Photo

Not sure what to make of "mods" like these?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,309 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 PM

A laugh for today..

https://forums.macru...wii-pi.1731238/

https://forums.macru....1731238/page-2

Attached File  IMG_20140502_174141.jpg   83.38KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Apple WIIe.jpg   108.81KB   3 downloads

#2 R.Cade ONLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,043 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:52 PM

I dislike the tearing apart of old items and shoving an RPi in them... It's become cliche at this point. :)

#3 bpatte02 OFFLINE  

bpatte02

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 PM

I feel like it's ok if they computer is dead and the case is in rough shape, but to each their own.

#4 Grimakis OFFLINE  

Grimakis

Chopper Commander

• 184 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 PM

Even if the computer is dead, it can probably be saved.

Shoving a Raspberry Pi into an old computer case is a tired "mod", usually requires no skill, and is fairly unimpressive.

#5 Mitkraft OFFLINE  

Mitkraft

Dragonstomper

• 543 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 AM

Shoving an Rpi in an old computer case is like those goobers who put these inside full arcade cabinets because they wanted to play pacman but didn't know how to fix an arcade:

medIe8Ug_XlgPWNZGJcM3rQ.jpg

#6 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,655 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 AM

If you create a new case and keyboard that matches the original... that's neat.  At least you put some effort into it.
But destroying a machine because you don't know how to fix it, or just because "wouldn't it be cool if we put Pi in an Apple and got Apple Pi"... big nope.
It takes zero skill to pull out a motherboard, and to buy add on boards to use the keyboard or whatever on a Pi or PC.

What did that first guy even use to attach those boards to the case?  Double sided foam tape?  He didn't even drill holes and use plastic standoffs!
Bad juju... very bad juju.  

#7 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,869 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 PM

There are people who put Pis in their Apples, but not in the same way - the Apple becomes a sort of serial terminal to the Pi, and they form a sort of symbiosis, rather than gutting the Apple to stick in a Pi.

#8 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 8,261 posts

Posted Thu May 4, 2017 1:20 AM

Shoving an Rpi in an old computer case is like those goobers who put these inside full arcade cabinets because they wanted to play pacman but didn't know how to fix an arcade:

medIe8Ug_XlgPWNZGJcM3rQ.jpg

I have one of those. I love it. :D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users