IGNORED

Does anyone not own Cybermorph?

madman

• 3 weeks later...

Since I bought my Jag this century, I have never played Cybermorph. Is it worth a look in?

In my opinion, not really ... but if you bothered to buy a Jaguar, it's surprising you don't already have it. It's symbolic of the Jag itself -- nothing terribly wrong with it, as it has more colors and polygons than the 16-bit competition, but nothing to get excited about, either. It was "meh" on launch and that was ages ago.

The write-up above, along with a YouTube video, should be enough for most people.

I actually really like Cybermorph. It's got a pretty good spread of easy and difficult levels. The voices can be annoying. I love the variety of enemies and backgrounds and play the game quite occasionally. I really don't see it as the failed program-meant-to-be-a-demo that Trevor Mcfur was, maybe? It's pretty fun and it works. It's not Phase Zero or SkyHammer by any stretch, but it's the pack in and there wasn't any immediately available 16-bit version of anything like it. It proved that shaded polygon worlds and morphing ship animations were possible.

I play it on my Jaguar cabinet readily and it's really very enjoyable if you aren't coming at it with a stereotype in waiting.

How can we all dis and judge games where there really are only one of their kind?

Who here really can't stand Dancing Eyes because it's just a copy of 'fill-in-the-blank-strip-anime-girl-game' but doesn't meet our expectations.

Was Cybermorph supposed to, like, dethrone StarFox, or something? I don't think so. It has deeply shaded polygons and lots of them to prove that the system can do a lot with the hardware. It was supposed to be a demo that sold the system, right?

Edited by Papa
  • Like 1

I agree, if you put yourself in the mindset of when the Jag came out, it's certainly playable. It's not the garbage it's made out to be by YT videos, yet it hasn't really stood the test of time. Not that it was even outstanding to begin with.

Yeah, but what Jag games HAVE stood the test of time? I mean, Iron Soldier still plays well to a certain extent, and I think Raiden is one of the more outstanding top-down shmups out there. But aside from those and Tempest, I have yet to play any Jaguar titles that keep me coming back for more. Of course, I've yet to play even half the games in my library, so maybe I'll find another to fall in love with.

• Like 1

Atari did that with the 2600 too I think. If I'm not mistaken, that was part of the whole Atari landfill thing... they had produced a few games in some numbers that actually exceeded the number of available systems. I don't know if that included VCS clones too in that equation.

Atari isn't the only company that does that. As of the most recent earnings release, Nintendo had sold more copies of Breath of the Wild for the Switch than they did actual Switch consoles. I guess the big difference is that when Nintendo makes more copies of the game than consoles, people still buy them. :P

• Like 1

Atari isn't the only company that does that. As of the most recent earnings release, Nintendo had sold more copies of Breath of the Wild for the Switch than they did actual Switch consoles. I guess the big difference is that when Nintendo makes more copies of the game than consoles, people still buy them. :P

Hahah... I guess I have to wonder what goes through their minds when they do that. Are they thinking they'll produce more on the thought that more consoles will get produced? Maybe...

Hahah... I guess I have to wonder what goes through their minds when they do that. Are they thinking they'll produce more on the thought that more consoles will get produced? Maybe...

I think in the BOTW example, there were just a bunch of people ordering the LE and wanting to leave it sealed, and buying a second regular copy to open and play. So it probably wasn't a good example.

I only mentioned it because I originally thought it was pretty funny that the Switch version of BOTW outsold the Switch itself. Plus there are all of the Wii U BOTW sales as well.

No, you wouldn't. :-D

Battlemorph has nice atmospheric music and double the framerate, and you never play that.

Hey how do you know that :-D I like the Battlemorph music and I think I would definitely play it if it were on cart and I could save my progress. As it is, I haven't justified the cost of entry to buy the CD version and get a memory tracker.

I know at one point Atari was giving away 1 of the 1st 5 games by mail order if you bought the system or 4 or so games, I got Dino Dudes, man that one ot me made fun of by my roommates, Dino dudes, Checkered Flag, Cybermorph, and Kasumi Ninja. The great 64bit machine that was going to kill the Sega Genesis.

Cybermorph was a very long and involved game I remember the same friends hating on the jag up till I got AvsP and Iron Soldier. Then one guy got addicted to cybermorph and dedicated the summer to playing through it. A beer in one hand a cigaret hanging out of his mouth and the ag controller in hand facing the world of Cybermorph.

Boy I hate that game.

I having previously owned a jaguar in my "youth" should know better.. But unfortunately the cheapest game I could find was cybermorph .. So I own it.. But only for troubleshooting purposes.

It's a horrible game!

I just bought AvP though ! Yay ... Just need to get the bloody console working now.

I know at one point Atari was giving away 1 of the 1st 5 games by mail order if you bought the system or 4 or so games, I got Dino Dudes, man that one ot me made fun of by my roommates, Dino dudes, Checkered Flag, Cybermorph, and Kasumi Ninja. The great 64bit machine that was going to kill the Sega Genesis.

Cybermorph was a very long and involved game I remember the same friends hating on the jag up till I got AvsP and Iron Soldier. Then one guy got addicted to cybermorph and dedicated the summer to playing through it. A beer in one hand a cigaret hanging out of his mouth and the ag controller in hand facing the world of Cybermorph.

Boy I hate that game.

Addicted to Cybermorph, that's something I've never heard before. How do you spend the summer playing through it, I think there's no password system and no saving, so you'd have to start from the beginning each time? Even though I think the game isn't bad, merely bland, that sounds like torture.

Hm maybe I ought to revisit cybermorph. I played it for an hour or two one day and beat all but one of the first group of planets, but I didn't remember it saving anything when I booted it up on other occasions and played it casually. Maybe I wasn't far enough in, or maybe my cart's save ability is defective

Edited by sirlynxalot

Hm maybe I ought to revisit cybermorph. I played it for an hour or two one day and beat all but one of the first group of planets, but I didn't remember it saving anything when I booted it up on other occasions and played it casually. Maybe I wasn't far enough in, or maybe my cart's save ability is defective

It doesn't save. It uses passwords.

• 2 months later...

Fired up Cybermorph tonight, been a long time since I really played it. A while back I had got some Jaguar stuff off a friend, was happy to see another friend of mine's nicknames still on the highscore table for this cart I have. I had fun playing it too, just can't blast off at high speed unless you wanna explode or hear about how bad of a flyer you are.