IGNORED

1MB RAM, Stereo Pokey, SD or Sio2USB users list!

Matej

I am wondering how many of you have Ultimate 1MB or another 1mb or 4mb upgrade plus stereo pokey sound and fast loading from SD or sio2USB or similar device... I am doing little research. And how many of you will be able to pay 5-10usd/euro for game every half of year.Its good information not only for me but for others too.With 1088xel this will be standard...So lets use XEL word for such games or apps/demos specs...

I own: 1x Ultimate 1mb, Raster Stereo, Raster SDrive all in Atari130XE

Edited by Matej
  • Like 1

Hmmm,

- sold my two 800XL with U1MB and simple-stereo+Covox to Nir Dary, you can see them often in his youtube videos...

- do not own any other 1MB or 4MB enhancement nor any 65816 enhancement nor VBXE and do not want to buy any of them (or to reply to another topic here, my positive result with Rapidus is this: did not buy it, did not install it, everything works as before)

I do own:

- 2x 800XL + 512k SRAM extension by mega-hz and stereo final by Lotharek

- 2x SIO2SD by Lotharek built-in in two 1010 cases

- 2x SIO2SD/PC-micro by santosp

- 2x SIO2USB by Abbuc-RAF

- 2x SIO2PC hardware by Abbuc-RAF (and one PC with MS-DOS and SIO2PC V4.21 software by N.Kennedy)

- 2x MIDI interface by Abbuc Hardwaredoc

- 2x Ultimate cart. (1x by electrotrains, 1x by santosp)

- 2x IDE+/IDE-2, Rev. E (with CF card connector)

- 3x 800XL not modified yet (but plan to enhance two of them with 512k SRAM by tf_hh and stereo)

- 4x 1050 with mini-Speedy upgrade (max. 180k),

- 2x XF551 with 5,25" drive (max. 360k) and 2x XF with 3,5" drive (max. 720k)

Think as soon as I install a 1MB or 4MB upgrade, then someone comes around the corner with a 16MB or 64MB upgrade, as soon as I install a VBXE, then someone comes out with a gfx-upgrade with HDMI or another digital-videoport, as soon as I have upgraded all my XL`s with stereo-Pokey, then someone comes with quad Pokey/16Bit soundboard/Dolby surround and whatnot - so I think it is time for me to stop upgrading beyond 576k (Compyshop+Rambo at the same time) and stereo-sound. Also two Operating systems (original XL-OS Rev. 2 and older OS-B) have been enough for me in the last 30 years, so there is no need for me to have 4, 8, 16 or 32 OS`s in my little Atari computer...

So how do I count ? Think I am NOT on the 1MB users list, but I am on the SIO2SD, SIO2USB, SIO2PC and Ult. Cart users list...?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3

I have 1M, a 65802, Fast HD, but only single PoKey (for now)

I'm waiting for the new super CPU card so I can find out if PAL looks nice on my monitor.

This is an Incognito 800.

I am more broke than most, but I would purchase new games if they are good and the price is right.

• Like 1

SDdrive, sio2SD,sio2PC,sio2PCusb,sio2WIFI,UNOcart... Simply any fast loading device... Faster than tape or standard FDD. As I wrote I am using 1088XEL specs. So no hdmi or Quad Pokey for now. (and yes games should have mono/stereo or quad in future feature).Also VBXE or Sophia are amazing.But still rare.

I also own 2x 576k ramcart expansion. So games should have a.atr and b.atr for it too. 1mb will have everything in ramdisk.No extra loadings...And so.But just for research how many of you have 1mb specs... 20? 50? 100? 200?

Best for games is to make them for 64kb, mono.But I miss 1mb games on my Atari.Also there are only few demos using whole 1024k upgrade...So it will be nice to have 1mb only games.

Edited by Matej

Hmmm,

even with fast SIO devices the loading time for 1MB games or demos (that load the whole 1MB code into RAM+XRAM) is quite long. It would be good to create a ROM/CAR version besides the XEX version then, so users with less than 1MB RAM can also enjoy the huge program and/or load it instantly with one of the flashcart options out there...

OMG people, do you not remember cassettes? If an SIO2pc or whatever is too slow then be on your I7 SSD machine and be done with it.. lol!!

I love the load time of my sio2 whatever devices, or my HI-speed sio drives on my computer.. I have 30sec to a min for my game to load :) (in 1982 fort apocalypse would take hours!! on a cassette!)

James

Edited by Bikerbob
  • Like 2

I have

2 U1M - 1 in a 130XE and the other not installed as of yet.

1 Incognito for the 800 and will get another one that has the SD slot on it when available.

having either of these is worth it for built-in SDX alone. In addition to SDX, you also get other common upgrades in one item.

1 Dual SIO to USB

No stereo. Mono is just fine

No 4 MB RAM. If I want a large RAM disk, I will use a partition off of my IDE 2 with compact flash.

