Photo

Best BASIC games?

8 replies to this topic

#1 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• 4,957 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 AM

I recently picked up the 2nd gen BASIC cart for my Bally, and I'm interested in grabbing some game wav files and loading them up from the web. Does anyone have any recommendations on what some of the best BASIC games are on the console (that don't require RAM expansions)?

#2 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,314 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:22 PM

I recently picked up the 2nd gen BASIC cart for my Bally

Congratulations-- you've just opened up your Bally Arcade to hundreds of more programs.  These BASIC programs are not nearly the same quality as the cartridges, but quite a few of them are still quite fun.  Not only that, but you'll see other programs (not just games) written in BASIC that never would have appeared on the Astrocade otherwise.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what some of the best BASIC games are on the console (that don't require RAM expansions)?

This topic has come up quite often over the years.  Here are some links to get you started:

1) Top 10 Bally BASIC Games (Yahoo Groups Thread) - This thread didn't catch on like I'd hoped, but it will get you started.  I did include many of the games listed in this posting.

https://groups.yahoo...ons/topics/9167

2) Top Astrocade Games (Game Gavel Thread) - Mostly a list of cartridge games, but there are many BASIC games listed that were reviewed, which you may be interested in checking out:

http://www.gamegavel...ted=1#post19004

In the "Top Ten BASIC Games" thread, Paul Thacker made a list of his seventeen Bally BASIC favorites (in no particular order):

WaveMakers--Obstacle Course Tournament, Tomb Pirates, Outpost 19 (especially the Blue RAM BASIC version I've played on the multi-cart)

L&M--Candy Man, Space Checkers

Esoterica--Super Slope, Ten Pins

Rex Goulding--The Pits (from the Arcadian)

Steve Walters--Avalanche!

Dave Ibach--Mazin

The Bit Fiddlers--Chicken, Goldfish Demo

George Moses--Fifteen Two-Part Inventions, Scott Joplin Ragtime Classics

The Tiny Arcade--Quadron, Star Siege

Ken Lill--Whatzit?  (Blue RAM BASIC, available on multi-cart)

That's it for Paul's recommendations.  I have to second Paul's vote for The Pits; that is probably my favorite BASIC game on the Astrocade, which never fails to perplex me, as it's really simple and uses just boxes for graphics.  Chris and I reviewed The Pits in episode 4 of the BallyAlley Astrocast podcast, which you can listen to here:

https://ballyalleyas...il-and-the-pits

The Bally Alley High Score Club plays a BASIC game every round.  If you check all the rounds that we've played, then you're sure to run into a few BASIC games that you'll like.  Plus in the HSC threads, I always post screenshots of what the BASIC games look like.  You can read all the past HSC threads here:

http://atariage.com/...igh-score-club/

Some of my favorite BASIC games, in the order we played them in the Astrocade High Score Club rounds are:

1. Astro Zap 2000! - George Moses (July 1982) - Played HSC Season 1, Round 2
  2. Candy Man - L&M Software (1983) - Played in HSC Season 1, Round 6
  3. Avalanche! - Steve Walters (1982) - Played in HSC Season 1, Round 7
  4. The Pits - Rex Goulding (August 1982) - Played in HSC Season 1, Round 10
  5. Outpost 19 - WaveMakers (1983/1985) - Played in HSC Season 1, Round 11 (I made a map of the game in this thread)

Just for the heck of it, I just took a quick look through the programs that are on BallyAlley.com and I came up with these other BASIC programs that are worth playing and/or investigating.  They are not all great, but they're at least interesting.  Remember, this list is right off the cuff, so I'm sure I overlooked some golden game.  These programs are listed in alphabetical order:

Wavemakers:

1. Dungeons of Dracula
  2. Gate Escape, The
  3. Guitar Course (with Tuning, Note Match and Chord Progressions)
  4. L.T. (Little Terrestrial)
  5. Lookout for the Bull / Lookout for the Bull II
  6. Monkey Jump / Gong the Kong
  7. Pack-Rat / Pack-Rat II
  8. QB-2B
  9. Sound Effects
  10. Tournament Obstacle Course

Here are a few more that are not by WaveMakrers:

1. Beep! - The Tiny Arcade
  2. Sloshed! - New Image
  3. Cavern Quest - Bruce Jaeger
  4. Collatz Conjecture, The - Jim Dunson (not a game, but interesting)
  5. Claim Jumpers - L&M Software

While using Bally BASIC or "AstroBASIC" programs, keep a few things in mind:

