IGNORED

Action shot: Video Chess with my son

digdugnate

he says that the PEB is 'too noisy' and that the games look like 'grandpa games'. Kids these days!

he's played two-player with me on several games including Bigfoot and Alpiner- both he and my daughter are a little puzzled at the computer setup, but they think it's 'pretty cool'.

My son in particular really likes the idea that you can program in several languages with it (I showed him Extended Basic and Logo, and he wants to see Assembly when I pick up the cartridge/disks).

I'm pretty sure they both think their father is crazy. :D

• Like 1

that's right! i wouldn't disagree with you in the slightest. :)

although... my wife did kind of sigh when i got another USPS box today with 5 more cartridges.

(but bless her heart she supports my hobby)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

When I was in middle school in the late 80s (this makes me a young'un) our computer lab had ][c and ][e machines.

i had friends that worked with my dad at TI so their houses had TI computers, but I don't recall seeing one 'out in the wild', either aside from K-Mart or similar.

Yeh, I was a young man fresh out of the military in Hinesville Georgia, working at a Piggly Wiggly as a meat cutter, taking care of my daughter(sole parent, bad first wife). I couldn't afford anything like that, then. I got my first TI from a Goodwill in Indiana in the early 90's , so I didn't get to attend any of those 'computer labs', I would have taken to it like a duck to water :grin:

• Like 1

That is an amazing photo of a computer lab! Any reference as to the year or where it was? Back then the only computer lab I saw like that was full of Apple ][e computers. I don't think I ever saw a 99/4A outside my f my house. Lucky kids for sure.

uuh, I saw it 2 or 3 years ago, then I couldn´t find it back (wanted to post it otherwise, for the loudness).

Then, I found it again last year, and directly scanned it. But now, I cannot remember where it came from.

But I am sure I will see it again :) I´ll let you know, cannot be far away from me.

Here, as a hint, the full scan.

Maybe this one word tells you something.

Seeing the yellow color now, I think it was the MicroPendium

post-41141-0-42252500-1493914841_thumb.jpg

A magazine or possibly a year book? Well funded school though, to have purchased all those PEBs and 10" monitors. I feel sorry for the girl sitting by herself at what looks like the front of the class. ;-) I would have loved to have been in that class!

• Like 2

We had a DEC PDP-11/34 in our school, yeah, with 3x VT100´s and a VT52 printer/terminal.

But our teacher tried to teach us something about ticker tapes and this ole stuff, but we were definitely not interested :) :)

So after half a year or so, we decided that every day antoher student had to do the lesson, with some preparation.

So I was "teaching" UCSD-Pascal.

The teacher was sitting aside all this time, I think he was really listening to us :)

(He was a bit older then, and ticktapes was new for him) ha

As I always hacked the passwords from the RT11/SJ, I had to go about twice a month the school director. uuuh bad audience.

First duty was that I only was allowed to use the VT52 (it has NO monitor, but can be used as terminal)

When they finally locked me out of the computer room, I learned to open doors/locks. Still participation from this, today :grin:

Then I just didn´t went to the classes, but to the computer room (when empty), having all this nice stuff for me alone :)

post-41141-0-86154000-1494001745.jpg

• Like 1

When I was in high school in Geneva Ohio in about 1986, we had a lab full of TI99/4a's. The student machines had tape drives, and there was another section of the class with a couple of PEBs.

I recall going during study hall and creating a bitmap display of the school mascot (an Eagle maybe) that would wink at you when you pressed a key. As I recall, I traced it onto graph paper and remapped characters to do it...

No pictures, though.

Come to think of it- I went to many different schools growing up (we moved around) and they all had different setups. The middle school in Perry Ohio had a lab full of C64's with VIC-switches (I ended up setting up and running the lab for the Geography teacher and consequently can't tell you the Capitol of any state or country or where any country is on the globe). When I moved to Georgia, they had Apple IIe's. I've never talked to anyone where the school lab had Atari computers. Likely that would have been seen as game machines.

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

The closest to technology we had in high school was a hand cranked Gestetener very similar to this one (I can still smell the wonderful aroma of that purple ink!)

the only computers I ever encountered back then were in sci-fi novels (and they were not as "friendly" as the TI, usually playing the role of super-villain!)

post-40994-0-01821300-1494082217.jpg

• Like 1