IGNORED

CBS Electronics Catalog

I found this scan of a page from a CBS Electronics catalog on Atarimania, on this page I can't help but notice how many games listed never got released. Never knew that Domino Man was getting home ports and CBS Electronics even planing on making games for the Intellivision, as other than the overseas Coleco releases, I don't think they've even released any games for the Intellivision. Which makes me wonder. Do at least one of these unreleased games have a prototype build out in the wild?

cat368002.jpg

According to this post the code to Atari 5200 Madden Football was found. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/33745-2600-madden-football/?p=3377625

A CBS press release listed eight titles for Intellivision. http://www.intvfunhouse.com/oddsnends/pressrelease/

The press release is dated June 1983 and has Intelivision Wizard of Wor and Gorf for release in July. You'd think think there must have been some work done on those two. Similarly for Blueprint, Solar Fox, Omega Race to make an August release. The programming would really have to be done to make those release schedules.

I wonder how Intellivision Madden Football would have turned out with 22 players on the field.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Wow, Madden Football nearly 10 years before John Madden Football!

From what I understand, the reason John Madden Football didn't get finished was that it wasn't possible for ANY of the precrash systems to be able to handle full teams -- that is, 22 players on field at once -- AND have other game action going on (sound effects, moving sprites, etc.). Even the Intelivision. There was a famous test called Red vs Blue done for the Atari 2600 that DID get 22 players on the screen but that was all it could handle, nothing else. And Madden refused to license his name or likeness to any football game that didn't have full teams on the screen. It wasn't until years later that technology finally allowed a 'real' football game that he signed on to the project, which became the groundbreaking 1989 game John Madden Football.

On topic, those other Coleco planned games are interesting. I never heard of some of those games -- Domino Man, Boulders and Bombs, and K-Star Patrol. Wonder if they were arcade games. I'll have to look them up.

I agree, even without the crash I can't see an Intellivision Madden football happening. It only has eight sprites. But what about 5200 Madden football. Is there any truth to it being found. And Madden Football was released for the older tech in Apple II and C64.