1. Bally BASIC programs are limited to 1.8K of RAM.  That's not much to worth with.
  2. Bally BASIC limits the amount of colors to just two on the screen at once.  There are a few tricks around this, but even using these, you'll not find any games as colorful as the cartridge releases.  The expanded BASICs for the Astrocade (i.e. Blue Ram BASIC and Vipersoft BASIC) removed these color limitations.
  3. Nearly all of the Bally BASIC programs were written by amateur programmers.  This means that you'll often find (especially with the type-in games), programs that have a kernel of goodness that wasn't exploited to its fullest potential.  This makes the BASIC games pretty quirky, which is something I like about them.
  4. Blinking and flashing graphics are the norm for BASIC games.  Even those games that use machine language subroutines that are built into the 8K ROM tend to flash while there is movement.

With as much as Bally BASIC has going against it, it's a wonder that so many interesting programs are part of the Bally Arcade's BASIC library.  I tried to highlight some programs here in this post, but there are many more titles to be explored.

Don't limit yourself to this list; jump in and try some games that aren't in this post.  I'd love to hear feedback that you may have on any of these games.  If you run into anything that you like that's not listed here, then please let us know about it.  Also, there is a severe lack of videos of Bally BASIC games on YouTube.  If you play some "AstroBASIC" games, then why not make a video of it and post it.

Have fun exploring the Astrocade's seldom-played BASIC games!

Perhaps this thread can be the "official" Best Bally BASIC programs list.  If anyone has suggestions for fun programs for the Top 10 Bally BASIC Programs list, please post your comments here.

Adam

#3 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,957 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:22 PM

Good start! I'll have to grab some of those tonight and give them a whirl. I've been thinking of ordering a multicart and aftermarket RAM expansion if those are still available; would be nice to try some of those more obscure programs out, I'm sure. Candy Man, Star Siege and Quadron all sound pretty cool already.

And yes, I'm totally fine with hooking up the Astrocade to my recording equipment and tossing some footage on Youtube or Archive.org! I already tested it with a couple cart games, so it seems like it should work just peachy.

#4 128Kgames OFFLINE  

128Kgames

Dragonstomper

• 708 posts
  • Victory is mine! I am the Worrior!

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 PM

I have to say I was never into the BASIC games all that much, and only bought one game when I had my first Bally Computer System and that was "Castle of Horror" (or is it Horrors?) 

I have to say though being able to load games from my phone compared to a cassette deck is like night and day, and although I haven't gotten to play any BASIC games other that the ones for the Astrocast I was kinda fun to load them up.  It just took a while to get the volume just right on my phone. 

So modern technology has definitely helped piqued my interest in revisiting some of these games.  I definitely want to try the Blue RAM BASIC version of Outpost 19.

#5 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,957 posts

Posted Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 PM

So, important question: how do I actually load up the wavs? I've got it plugged into an ipod stocked with the files, I've got the volume up all the way so the red light is coming on. The booklet says the Input button is the one I want to make it load, but nothing actually seems to happen. I push the button and run the audio file and then push Go, nothing. Push Input and Go and then run the file, nothing. I feel like I'm missing a step.

#6 128Kgames OFFLINE  

128Kgames

Dragonstomper

• 708 posts
  • Victory is mine! I am the Worrior!

Posted Sun May 21, 2017 8:56 AM

So, important question: how do I actually load up the wavs? I've got it plugged into an ipod stocked with the files, I've got the volume up all the way so the red light is coming on. The booklet says the Input button is the one I want to make it load, but nothing actually seems to happen. I push the button and run the audio file and then push Go, nothing. Push Input and Go and then run the file, nothing. I feel like I'm missing a step.

Its the volume, DON'T crank it up to 11!  Same mistake I made, you kind of have to find the sweet spot of how loud it needs to be.  Back in the day with a real tape recorder you could manually adjust the dial until the game loaded; I found it much more complicated trying to use my phone, but once you find the right volume its like BAM! everything works.  

Ever see the movie Galaxy Quest?  Remember the scene with the digital conveyor?

So yeah, loading BASIC games from you phone is more "art than science" but once you get it you're gold.   ;)

#7 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,957 posts

Posted Sun May 21, 2017 1:20 PM

Embarrasingly, the real problem was that I forgot to type the : before pushing input and go. Works fine now!

#8 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,314 posts

Posted Sat May 27, 2017 2:36 PM

Embarrasingly, the real problem was that I forgot to type the : before pushing input and go. Works fine now!

I'm glad that you got it to work.  Which games have you tried so far?

Adam

#9 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,957 posts

Posted Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 AM

Candyman has been it so far - haven't had a chance to go back and mess with more of the library. Maybe later this week!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users