IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 switch static.

apersonthingy

Well.. I can't explain it, but re-adding the TV switcher box actually fixed it.. Almost crystal clear. I messed around with that thing a lot before I got rid of it. But sure enough, somehow, it works. I would like to personally thank everyone who commented with helpful tips and who tried to help out. Idk why this fixes it, whether it's obvious or completely random, but it works.

20170505_165520.mp4

NP. I would take another look though seriously at that cap. I could be wrong hard to tell for sure by the picture (may just look like it cause the angle seeing it from) but that 4.7uF cap could be leaking out onto the board.

I'm buying this on Ebay. If the static isn't completely gone, I'll look into that cap. Thanks again.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Switch-Box-Adapter-for-Atari-2600-Modern-Hookups-Video-Game-RF-TV-75ohm-Coax-/111599345652?hash=item19fbd6dff4:g:dVoAAMXQCZ1Tdm6x

Are you using this on a TV that has an analog/digital tuner where you have an antenna hooked up to it and need to be able to switch between Game and TV(antenna)? If not get this instead because it is a lot cheaper and you have some for your other systems and is also better at blocking interference.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301939295967?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you do need a switch though instead I would get this automatic one which is cheaper than the one you showed me

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Universal-RF-Unit-Adapter-SNES-NES-Sega-Genesis-1-3DO-TV-Game-Switch-/171838299831?hash=item28025c5eb7:g:BU0AAOxyBPZTiOFx

I just noticed that automatic switch has the cord built in for the RF which means you would have to run it into the Atari though and I'm not sure how long the cord is by looking at it so it may or may not be a good option depending where you have your Atari placed.

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 1

When you said Static, I was thinking don't use a NES RF Switch

That's funny. I grew up with Atari, Sega, and NES and never had static with my NES RF Switch. Only ones I've had trouble with are the manual switches when the contacts stop making good contact.

Are you using this on a TV that has an analog/digital tuner where you have an antenna hooked up to it and need to be able to switch between Game and TV(antenna)? If not get this instead because it is a lot cheaper and you have some for your other systems and is also better at blocking interference.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301939295967?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you do need a switch though instead I would get this automatic one which is cheaper than the one you showed me

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Universal-RF-Unit-Adapter-SNES-NES-Sega-Genesis-1-3DO-TV-Game-Switch-/171838299831?hash=item28025c5eb7:g:BU0AAOxyBPZTiOFx

I just noticed that automatic switch has the cord built in for the RF which means you would have to run it into the Atari though and I'm not sure how long the cord is by looking at it so it may or may not be a good option depending where you have your Atari placed.

I'm afraid I purchased it before looking at this. I think it will be fine, and $25 CAD isn't anything to lose sleep over. It should arrive before the end of the month. Will keep posted.

• 4 weeks later...

The switcher box came in about 2 weeks ago, sorry for not keeping updated. It improves the static, but doesn't completely remove it. Not even close. It's not quite as touchy as the old ones, but it still isn't great. However, I am OK with it for now. I sealed it in an anti-static bag, and as long as you don't move it any serious amount, it's actually almost perfect. Will post a picture of my collection and the nearly static - free screen when I get through all the games. Thanks to everyone who commented with helpful tips, and if you come across anything that can absolutely clear all the static, feel free to comment. I am in no rush to actively search for anything though. I am content.

The switcher box came in about 2 weeks ago, sorry for not keeping updated. It improves the static, but doesn't completely remove it. Not even close. It's not quite as touchy as the old ones, but it still isn't great. However, I am OK with it for now. I sealed it in an anti-static bag, and as long as you don't move it any serious amount, it's actually almost perfect. Will post a picture of my collection and the nearly static - free screen when I get through all the games. Thanks to everyone who commented with helpful tips, and if you come across anything that can absolutely clear all the static, feel free to comment. I am in no rush to actively search for anything though. I am content.

You can try wrapping the switchbox in foil tape, it did the trick on one of mine a while back. There is that little bit of open area where the switch is that RF signals can get into so wrapping the foil tape around the entire thing helps with that. If you don't have foil tape you could try wrapping it tight with aluminum foil and taping it tight to the box. If that doesn't help I would get an RF to Coax adapter though.

That looks like interference, by something strong nearby.

When you have bad connections, interference "leaks" into the signal.

Bad connections(cut wires) ruin the impedance - ie the 75ohm for round cable(RCA and cable tv) and 300 for flat(really old antenna wire).

Impedance is NOT resistance! Its kinda of hard to explain, but its kinda like the resistance "difference" between the signal(inside wire) and the shielding/ground(woven metal under the outside rubber,plastic,pvc - etc).

That description is probably wrong somehow, but having bad connections is what causes that. Like cutting ends off and using lose wire.

Use just a SHELLED RCA(either one attached to the original 2600 or a known good cable for the atari jr) and a RCA to coax(type f) adapter.

I'm assuming that by "1 fat and two smaller ones", you mean one original and two Atari jrs.

Using just a one of those plain red,white or yellow cables will have interference.

You can even use a RCA style sub woofer/digital audio cable if have one

- basically any RCA cable that at least 3 - 4mm thick will be shielded.

And almost all RCA cables are 75ohm - I never seen one that wasn't specially made in a different impedance.

Take one of you untouched, unopened Atari with the coax adapter, good cable and SHUT OFF ALL ELECTRONICS within 60 feet.

Then try it on channel three and four - one may have less static than the other.

That should tell whats causing the static after you know the connection to the tv is correct.

Computers, fans, motors, lights, AC, central heating, heaters could all be problems.

If ALL of your Atari do this, than its NOT any of the Atari!

It almost certain that the difference between your two videos was a slightly better connection and some piece of electronics was shut off.

Also, auto switchers wont work will the Atari - they need power that the VCS doesn't put out. (using a nes rf box will make a picture like yours)

Edited by H454