IGNORED

Could we start a thred for the Sega Master System ?

I'd love to see a Master System mini come out.

TecToy in Brazil regularly release those kidns of systems. Tho if you mean a system with HDMI out, I don't think it has been done yet.

TecToy usually have RF out and AV/out GameGear style Master System systems.

• Like 1

Well, I was one of those odd kids that had a SMS back in the day and I chose it over the NES. Got mine X-mas of 1986. Never got into NES. I had one other friend that got SMS that year and one friend that got the NES and one other friend that got a 7800 that X-mas season. It really wasn't until X-mas 1987 that everyone seem to get a NES (at least in my area).

Being the odd man out wasn't all that bad. I had some goods games including Phantasy Star, Rambo II, Alex Kidd, Chopliter and Sega Scope 3-D (plus games).

To this day the SMS is one of my favorite systems. I can live without NES but not my SMS. :)

But, to be honest I don't know if there is enough interest to have a dedicated Master System section.

Edited by pboland
  • Like 2

The master system is a wonderful console I have many great memories playing it with friends, Double dragon 2 players simultaneous was a hit with us. That game we played daily, also 2players phaser games like gangster town was a daily play. I still have the sms but sadly not the 3d glasses because they broke. I'm trying to get most of the games from my childhood but with the market prices is not getting any easier.

Edited by Kaicer

True Master System prices are starting to go up. The same can be said for Sega Genesis.

If I were you I would get a master everdrive, I had one quite a while ago.

The master everdrive plays everything and the cost of both the USA versions golden axe warrior and sonic the hedgehog, is worth have the master everdrive right there. :-)

I had both the NES and an SMS in my college dorm room.. and yes over time I did grow to prefer the NES, but the SMS gave me a lot of awesome gaming memories, especially with Phantasy Star, Ys, and R-type. I can still play Phantasy Star today and have a blast.

A lot of the later apparently better software for the SMS came out when I had already moved onto the 16 bit systems though.. like Castle of Illusion, Moonwalker, Sonic, etc.

Edited by NE146

True Master System prices are starting to go up. The same can be said for Sega Genesis.

If I were you I would get a master everdrive, I had one quite a while ago.

The master everdrive plays everything and the cost of both the USA versions golden axe warrior and sonic the hedgehog, is worth have the master everdrive right there. :-)

Just make sure you grab a pair of the old SMS control pads to go with them. Still found NOS on ebay at reasonable prices. They're not as comfy or durable as the NES pads but for some reason the games just 'feel' right playing with a Genesis pad. And add a Phaser too, gotta have that. The SMS is still the coolest looking console design from the 80s, IMO.

I agree. The SMS is one of my favorite consoles. It is so cool looking. Even though I don't particularly like playing with the original pads, I still have to try because I want that original SMS feel.

Nothing can beat the feeling my brothers and I had when I was 10 and we got an SMS for $50 at Best Buy to supplement our NES.

• 3 weeks later...

I had intended to post a reply to a different thread, but I can't figure out nor find which one it was. I've been stumbling through various threads under Classic Gaming trying to find it, and well, as long as I'm in here, I may as well write the reply to this thread that I had intended, and neglected, to write about a month ago.

I am asking the mod or mods if we can start a thread on the Sega Master System. Other systems have their own threads, why not the Master System ?

When you started this thread, you were talking about how there are "official" threads under Classic Gaming for the Neo Geo, TurboGrafx-16, Vectrex, Game Boy, etc., right? That is, threads that have "official" in their titles. However, here's the thing: those are only official in name, because their creators decided to put that word into the titles. They aren't mod-created, or mod-registered, or anything like that; they're just plain old threads, like this one. The first of those was the Neo Geo one. The guy who created it had previously created a new thread every time there was some Neo Geo-related news, even if it was news for a game for which he had already created a thread recently. It got to the point where several of us, including me, complained and recommended beseeched that he keep the news for each game to a single thread--seriously, I think the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was when he had four threads for a single game, all on the Classic Gaming front page, or maybe three on page 1 and a fourth on page 2. He took the idea a bit further and instead created a thread specifically for Neo Geo news, with the word "official" in the title. That vanguard then led to other people creating "official" system-based threads.

So, what looks like an array of administration-sanctioned, committee-approved forum threads really just grew out of a bit of bad forum behavior. :) This thread of yours is as official as any of theirs. I hope you've enjoyed this episode of onmode-ky's AtariAge Storytime, brought to you by the letters 'C' and 'X' and the number 40.

onmode-ky

P.S. The thread that I was originally looking for, the one I mentioned at the top of this post, was one that went into a sidetrack about gaming companies forgetting their past properties and/or products. I had intended to bring up Bandai Namco as an example of that. Last year, they celebrated "the 30th anniversary of Mobile Suit Gundam video games," counting since Bandai published the Famicom's Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: Hot Scramble in 1986. The problem with that is that there's a Gundam video game copyrighted 1983, published by Bandai for the Bandai Arcadia. That's like celebrating the 30th birthday of your firstborn child as your 33-year-old other child looks on dumbfounded. Anyway, does anyone know the thread I was looking for? As I said, my response is for a sidetrack, so thread titles are no help. I just have a vague memory of someone noting that Japan barely remembers video games from before the Famicom.