IGNORED

PETA got the boxing Kangaroo removed from Tekken 7

Rev

https://heatst.com/gaming/animal-activists-prompt-game-developer-to-cut-boxing-kangaroo-from-tekken-7/

Really? PETA has influence over a game character? Its laughable.

What's next, rounding up all the old Kangaroo arcade cabinets?

I'm convinced that PETA's marketing team comes up with a "controversy" like this every few years because it gets them in the news, which results in donations or something. A few years back, they were protesting SMB3's Tanooki suit, because it was Mario wearing fur. And of course, it made total sense to go on the warpath a bout a game that, at the time, was already 25 years old.

Even if you agree with their goals conceptually, I would avoid PETA like the plague. They're far more interested in freaking out over non-issues than about actually doing good for the animals of our world. If it's a cause that motivates you, find someone more worthy to support.

• Like 6

In general, I try to be very, very careful about which charitable organizations I give money to. So many of them seem only to be interested in self-perpetuation, with the nominal cause an afterthought at best.

• Like 2

I'm convinced that PETA's marketing team comes up with a "controversy" like this every few years because it gets them in the news, which results in donations or something. A few years back, they were protesting SMB3's Tanooki suit, because it was Mario wearing fur. And of course, it made total sense to go on the warpath a bout a game that, at the time, was already 25 years old.

Even if you agree with their goals conceptually, I would avoid PETA like the plague. They're far more interested in freaking out over non-issues than about actually doing good for the animals of our world. If it's a cause that motivates you, find someone more worthy to support.

I think you are on the money here. I've noticed that pattern too. Controversy sells.

They aren't alone. A lot of the outrage we see in the media is calculated by someone to sell a product.

• Like 1

Hmm... I'm opposed to killing. Can I get Call of Duty banned?

Also, I know it's easy to bash PETA, but did any of you actually read the article?

It’s unclear whether it was PETA that lodged any complaints, but executive producer Katsuhiro Harada says sensitivities towards kangaroos prompted the developers to omit Roger Jr.

• Like 2

Reading the article, this is clearly traditional Japanese 'stop controversy before it starts' tactics ("somebody saw a video of a guy punching a kangaroo & it made people mad- let's drop the character before they're mad at us instead") Nothing really unusual.

Now, with that out of the way- PETA is a terrible organization that uses crazy protests to draw attention away from the fact that they kill as many dogs & cats as they can get ahold of, and anyone who actually cares about animals should focus on the ASPCA or Humane Society, both of which do more in a day to help animals than PETA's done in their entire existence. Thank you for your time. *grabs soapbox & heads out*

• Like 2

I refuse to give to any animal charities as they all seem to have to be linked to these shady groups who attack people. NAMCO should be ashamed of itself for giving into these kinds of people.

Edited by wesr
  • Like 1

Shaking my head at "politics" in the game threads, and how many people just see what they want to see.

With or without kangaroos, Tekken is offensive in about a hundred other ways.

(I like it anyway, and have every Tekken game, on multiple systems)

All you need to do these days is pick a target and write an article about how offensive it is (it doesn't even need to be that offensive, it's very easy to spin it), get it shared on social media and before you know it you will have a mob with virtual pitchforks out to get them.

It's really important to stand your ground and not give into these demands. That mob will mostly forget about your controversy within a week and be outraged by something else. Unfortunately too many people cave.

• Like 1

I refuse to give to any animal charities as they all seem to have to be linked to these shady groups who attack people. NAMCO should be ashamed of itself for giving into these kinds of people.

Or you could actually read the article and realize there's no evidence PETA had anything to do with this. Instead of getting outraged at PETA you could get outraged at heatst.com for the clickbait headline that doesn't match the article.

But, PETA is an easy target, it's easy to get people up and bothered by putting "PETA" int he headline, and sure enough, out come the droves of people getting offended and pulling out their virtual pitchforks. It certainly worked for heatst.com in this case.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 3

Well done.

Now defend this

Nina-williams.png

this

Julia-Chang.png

and this

tekken-gon.jpg

Hmmm... I'm gonna go with "How I dress is my decision", "My culture is not a costume", and "protect endangered species".

I like this game! It's like reading Tumblr without being concerned over humanity!

• Like 1

You're winning at text Tekken. Want some more? I am pretty certain we can do this all day.

tumblr_o3wsa2ZOge1skasmxo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_oe4ghauuJz1vapz75o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

More endangered species (if the panda was the one getting kicked, there could be a 'd**ks out for Panda' joke here)

And sex trafficking is a serious problem, we must make people aware of the issue!

• 1 month later...

PETA didn't actually file a complaint. Did anyone read the article? Or did they just act stupid and misunderstand sensationalist headlines?

---

At the same time Peta are assholes. I talked everyone I know that donated to them to never do so again.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3