IGNORED

Does anyone not own Cybermorph?

madman

So after seeing a bunch of bulk sales of hundreds of Cybermorph carts I got to thinking A) Did Atari actually produce more Cybermorphs than they did Jaguars? B) Does anyone not own a copy? It also seems like NOS boxed copies are still readily available as well.

I got my jag used and didn't have it for several months. I bought it a short while later because it was inexpensive, 3d, exclusive to jag, and seems like a game you need to truly experience the jag and what it was like back in the day. It doesn't get much play but it's not an awful game, just a little boring compared to other titles.

I got my jag used and didn't have it for several months. I bought it a short while later because it was inexpensive, 3d, exclusive to jag, and seems like a game you need to truly experience the jag and what it was like back in the day. It doesn't get much play but it's not an awful game, just a little boring compared to other titles.

Kind of true for a good half of the library.

I tried to get back at it so many times I just get bored. I actually purchased both the 1MB and the 2MB versions just to see the opening screen animation and hear the 4 (or was it 5) extra sentences the green bald head spits out .... and yes I've never learnt to fly and this whole game is a lot more like hovering anyway so shut it already you green b.tch I am really enjoying hitting this particular corner of the mountain over and over and over again right now would you mind?

• Like 1

I thought the later models (when they dropped the price to 99.99?) didn't come with Cybermorph, could have sworn mine didn't. But I didn't care, since I got my CD at the same time, and it came with Battlemorph.

Yeah after the price was dropped it was sold as the "64-bit POWER KIT" without Cybermorph. The odd thing is, Atari clearly had tons of the carts sitting around, would it have killed them to include those? Chalk it up to yet another mind boggling Atari decision. Although let's be honest, it wouldn't have mattered either way. Their fate was already sealed by that point.

Cx4j-G9UUAABNdY.jpg

• Like 1

So what is the difference between the smaller and bigger Cybermorph games? Was it just the omission of certain voice tracks, or possibly animations all together? I just played this yesterday and my 2 year old was quite interested.

Edited by Papa

So what is the difference between the smaller and bigger Cybermorph games? Was it just the omission of certain voice tracks, or possibly animations all together? I just played this yesterday and my 2 year old was quite interested.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/59256-cybermorph-1mb-vs-cybermorph-2mb-vs-battlemorph-cd/

in short the opening screen featured a morphing animation and the green lady talks more (or simply she has more sentences that she can say) in the 2MB, there's also label variations:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/27128-cybermorph-label-variations/

So after seeing a bunch of bulk sales of hundreds of Cybermorph carts I got to thinking A) Did Atari actually produce more Cybermorphs than they did Jaguars? B) Does anyone not own a copy? It also seems like NOS boxed copies are still readily available as well.

Atari did that with the 2600 too I think. If I'm not mistaken, that was part of the whole Atari landfill thing... they had produced a few games in some numbers that actually exceeded the number of available systems. I don't know if that included VCS clones too in that equation.

Yeah after the price was dropped it was sold as the "64-bit POWER KIT" without Cybermorph. The odd thing is, Atari clearly had tons of the carts sitting around, would it have killed them to include those? Chalk it up to yet another mind boggling Atari decision. Although let's be honest, it wouldn't have mattered either way. Their fate was already sealed by that point.

<jaguar's advocate> But if they give away a game, maybe you wouldn't buy any others!

BTW chalk up Cybermorph for the "if it were any good, how come nobody's remaking it" pile. Cybermorph, Battlemorph, Hover Strike ...any favorite games in the "fly around a plain 3D landscape shooting stuff and looking for the door" genre.

Terminal Velocity and its cousin Fury for DOS/Windows, I suppose.

Well I turned mine into a skunkboard, so I have a naked one, does that count?

Edit - actually that might have been Checkered Flag, either way. Meh! No big loss.

"Where did you learn to hack a cart open and turn it into something better?"

• Like 2

Cybermorph is fine for what it is. Could have used a lot more polish (Battlemorph fixed this), but even then it's still a game that'll only appeal to a limited audience. I find it often gets bashed in internet media harder than it deserves, but it's not the kind of thing that deserved any major awards either.

• Like 2

I had lots of fun with the game back in the day. Not nearly as much as with AvP or T2K (my first batch of Jag games), but still plenty of fun nonetheless. FWIW, Hover Strike is underrated too. Now someone please shoot me.

• Like 1

Cybermorph is fine for what it is. Could have used a lot more polish (Battlemorph fixed this), but even then it's still a game that'll only appeal to a limited audience. I find it often gets bashed in internet media harder than it deserves, but it's not the kind of thing that deserved any major awards either.

I agree, if you put yourself in the mindset of when the Jag came out, it's certainly playable. It's not the garbage it's made out to be by YT videos, yet it hasn't really stood the test of time. Not that it was even outstanding to begin with.

• Like 1

Yeah. It had reasonably fast 3D graphics with gouraud shading, some voices, decent draw distance for the time. It was OK, not a system-seller, but a pretty good choice for a pack-in game.

When I first saw the Jaguar in Circuit City, I remember comparing Cybermorph to Spectre VR, which I had on my Mac. Cybermorph's lower resolution and small number of expensive games turned me off of the Jag at the time. I would get a used one a few years later when it was more affordable for me.

• Like 2

Yeah. It had reasonably fast 3D graphics with gouraud shading, some voices, decent draw distance for the time. It was OK, not a system-seller, but a pretty good choice for a pack-in game.

When I first saw the Jaguar in Circuit City, I remember comparing Cybermorph to Spectre VR, which I had on my Mac. Cybermorph's lower resolution and small number of expensive games turned me off of the Jag at the time. I would get a used one a few years later when it was more affordable for me.

... I don't recall Mac games being particularly cheap, like the Mac itself obviously.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue157/108_REVIEWS2_SPECTRE.php

• Like 1

... I don't recall Mac games being particularly cheap, like the Mac itself obviously.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue157/108_REVIEWS2_SPECTRE.php

Street prices were lower than that. I doubt I paid more than $30 via MacWarehouse. It would have been $60 in a mall store like Software Etc., who would stop carrying Mac stuff since no one would buy from them for some strange reason.

I wish I could find some scans of the old MacMall/MacWarehouse catalogs. Here's a cheesy review from MacWorld I just found while trying to find a mail-order ad price.

Yes, computers cost more than new game consoles. That's why most of us had to choose one or the other in the early 1990s. :D

• Like 1

Now THAT'S a game I haven't seen in quite a long time. Used to play this all the time in my high school's computer lab. The game was fun and ran smoothly, but to be fair, there's a lot more going on graphically in Cybermorph.