https://www.raspberr...ootmodes/msd.md

-Thom

#752 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:25 PM

I have a second issue with file access on physical drives.

on the tipi device, I can use the EOF(1) function to detect the end of the file.

on the physical drive in the PEB the EOF function reports always '0' so

the program reads over the end of the file and I get an error.

If this is also a known issue pleas ignore the post.

I've just published update 31 - February 20th...  This fixes the hangs when using DSK.  I tested that this works for DSK.<volname> where <volname> is a directory on TIPI. and where volname is the name of a TI floppy controller disk.

and fixes the status/eof function for unmapped drives. TIPI was intercepting and not letting it go on to the real disk.

Let me know if you find any more bugs! Thanks for reporting these!!!

-M@

#753 wolhess ONLINE  

wolhess

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:01 AM

Hi Jedimatt42,

the functions DSK.<VOLNAME>. and EOF (1) now works as expected for physical drives as well.

Many Thanks for your fast response and the solution.

wolhess

#754 wolhess ONLINE  

wolhess

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:03 AM

Hi,

The RXB Command FCOPY does not work with a physical drive in my TIPI system.
Maybe that is also a problem of the tipi sw, maybe even only in RXB.

TIPI System with DSR Build: 2018-06-23
PI-Version: 1.0betav031

In my tipi-system 4ADOS is maped as DSK1.
DSK2. and DSK3. are physical drives in my PEB and unmapped in the tipi config.

On the RXB 2015 commandline

>CALL FCOPY(“DSK1.”,”FILENAME1”,”DSK1.”,”FILENAME2”) is working fine.

>CALL FCOPY(“DSK2.”,”FILENAME1”,”DSK2.”,”FILENAME2”) shows after half a second
then next commandline prompt, but no disk activity, no file was copied.

>CALL FCOPY(“DSK1.”,”FILENAME1”,”DSK2.”,”FILENAME2”) shows after half a second

then next commandline prompt, but no disk activity, no file was copied.

>CALL FCOPY(“DSK2.”,”FILENAME1”,”DSK1.”,”FILENAME2”) shows after half a second

then next commandline prompt, but only an emty file was created on DSK1.

#755 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 AM

I have not been able to fix file copy routines. There is no standard specification for how they work in the TI world. There is some convention, but it appears to be incomplete.  My own file copy proof of concept routines show that a file manager can be written that works. But I've had to use explicit crubases to invoke the low level file management subroutines.  This is a problem with all Level 2 IO in the TI specification for the floppy controller. It doesn't work with the cascading delegation correctly.  We have the same issues using DM2K. 

I am working on a new command line file manager.  The only thing the TI spec for file management says is that board vendors must provide a file manager - the TI floppy controller Level 2 routines were not designed as a standard for multiple cards to implement. 

I have been slowly working on this, but it got big, and so I needed to learn a bank-switching technique and implement that. I'm currently in the middle of migrating the code I had into a cartridge form. This takes some rework... Greg has tested a previous - pre-release that maybe functions, maybe well enough to share just so we can get past this file-copy hurdle... 

-M@

#756 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:19 AM

(I'd edit, but the forum UI is acting very weird... )

I would change:

"I have not been able to fix file copy routines."  

to:

"I have not been able to fix pre-existing software that uses these level 2 file management routines."

-M@

#757 wolhess ONLINE  

wolhess

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 AM

This is not a real problem for me.

So I will waiting for your new filemanager.

If you have something to test, I could do it.

Thank you.

#758 atrax27407 ONLINE  

atrax27407

Stargunner

• 1,255 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:07 AM

It is incumbent for the "new guy on the block" to accommodate existing software and not the other way around.

#759 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 PM

It is incumbent for the "new guy on the block" to accommodate existing software and not the other way around.

That is not how new storage devices have ever worked on the TI, as there is no actual standard that allows your desire.
When the IDE came out, it required a new file manager.
When the SCSI came out, it required a new file manager.
When the Myarc HFDC came out, it required a new file manager.

This is only a problem when using TIPI adjacent to a legacy floppy.

-M@

#760 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,717 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:39 AM

The file copy issues have been the main barrier preventing me from getting a TIPI as I find that reliable interfacing between TIPI and legacy floppy drives to be essential (in my particular case). Hopefully this issue will be solved eventually. We all have real lives and jobs to compete with 😊

#761 wolhess ONLINE  

wolhess

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:29 PM

The file copy issues have been the main barrier preventing me from getting a TIPI as I find that reliable interfacing between TIPI and legacy floppy drives to be essential (in my particular case). Hopefully this issue will be solved eventually. We all have real lives and jobs to compete with

since the tipi update v31 from yesterday you can handle files between tipi path and physical drives from BASIC, XBASIC and RXB.

OLD, SAVE, PRINT #1, INPUT #1 works fine now.

The Diskmanager DM2K V2.6 I tested today works also between a maped tipi path and a physical floppy. So in my system I can copy files from TIPI.XB.Filename (TIPI.XB = maped to DSK1.) and DSK2. (a real disk in my PEB).

Thank you again to Jedimat42!

Edited by wolhess, Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 PM.

#762 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 PM

since the tipi update v31 from yesterday you can handle files between tipi path and physical drives from BASIC, XBASIC and RXB.
The Diskmanager DM2K V2.6 I tested today works also between a maped tipi path and a physical floppy. So in my system I can copy files from TIPI.XB.Filename (TIPI.XB = maped to DSK1.) and DSK2. (a real disk in my PEB).

My pleasure!

