IGNORED

Original Atari 2600 CIB box says Toronto?

Pheadrus

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the site but a long time Atari enthusiast. I still have my original Atari but it's been well used. I had a friend offer me a complete in the original box 2600 with the cardboard inserts, etc. It is basically new but the box has been opened. I've been reading to try and figure out which version it is. My friend is in another city and doesn't know much about it. He says it doesn't have the chess piece below ST. I asked if it said California or Hong Kong on the box and he said it has Toronto?? I can't find any info on boxes with Toronto on it. Can anyone tell me about this box and what version of 2600 it should be? It's definiately a six switch. What would be a rough idea of value? I was thinking $200 but I don't know the market.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Edited by Pheadrus

I know, I've been trying to get some pics but he's not exactly great with technology. What would an original like new 6 switcher complete in the open box be worth even if it's from 1978-81? I'm just looking for a fair price for both of us.

My original console is an Atari - Wong Inc. with serial #568403608. So I'm guessing mine is a light sixer??

Thanks.

Click "more reply optiins" in the post. Adding a picture is pretty self explanatory from there.

lol I know how to post pics. The problem is that the seller hasn't sent me any yet. He lives in the next city over from me. I was suppose to go look at it tomorrow but I'd like a ball park for value so I don't have to drive there twice.

Thanks.

We were talking $200 but he thought it was an original 2600 from 77 which it isn't. I got him to verify it doesn't have the chess piece on the box. I asked him if it said Sunnyvale or Hong Kong and he said it says Toronto. Did Atari's distributed in Canada get a differnt box?

Well, here is a cib heavy sixer for $149.99 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Launch-Edition-Woodgrain-Console-NTSC-/112387207254?hash=item1a2accb056:g:mh0AAOSw4A5YzuXR

EDIT:

It appears it is a light sixer in a heavy sixer box.

EDIT:

I didn't realize this but I guess it could have still been the original box I guess they use that picture for all of them I just seen this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tested-Works-ATARI-2600-Wood-Grain-Original-Box-Complete-Joysticks-Paddles-/122434148533?hash=item1c81a4d8b5:g:ZPIAAOSwax5YrJPqshows a 4 switch with the bottom case of heavy six.

Edited by SignGuy81

That one is used, being sold as is, and has no quarantee it works. The one I'm interested in is suppose to be like new in an opened box. The Ebay one also has $30 in shipping. So if no one bids it would be $130US. But I'm in Canada so it becomes $180CDN plus I have to pay taxes at the border so I'd be at about $200CDN which is how much the one is I'm looking at locally.

Edited by Pheadrus

That one is used, being sold as is, and has no quarantee it works. The one I'm interested in is suppose to be like new in an opened box. The Ebay one also has $30 in shipping. So if no one bids it would be $130US. But I'm in Canada so it becomes $180CDN plus I have to pay taxes at the border so I'd be at about $200CDN which is how much the one is I'm looking at locally.

Oh I wasn't suggesting buying it all I was trying to find some sort of reference for what one sells for on ebay still in box.

So without having pics, let's say it's a 1980 light sixer in like new condition in it's original but open box. I can likely get it for about $200CDN/$145US. Would you buy it if you were looking for an Atari??

Edited by Pheadrus

We were talking $200 but he thought it was an original 2600 from 77 which it isn't. I got him to verify it doesn't have the chess piece on the box. I asked him if it said Sunnyvale or Hong Kong and he said it says Toronto. Did Atari's distributed in Canada get a differnt box?

Not usually. And Atari Canada's headquarters were on Gough Ave. in Markham, so I've no idea why it would be marked 'Toronto'. I vaguely recall A8 Atari Canada boxes coming with a silver Atari Canada address labels slapped on the box, and the mail-in inserts were to Atari Canada, but they were not otherwise stylistically different.