Finally, an Apple II plus again!

apple II plus

11 replies to this topic

#1 simbalion OFFLINE  

simbalion

Dragonstomper

• 747 posts

Posted Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:20 PM

After waiting half the day for the guy to finally arrive, I finally am an owner of an Apple II plus again after foolishly giving up my first years back. Other than the broken 'Z' key, it's in pretty good shape and does seem to work just fine, including the original Disk II. The power light seems to work when it wants (tapping it brings it on when it doesn't come on immediately) and the stub from the broken Z key is gone. The stub somehow either fell out or one of his family members pulled it out and pitched it. If it was still there, I think I could have repaired the key! Grrr! Might figure something out. Anyways, here are a quick couple of pictures. One of the inside and one of it set up temporarily for testing. Anyone know if a joystick card was made for this unit?

Attached File  100_1539.JPG   218.49KB   1 downloads

Attached File  100_1541.JPG   158.6KB   1 downloads

#2 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,564 posts

Posted Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 PM

Game I/O is a chip socket on the right rear of the motherboard. A stick or paddle set is plugged directly onto it.

#3 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,596 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:07 AM

They made the Koala Pad (graphics tablet) that plugs into that socket. To me, a kid at the time, it was hi-tech. I had a real-life CAD system going. Woot!

What I found useful was an extension cable that brought the game i/o connector outside. It was a simple ZIF DIP socket connected to ribbon cable and plug. You could probably rig one up yourself easily enough, or pay $50 fleabay prices.. blechh..

#4 simbalion OFFLINE  

simbalion

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 747 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 AM

I guess the better question would be: Did someone made an actual joystick for the II or II plus? All I've ever seen for them are game paddles. I know that the IIe an IIc have a joystick as I have two of those for the later units. I think the lack of a true joystick is one of the reasons I gave up on my other II plus years back when I found my IIc.

Edited by simbalion, Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 AM.

#5 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,564 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 AM

The one I had was "tri-compatible". DB9f plug for a IIe, a switch on the bottom to set to PC, plus a small wire with DB9m and DIP ends to be used with II/II+. So yes, they did exist.

#6 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,555 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 AM

I guess the better question would be: Did someone made an actual joystick for the II or II plus? All I've ever seen for them are game paddles.

Good question. I think even the earliest joysticks may not have appeared until the early '80s, toward the tail end of the ][+'s retail life. I'm thinking along the lines of the TG Products joystick. But without definitive release dates it's difficult to say for certain. Sifting through old computer publications from '78-81 for ads or reviews, while tedious and time-consuming, is probably the best course of action.

#7 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,596 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 PM

Apple, Kraft, Suncom, TG, CH Products, Wico, and adapters to use standard VCS sticks. No lack of joysticks at all.

Edited by Keatah, Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 PM.

#8 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,596 posts

Posted Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:24 PM

I had 2 joysticks already before the II+ came out.

#9 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,555 posts

Posted Mon May 1, 2017 8:18 AM

I had 2 joysticks already before the II+ came out.

Details? :)

#10 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,596 posts

Posted Mon May 1, 2017 10:33 AM

The old standby TG Products project box model. It used an R/C airplane transmitter stick. And a no-name stick in a metal box with 3 buttons, it may have been from a cad system or something. But the guy at DataDomain sold it to me for 30.

We don't hear of early joysticks much because they weren't manufactured in significant quantity.

On a side note. I got this thing called the Space Tablet, and it plugs into the port. And its got this swing arm you move around an object and it digitizes it. Think mini industrial robot with potentiometers at the joints rather than motors. All the magic is in the software. Incidentally it acts as a joystick and you can play games with it. Not that it's practical for gaming..

But the most "sleeper" and useful bit of hardware I got is this little circuit board. It brings the game i/o socket outside and makes it easy to use with ZIF. There have been times I went to WaReZ cOnFeReNcEs and wouldn't bother taking the Transwarp with, but instead this little guy.

Attached File  DSCN0226.JPG   2.72MB   0 downloads

Edited by Keatah, Mon May 1, 2017 10:36 AM.

#11 splendidnut OFFLINE  

splendidnut

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Mon May 1, 2017 6:14 PM

My dad had a joystick with the DIP socket connector for his Apple ][+.  From what I remember, I believe it was made by Kraft.  Sadly one of the plastic axis supports broke.  That joystick is currently either lost or gone.  Not sure which.

#12 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,555 posts

Posted Tue May 2, 2017 2:54 PM

The old standby TG Products project box model. It used an R/C airplane transmitter stick. And a no-name stick in a metal box with 3 buttons, it may have been from a cad system or something. But the guy at DataDomain sold it to me for 30.

:thumbsup:  I didn't realize the TG stick was out so early! I thought it appeared around '81 or '82, maybe '80 at the earliest.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple II plus

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users