IGNORED

TI-99/4a and floppy disk storage options - revisited

mr_gw454

Hello everyone,

While searching through some old posts, it still looks like there is no modern floppy storage option for the Ti-99/4a besides the original PEB and some 3rd offering which is no longer available. For those who program in BASIC, etc., is the use of the cassette (either real or connected to host computer) the only way to save and load programs?

I'm hoping to hear of some good news on this front.

Thanks!

• Like 2

For those who program in BASIC, etc., is the use of the cassette (either real or connected to host computer) the only way to save and load programs?

Thanks!

nanoPEBs do continue to pop up on eBay.

You can get a 32k sidecar and a SD card reading FlashROM99. With that setup a BASIC programmer can:

A. Program in BASIC on a PC via emulation using Classic99.

B. Compile the BASIC program with Harry Wilhelm's (senior_falcon) BASIC compiler. Runs 20-50X faster than TI BAsIC!!!

C. Save the Compiled program into EA5 format with Harry's compiler loader.

D. Convert that file to binary rom (.bin) using Fred Karl's Module Creator2.

E. Run your speedy Compiled BASIC program off the cartridge port via FlashROM99.

Just an idea...let me know if you would like the details. Building the FlashROM99 kit is both easy and rewarding. The 32k sidecar is sold at an extremely reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Airshack

NanoPEB is floppy emulation via a cf card, 32k and rs232 - many out there

CF7 is floppy emulation via cf card, 32k and Parallel Port - some out there

Coming sometime later: TIPI will have flatfile hard disk style emulation via a RaspberryPI

And there's the flashrom99+32k sidecar setup as stated above, but that doesn't give you storage on the 4/a just a place to load carts from and memory to run them

I really appreciate all the information. It's good to see there are some workable options. I'm really interested in learning more about the TIPI. Is there any additional information on that?

In the meantime, I'll start looking closer at the FlashROM99 kit. Just curious -- does anyone sell those assembled?

Thanks again!

Edited by mr_gw454

ElectricLab and I gave demos of TIPI features at Fest West.

We will start on designing boards that attach to the expansion header of my sideport 32k card design, and then via ribbon cable to a Raspberry PI.

I had stability issues with data transfer, such that I didn't want to implement write operations until we have stable hardware. ElectricLab had much less trouble with his wirewrap implementation.

I'll work on DSR save features soon. We want to get some test boards printed first.

-M@

• Like 4