-M@

#763 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 PM

The major outstanding issue is that lots of tool that do file copy cannot copy from legacy devices to TIPI or TIPI mapped drives. The only change I can make to TIPI to fix those is to remove the floppy controller and run TIPI at crubase 1100... That's not the point of TIPI though. Consequently there will never be a way to fix this without updating pre-existing software. Most of the software in the TI world is closed-source, so I cannot do that either.

I will re-iterate for those who have failed to follow along:

TIPI will never provide 100% emulation of a floppy or spinny disk device, because as the "new kid on the block" I don't value that at all. I do value my own time, and level 2 IO such as block reads/writes, and file/directory management, level 3 io, and retro-progressive features. I don't value reading catalogs through the non-standard, although customary sector 0, when there is the also customary and standardized catalog-file specification.

If people are looking for 100% TI Floppy compatibility, then stop!!! don't buy a TIPI... or do... I don't care. I don't plan to ever build another TIPI. Greg has thankfully partnered with another provider who has produced the last 30ish boards. TIPI sales has zero to do with me.

I do plan to continue supporting the software stack if good bugs are reported or good feature requests are made, and to get a file manager out that works for copying both directions... I will release a very early pre-release this weekend. It may not be intuitive, so I plan to create a video if my capture device still works.

-M@

#764 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 3,222 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:04 PM

Yeah guys, for the love of god, don't use this thing as a floppy device. It's meant to replace all of that with something (in my opinion) a lot more straightforward.

-Thom

#765 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 314 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:44 PM

Without using external / supplemental / additional displays or keyboards, can i shutdown or poweroff my Raspberry Pi using the TI as a keyboard to issue a shutdown command to it through tipi?

My setup is going to be TI Extended Basic, 32k, and tipi + Raspberry Pi 3B+ soon.

I realize the Pi can be shutdown remotely over SSH from my PC/Laptop, but i would prefer to be able to shut it down at the end of my TI session without leaving my TI.

Edited by jrhodes, Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 PM.

#766 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 3,222 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:53 PM

I just leave mine on, it only consumes a few watts while idle.

-Thom

#767 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Moonsweeper

• 314 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 PM

I just leave mine on, it only consumes a few watts while idle.

-Thom

True, but we have frequent brown-outs by our power company here.

#768 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 PM

https://github.com/j...pi/wiki/TIPICFG

You can turn it off from the 4A. I have also been working on guidance for adding a simple button to the PI.
You can also write a tiny little BASIC program to shutdown the PI by writing to PI.SHUTDOWN, I believe...

-M@

#769 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,336 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:36 PM

Without using external / supplemental / additional displays or keyboards, can i shutdown or poweroff my Raspberry Pi using the TI as a keyboard to issue a shutdown command to it through tipi?

My setup is going to be TI Extended Basic, 32k, and tipi + Raspberry Pi 3B+ soon.

I realize the Pi can be shutdown remotely over SSH from my PC/Laptop, but i would prefer to be able to shut it down at the end of my TI session without leaving my TI.

yes.. this is a simple process,  call tipi from basic, hit H for HALT then wait till the lights stop blinking and  power off the PI 

have you looked at any of the videos or documentation?  a lot of simple answers are there and matt's entire statement up front that you "don't need anything connected to the PI but your TI you can do everything from your TI" is the primary goal of this project.. 

#770 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,336 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 PM

they make nice battery packs for computers..  I'd use it for all of them if I had frequent brownouts. there's 30 open source plans for battery backing your pi too.. 

Greg

#771 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,336 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:48 PM

here's a basic program that does the pi shut down

Attached Files

#772 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 901 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 PM

Hmmm,

Just updated to 031 and was using DM2K with a Myarc HFDC and was not able to copy files from TIPI path to physical floppy.  I was using DM2K v2.6 03-05-2015.

Beery

#773 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,336 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 PM

Hmmm,

Just updated to 031 and was using DM2K with a Myarc HFDC and was not able to copy files from TIPI path to physical floppy.  I was using DM2K v2.6 03-05-2015.

Beery

What is your cru address? and his?  did you copy from TIPI. or map DSK1. to a folder and copy from that?

Matt's dm is the only tool I would expect to work with this, and that's because it requires you to specify the cru address if there are two devices with DSK1. 

Greg

#774 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:42 PM

Hmmm,

Beery

Yes, that is what I just got done saying will never be fixed in pre-existing software.
The opposite tends to work in DM2K, due to a fluke.

-M@

#775 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,962 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:06 PM

Super-Beta-Monkey-Team-Hyperforce-Go!

This attached software does not know anything about SCSI's or IDE's or WSD's or HRD's... it knows about TIPI, and DSK#.

It is a simplistic command line interface.

Type help to see a list of commands.
type help <command> to see arguments to command...

With this you can copy from DSK1 to DSK1 where they are 2 separate devices...

1000.DSK1. is different than 1100.DSK1.

When entering a folder path you can specify the leading crubase address to disambiguate. If not specified it will find the first device with the given name.

It does not support wildcarding, or copying multiple files at once, or scripting, or file redirection, or variables, or any of the things you might expect out of an MS-DOS like environment.
There is no concept of drive letters, or current directory on a different drive...

I will not be patching this code... it is where I was at back in December. It exists as the tipifm branch on github under the clients folder.

Instead I'm working from a different source base to build a richer cartridge based, implementation. However I've had to take several steps backwards there.

Anyway... It can copy to floppies. Or at least I recall it doing so last December.

Attached File  TIPIFM_1_2.zip   10.74KB   10 downloads

-M@

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users