IGNORED

Which PS1 Model should i go after? Will SCPH-5501 be better than 1001?

I made the mistake of going out and buying the SCPH-1001 because when i tried the laser replacement and took the laser from my SCPH-101 (PSone) and tried clean discs and it didn't do shit. I even tried adjusting BIAS and GAIN pots without a multimeter and it made it worse. Should i get an SCPH-5501 since it has the same CXA1645 encoder and fixes a laser issue and automatic BIAS and GAIN and put the AEM laser in for 550I am done with the SCPH-1001 so i destroyed 3 of them icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif .Is it properly a BA6397FP problem?

What PS1 model should i go after and leave out the SCPH-1001?

SCPH-5501

SCPH-7001

SCPH-7501

SCPH-9001

SCPH-101 (Slim)

Honestly, just keep your 1001 and buy a new KSM-440BAM laser. Swap the grey cover for the original black and you have the best model of PS1...

Don't touch any adjustments.

Edited by R.Cade

Honestly, just keep your 1001 and buy a new KSM-440BAM laser. Swap the grey cover for the original black and you have the best model of PS1...

Don't touch any adjustments.

Well, It didn't do anything. And i don't like the 1001's. They are so unreliable and i did have an official Sony BAM laser out of an SCPH-101 at first when the 1001 arrived yesterday and it still didn't read any disc (even clean ones that are not scracthed) even when i swap the grey cover for the original black. The 1001 is not the best model. The 7501 is the best model imo. Why would the 1001's be the best anyway. So i destroyed my 1001!

No reason to play PS1 on a PS1 anymore. Component through a PS2 is the way to go, or even HDMI through a PS3. Honestly I think PS1 games look best via component...

The only challenge is that small handful of original PlayStation games that will not work on a PS 2. I recently brought my original console out of storage just so that I could play Final Fantasy Tactics. (I do not have a PS3, so I don't know if it would work on that console.)

The only challenge is that small handful of original PlayStation games that will not work on a PS 2. I recently brought my original console out of storage just so that I could play Final Fantasy Tactics. (I do not have a PS3, so I don't know if it would work on that console.)

How many of those could there be?

FFT is in the download store for 10 bucks and is marked as compatible with PS3, PSP, and Vita.

FFT War of the Lions is $10 too and works on PSP and Vita.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be tethered to a TV for a long game like that.

How many of those could there be?

I can't speak for him, but some of my Digital Eclipse collections have issues and would be missed, since they're track-ball enabled and work nicely with my Nyko track-ball. And Wikipedia claims that Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike don't like slim PS2's, so I'd miss those if that's accurate.

Not to mention that my slimline PS2 doesn't like my PS1 memory card and won't recognize it, despite it being 1st party (Or at least a very well done counterfeit). Plus it saves wear & tear to keep my PSOne going for PS1 games. :)

Hopefully the HD Retrovision guys proceed with their component cable for the system that taps into the RGB signals.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Even if it' not supposed to work, try it anyway- some systems seem to be just fine with incompatible games. You have no idea how confused I was the first time I heard Tomba didn't work on a PS2. I didn't even own that when I had my original PS1!

Even if it' not supposed to work, try it anyway- some systems seem to be just fine with incompatible games. You have no idea how confused I was the first time I heard Tomba didn't work on a PS2. I didn't even own that when I had my original PS1!

I did try it -- and the game would not even boot-up. :(

I do have a few other titles on the "incompatible" list that happen to work OK, so maybe it depends on subtle hardware or BIOS revisions. My PS 2 is a very late-release slim; I do not know the model number off-hand.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly, most all ps1 consoles are just as reliable(non slim) (not quite but close), and the older ones had composite jacks in the back. So I would recommend another SCPH-1001.

Edited by TheTIGuy

Well if you get the small PSOne, a cheat disc like Codebreaker, and a paper clip, you can play "backups" from any region pretty much. The portable screen made by Sony is pretty good too and you can play it anywhere near an outlet. You can make a battery pack too if that's your thing. I had mine for over ten years and it's still working well, but I bought it new.

Edited by xenomorpher

No reason to play PS1 on a PS1 anymore. Component through a PS2 is the way to go, or even HDMI through a PS3. Honestly I think PS1 games look best via component...

Honestly, There is a reason to play PS1 on a PS1. That's because of the startup sound And like i said, I don't care about using component on a PS2 or using HDMI on PS3. I always use a PS1 console to play because of the good old startup sound.

Honestly, There is a reason to play PS1 on a PS1. That's because of the startup sound And like i said, I don't care about using component on a PS2 or using HDMI on PS3. I always use a PS1 console to play because of the good old startup sound.

If HDRetrovision finished their PS1 component cable, we will have the best of both worlds - Playing PS1 on original hardware with the amazing startup sound through component video. :)

SCPH-30001[edit]

This model has problems running these games:[citation needed]

Ummmm....my Final Fantasy Tactics works just perfectly fine on both my PS2 consoles--one of which is a 30001. *shrugs*

To answer the OP's question my launch SCPH-1001 PSX works perfectly as long as you turn it upside down LOL. But to echo what the others were saying the PS2 is by far the best way to experience PSX games. While I have a PS3 that's 100% BC those are increasingly gaining value and aren't as easy to come by these days so most of the time if I can help it I'll use one of my PS2s, but, that's mostly dependent on if I'm upstairs or downstairs. Spend most of my time downstairs so the PS3 is how I play PSX games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't want to play PS1 games in RGB or HD because you don't want to miss the PS1 start-up sound?

Okay dude...to each their own. Seems to me like you are making things more complicated than they need to be.

Just put this on in the background when you play PS1 on a PS2 or PS3:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ucNAsU6es

Edited by travistouchdown

You know you could've sold it to someone as a parts console instead of needlessly destroying it, right? You actually could've saved it had you adjusted the laser bias and voltage, it's not hard to do...

^ This. I would of happily bought a busted console for a few bucks. I'm going to be on the lookout for a PSX or Super Famciom that's non-functioning to use as a Raspberry Pi emulation machine.

You know you could've sold it to someone as a parts console instead of needlessly destroying it, right? You actually could've saved it had you adjusted the laser bias and voltage, it's not hard to do...

Okay I adjusted the Laser Bias and Voltage and it worked. But will clean discs prolong the life? I have a scratched copy of Ford Racing and no matter what value i put it at, I still get small skips. Is it problerly my BAM laser is dying or is it the disc itself?