• Like 1

OMG people, do you not remember cassettes? If an SIO2pc or whatever is too slow then be on your I7 SSD machine and be done with it.. lol!!

I love the load time of my sio2 whatever devices, or my HI-speed sio drives on my computer.. I have 30sec to a min for my game to load :) (in 1982 fort apocalypse would take hours!! on a cassette!)

James

Arggg! Yes I remember waiting for Fort Apocalypse to load, only to be disappointed when it would make to 90% and then fail to continue. But I loved that game so much that I'd try it again and again to be able to finally play it.

My Inventory...

5 or 6 Lotharek SIO2PC-USB's (lost count of what I still have, since I gave a couple away to friends)

One TK-II-STEREO board

Two Lotharek Stereo boards with U-Switches

One working XEL V1.0 prototype and soon I will have two V1.1 XEL production units.

One Sophia installed in XEL prototype.

Three U1MB's with one installed in XEGS and another in the XEL prototype.

One Lotharek SIO2SD (not installed).

One Antonia 4meg/65816 (not installed).

Note: those last two items have yet to be tested, since I've kinda had my hands full lately with other projects.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

I remember loading games from Turbo 2000 tape. It was enought time to drink hot chocolate and eat two sandwitches. So it had pros and cons...

Well on other hand loading from, sio or sd can have story line text or pictures or some demos got music during loader... Or something like that.

I have Raster SDdrive and from its manual:

• Supported SIO transfer rates: 3.5 to 128kb/s (standard 19 and 69kb/s)

1024kb / 69kb (standard) is cca. 15 seconds.

1024kb / 19kb (standard) is 53 seconds cca. 1 minute

1024kb / 128kb (fast) is 8 seconds

1024kb / 3.5kb (very slow) is 5 minutes

So for standard or fast it is OK..

5 minutes is long but as I wrote you can drink tea or chocolate :D.

Cartridges will be best solution. But how many of you have Ultimate Cart or AtariMax1mb etc etc...

Or is there any 1mb rom cart under 10euro? (so 5 euro plus 5 euro for cart)??? I think no...

But errm,

the SIO transfer rate is not Kilobytes, but kilobits !!

Thus 69kb per second means 69kilobits (NOT 69 Kilobytes), thats approx. 6.9-8.1 kilobytes per second...

Pokey divisor zero with 128k is NOT 128 kilobytes per second, otherwise it would be as fast as a harddisk (or even faster than most harddisks), hahaha... it is just 128kilobits, thats approx. 12.8-16 kilobytes per second...

There is a 1MB demo from Abbuc available on eight 130k disks, e.g. here:

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5905

Loading it on the real Atari with a standard 1050 floppy drive does not take 53seconds, like you state above, but approx. 15-17 minutes !

Edited by CharlieChaplin

OK for now we are 7 plus Charlie with 512kb...

ATARIAGE LIST 24.april.2017:

Paul Westphal
Kyle22
_The Doctor__
Frankie
SoulBuster
mytekcontrols
*CharlieChaplin (512K)
+me
ATARIAREA LIST 24.april.2017:
XXL
Anyone else?
Edited by Matej

Hey ho...

1x 600XL U1MB + STEREO + S-VIDEO

1x 130XE U1MB + STEREO + S-VIDEO + SOPHIA

1x SIDE2 used on both Ataris (XEX Loader and also PBI in SDX)

1x SIO2SD used on both Ataris

1x 1050 + Speedy1050 used on both Ataris

1x 4MB Flash MegaCart

1x AtariMax JimSlide Cart

: )

Out of subject, but....

I would like to see and to PAY as buyer/user, new programmers to write anything fresh for the Atari computers.

From educational till entertaining software, I think all is possible for our today's enhanced Atari's, versus the past.

I don't understand what we need all these fancy things like cpu / gfx accelerators, since it doesn't exist software to use them!

Of course I am not refer to floppy drive enhancements or new multi cartridges!

• Like 4

VBXE, Rapidus is good.But only very few people have them...When there will be more users.I can imagine VBXE,65816 Rapidus,1mb ram,stereo or quad pokey and covox games looking like on SNES or Atari STE.But lets be real for now.Vbxe and 16bit maybe in next 2 years...

• Like 1

My main machine is an Atari 800XL with U1MB, double Pokey, s-video (but I have to test Sophia board).

To load software I have 1050 disk drives and modern devices (for example Side2, SIO2SD, SIO2PC-USB, SIO2BT, Atarimax carts...).

I think that software should run on 64/128KB machines so everybody could enjoy it.

Modern carts offer plenty of space so it's not necessary to have more RAM (for example cart versions of Atari Blast!, Bomb Jack and Space Harrier need only 64KB).

Obviously 1MB of RAM is useful, to run demos and file versions instead of cart versions.

I would pay $5 or 10$ for game every month...