IGNORED

Does having a cartridge signed devalue it?

Gregory DG

I imagine a Gremlins collector would think it was pretty cool.

As for Atari collectors, most of them will think a signed cartridge is pretty cool. The few that don't think the game became worthless the second the shrinkwrap came off, so they weren't going to buy it anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe if it's signed "Andy" (like the bottom of Woody's shoe in Toy Story). I've had many carts with (most likely) some kids name written on it, and I usually made an attempt to remove it whenever possible.

But the authentic signature of anybody historically connected would only increase the value in my mind (though paradoxically, I'm sure I wouldn't pay a premium for it).

I agree...if nothing else it becomes worth more to collectors of the movies..etc. I just got my Flash Gordon cart signed by Sam J. Jones at this years Pinfest in Texas. And then stood in line for about 3 hours so I could get Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) to sign my Lynx Pinball Jam cart and inside the manual as well. Cheap enough games loose made that more valuable because they have the star people from the movies etc. that the game is based on signature in it.

• Like 1

I disagree, if you had Sam Jones or Elvira sign a color photo, those would be worth something. A Gremlins cartridge signed by an actor would devalue the cartridge, he had nothing to do with creating the game. Signed comics aren't very valuable, people want pristine books, and they want mint cartridges. And if you don't have a certificate of authenticity, forget it.

I just picked up a 7800 Jr. Pac-Man from a member here. When I tested the cart it didn't work. I cleaned it twice, still nothing. I contacted the seller, he said send it back and he would refund me and shipping. I commented that I didn't know that I was getting an Autographed copy. He said 'WHAAAT?" "I sold you an autographed copy below retail?" I sent him a pic with Bob's Auto right on the cart. He didn't know it was Autographed. He then said send it back for a full refund and he would sell it for more as it was working fine in his 7800 before he sent it out. Ultimately I said I would keep it just for the auto. He then offered me a credit for the defective cart so I ended up buying about 15 more CIB's from him and he made even more money off of me.

I consider Bob D. to be a rock star and an Atari Celebrity. I would say that in most cases it would raise the value for some people or most people depending on who signed it.

I would have loved to have a Tara Reid autographed Sharknado Cartridge. Even though she is a total train wreck I think it would be a very novel and unique item to have.

Instead I will just have to live with my plain old loose Shark cart. But if she ever shows up at Phoenix Comicon I will get her to sign it.

If you can get a game signed by someone who was in the movie or worked on the game it does add value. It becomes a collector item in the group of people who may collect that specific movie or license as well as for the normal game community. Someone else mentioned that the only people who would say no are the ones who collect mint sealed games, which I think is correct. The only time this may be different is if the game was one of the few very high dollar rare cartridges. If the cart is valued less then a $100 I would get it signed every time.

I have been cartridges signed by celebrities for years. Usually homebrew games games made specifically to be signed. Below is a small sample of what I do.

post-3832-0-30600300-1492779337_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-90060000-1492779344_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-42222300-1492779354_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-88394100-1492779397_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-40962900-1492779415_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-44338600-1492779519_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-62977800-1492779532_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-57434500-1492779533_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-16219700-1492779546_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-74984900-1492779568_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-27812400-1492780020_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If you can get a game signed by someone who was in the movie or worked on the game it does add value. It becomes a collector item in the group of people who may collect that specific movie or license as well as for the normal game community. Someone else mentioned that the only people who would say no are the ones who collect mint sealed games, which I think is correct. The only time this may be different is if the game was one of the few very high dollar rare cartridges. If the cart is valued less then a $100 I would get it signed every time.

I have been cartridges signed by celebrities for years. Usually homebrew games games made specifically to be signed. Below is a small sample of what I do.

There you go bringing up Tara Reid. ;) LOL

There you go running in Tara Reid. ;) LOL

When I met her I had heard the stories about how bad she can be, she was 30 minutes late showing up so all signs pointed to potential problems. There were a few people in front of me and I watched her apologize for running late and also be very friendly and nice to each person. When I handed her the cartridges she was a little confused, not by the Atari 2600 cartridge but because it was Sharknado. Turns out that Tara Reid was an Atari kid. They had an Atari 2600 and she was a huge fan of Adventure and Space Invaders. Tara was awesome and I will always be a big fan.

post-3832-0-35622400-1492792892_thumb.jpg

Confusion with Sharknado on an Atari 2600 cartridge. She thought it was just a label and not a real game.

post-3832-0-64582100-1492792870_thumb.jpg

Tara is very tiny.

• Like 2

Hmm. I never gave any thought to the value (positive/negative) of the cart, when asking someone to sign it. I just wanted them signed for my collection. I'm not planning on selling them down the road, although, eventually, I would expect them to make it out into the wild some day. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/1468-signed-stuff/

• Like 1

If you're looking for the value, a signed item typically works as follows:

Price of the item + price of the signature = value of signed item.

Now, that doesn't mean the item is desirable with a signature. Getting a signature on your Stadium Events cart may make it technically more valuable, but it might not be as desirable to someone buying it. That isn't to say it's not worth getting a high end game signed, it's just something that one should put some thought into. A Stan Lee signed Spider-Man Web of Fire would be much easier to find a buyer for than a Stadium Events signed by Usain Bolt, simply because of the relevance to the game itself. While both have some relevance to the game itself, having a Spider-Man cart signed by Stan Lee is much more desirable than a random track & field game signed by a track star, even if he IS a huge name in the sport.

Very

Hmm. I never gave any thought to the value (positive/negative) of the cart, when asking someone to sign it. I just wanted them signed for my collection. I'm not planning on selling them down the road, although, eventually, I would expect them to make it out into the wild some day. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/1468-signed-stuff/

Very cool. I have several Howard Scott Warshaw carts also signed on the back. I need to make up some 8x10 prints and get them signed.

• Like 1

Personally, I despise any & all signed / autographed collectibles. Be it baseball cards, comic books, or anything else. I couldn't care less about what it does to the value. The instant some globby chicken scratch piss poor writing soils itself over the original image, it completely devalues the item & makes it worthless and unworthy of my collection.

Moses himself, could have signed a Red Sea Crossing cart, and I'd still rather have an untouched / original over that.

• Like 1

I love the movie Gremlins and have the 2600 game. I wouldn't have any interest in ever selling it, so it's not a money / value thing.

At the same time, I'm a perfectionist and I'd want to see the cart stay 100% original...

But the idea of this is just too cool to pass up!

I love the movie Gremlins and have the 2600 game. I wouldn't have any interest in ever selling it, so it's not a money / value thing.

At the same time, I'm a perfectionist and I'd want to see the cart stay 100% original...

But the idea of this is just too cool to pass up!

If I could make it to Spooky Empire this year I would get a Gremlins signed. I could use another signed Strangeland from Dee Snider as well. Hopefully they will be back.