IGNORED

Does having a cartridge signed devalue it?

Gregory DG

I also collect comics and have probably 50 signed. In my experience in collecting comics for close to 32 years, getting a book signed usually increases the value. But then again, if you are never going to sell it, it really doesn't matter. I would get it signed.

I have an opportunity to have my 2600 Gremlins cartridge signed by Zach Galligan. Wondering if I should do it or not? Does that devalue it in the eyes of a collector?

When I had Hulk Hogan sign my Wrestlemania NES cart, I didn't do it because I thought it was increase or decrease the value, I just did it because I thought it was sort of cool. Like others have said, I guess it really depends on what you plan to do with it. I would get it signed if you had the opportunity regardless of what it does to the value. Sounds like something fun to do!

• Like 4

I have an opportunity to have my 2600 Gremlins cartridge signed by Zach Galligan. Wondering if I should do it or not? Does that devalue it in the eyes of a collector?

I think it greatly depends on who signs it...

If it says... "Property of Little Timmy.." or someone wrote in permanent marker... "35 cents" then... haha... hurts value.

But if an original developer or creator of the cart signs it... it'll only improve the value in my opinion. I can't fathom any other situation in which it wouldn't help the value. So I think you're good...

• Like 1

I think it'd be cool to get a copy of Alien signed by people from the movie, just because I'm I huge fan of the Alien movies. That might increase its value; a signature from Doug Neubauer would probably not, at least not as much. There are probably far more fans of "Alien" and its actors, director, writers, etc. than there are Atari 2600 collectors, let alone Atari 2600 collectors who would care enough about a cart autographed by Doug Neubauer (fantastic a programmer as he is) to pay a premium for it.

Not that I'd sell it anyway, so it makes no difference to me either way. :)

Edited by BassGuitari

Signing the label is destroying it just as much as writing "little Timmy" on it. If it's a copy of Adventure you have signed, it may increase the value cause hey, it's Warren Robinett, and Adventure is cool. Same for having HSW sign E.T. You're using a cart vs some other material to write on, so the value goes from maybe a few bucks for a crappy cart to whatever an HSW autograph costs + crappy cart.

On an actual collectible cart with some kind of real rarity and money value you're screwing yourself. Fake autographs are a real problem in the memorabilia business, and frankly, I wouldn't pay any real money for one that isn't authenticated. Many, many people still won't care who signed it. You screwed up the cart.