IGNORED

Castlevania III - Demon Seed (POKEY Chiptune Cover) [NTSC]

Fragmare

Hmmm,

the XEX versions of "Demon Seed", "Wily`s Castle", "Flash Man" and "Push On" all display Noname song when loaded / played back on the Atari or emulator. Maybe you can change this and give them their proper names instead of Noname song ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin

By popular request, and also because this one was on my "must do" list of NES music to cover. Enjoy! :) XEX attached.

Castlevania III - Demon Seed

Nice job; thanks for working on it. Definitely one of my favorites.

A little bit of feedback: if you listen closely to the original NES version, the bass goes back and forth between distorted and clean sounds on certain parts. Well, technically a distorted bass and a clean bass are playing simultaneously when the distorted one comes in, then the distorted one will stop and leave the clean one playing by itself.

I had a quick look to see if I could hack in a clean bass instrument to play alternately with the distorted one. But I could see/hear you had the main repeating part on a loop, once I created the new instrument and added it in for a few bars. So, no way to really test it out without unrolling the repeat.

Nice job; thanks for working on it. Definitely one of my favorites.

A little bit of feedback: if you listen closely to the original NES version, the bass goes back and forth between distorted and clean sounds on certain parts. Well, technically a distorted bass and a clean bass are playing simultaneously when the distorted one comes in, then the distorted one will stop and leave the clean one playing by itself.

I had a quick look to see if I could hack in a clean bass instrument to play alternately with the distorted one. But I could see/hear you had the main repeating part on a loop, once I created the new instrument and added it in for a few bars. So, no way to really test it out without unrolling the repeat.

Thanks! I don't know about the Jp VRC6 version, since I covered the US 2A03 version, but in the source material there's a deep bassline, then a deep rhythm synth that spends most of it's time mirroring the bassline. I decided to use distortion bit E for the actual bassline, and the slightly cleaner sounding C distortion bit for the rhythm bit... I thought it worked out rather nice

@Fragmare

Your edits were very helpful , to have some impressions of POKEY music "from another point of view" ....

Have a listen to this one. It uses 16 bit basses and high percussions. It's in no way perfect, but a good demonstration how things could be . The "trimming" of the basses depend on the instrument of the "other" channel... as RMT doesn't handle the 16 bit resolution.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

Thanks! I don't know about the Jp VRC6 version, since I covered the US 2A03 version, but in the source material there's a deep bassline, then a deep rhythm synth that spends most of it's time mirroring the bassline. I decided to use distortion bit E for the actual bassline, and the slightly cleaner sounding C distortion bit for the rhythm bit... I thought it worked out rather nice

OK, I see what you're saying about the rhythm part. I hadn't looked around enough to see what the rhythm part was doing exactly. It's an interesting approach that you took and makes some sense based on how the different types of distortions sound with various lengths on the envelope.

No complaints about how it turned; it's a good version. My ears are just used to the way the "heavy" sound cuts in and out. So, I wasn't sure if you had noticed it. But I can see you were working around the "tough" POKEY bass sounds. It's definitely not easy, without going the stereo route, where things can have better tuning.

I did a little edit and switched around the two types of distortions you were using. I also edited the envelopes for each. Just a little experiment.

Thanks for providing the source file.

Demon_Seed_POKEY01a4.xex

Edited by MrFish

It's definitely not easy, without going the stereo route, where things can have better tuning.

BTW, speaking of stereo, I wouldn't consider it "cheating" at all to go for stereo POKEY on this tune, especially considering what sound capabilities the Castlevania III cart itself added to the NES version. It'd be more like "evening the playing field", really.

OK, I see what you're saying about the rhythm part. I hadn't looked around enough to see what the rhythm part was doing exactly. It's an interesting approach that you took and makes some sense based on how the different types of distortions sound with various lengths on the envelope.

No complaints about how it turned; it's a good version. My ears are just used to the way the "heavy" sound cuts in and out. So, I wasn't sure if you had noticed it. But I can see you were working around the "tough" POKEY bass sounds. It's definitely not easy, without going the stereo route, where things can have better tuning.

I did a little edit and switched around the two types of distortions you were using. I also edited the envelopes for each. Just a little experiment.

Thanks for providing the source file.

attachicon.gifDemon_Seed_POKEY01a4.xex

Yea, man... edit and/or improve any of these any way you like. That's why I upload 'em. I'm no PoKEY expert, I'm just trying to get a better feel for the chip and cover some classic 8-bit era tunes while doing so. :)

If I could ask for the next remake, could you try to do Duck Tales - Moon stage? :-) I already started working on it but might be nice to hear a different approach.

Duck Tales is good. I just got finished covering some Sunsoft, so I will see what I want to cover next.

BTW, speaking of stereo, I wouldn't consider it "cheating" at all to go for stereo POKEY on this tune, especially considering what sound capabilities the Castlevania III cart itself added to the NES version. It'd be more like "evening the playing field", really.

Yea! the standard PoKEY can go up against the 2a03 version, and the Stero-PoKEY version can go up against the VRC6 version! :D

• Like 1

Yea, man... edit and/or improve any of these any way you like. That's why I upload 'em. I'm no PoKEY expert, I'm just trying to get a better feel for the chip and cover some classic 8-bit era tunes while doing so. :)

You're doing a great job pulling the needed sounds out of POKEY. It's cool to hear all this new material for the chip. I'm no POKEY expert either, just trying to help out a little bit. I'm actually a musician of 36 years (mainly guitar, mandolin, and bass), but I've done very little with POKEY music (spend most of my time on other Atari-related interests). So I appreciate seeing others put time into it.

Yea! the standard PoKEY can go up against the 2a03 version, and the Stero-PoKEY version can go up against the VRC6 version! :D

Haha... I actually prefer the bass sounds used on the 2A03/MMC5 version, but a single POKEY is pretty much handicapped compared to either.

Edited by MrFish