nintendo press/marketing.  It worked.  Switch release followed, and has done okay for them.  SNES mini does nothing for them in that regard.

#70 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,872 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:26 PM

I'll welcome a SNES Mini, but I'll also believe it when I see it. Not a peep about it at E3 to the retail community. 

Like I've said in recent days, there was no inkling at E3 2016 of the NES Classic Edition. So why would there be for a follow-up? 

Nintendo kept a tight lid on it that as far as I'm aware, was perfect. It was announced out of the blue in the middle of July with a press release. No E3 unveiling, no Nintendo Direct video, no pre-announcement rumors, etc. I wouldn't expect any different for a potential follow-up, if/when it happens. 

Edited by Atariboy, Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:28 PM.

#71 aligborat69 OFFLINE  

aligborat69

Space Invader

• 32 posts
  • Retro Fetishist!

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 AM

It's just been announced!

#72 aligborat69 OFFLINE  

aligborat69

Space Invader

• 32 posts
  • Retro Fetishist!

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 AM

2fe36b5d4f14d4147b968be0ff749094.jpg

#73 aligborat69 OFFLINE  

aligborat69

Space Invader

• 32 posts
  • Retro Fetishist!

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 AM

September 29th

#74 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,914 posts
  • Meh

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 AM

So, the rumors were true.

Scalpers are already waiting in line.

#75 aligborat69 OFFLINE  

aligborat69

Space Invader

• 32 posts
  • Retro Fetishist!

Posted Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 AM

I was so excited I messed up the post and didn't type it all in one post! Looking forward to the PAL version mini now... if they release it too!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users