IGNORED

Latest disk-based version of SpartaDOS?

squonk

Hello! I'm getting my 8-bit system set again after a 25 year hiatus. I'm using an SIO2PC (USB) for my drives (plus a 1050). My machine is a stock 800XL. I would like to use SpartaDOS as my main OS.

However, in looking around, it seems that 3.2 is the latest disk-based version of the OS available - after that it seems to all be cartridge-based versions. Is there somewhere I can get an ATR of SpartaDOS 4.48, that I'm just not seeing, or do I need to install one of the hardware enhancements listed here: http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download_special ?

Thanks!

-mike

Hi Mike,

There is a difference between cart and disk versions. They share the same disk format, but the cart version is a rather different system.

There is no such thing as an ATR with 4.48

the latest disk version is IIRC 3.3b or 3.3c

Stephen J. Carden who did a lot of coding for SpartaDOS, is working on a new version which is called Real Dos, which is also using the SpartaDos disk format.

Perhaps that is interesting for you too.

Thats not true..

SpartaDOS 3.3a/b/cPro is based on old spartdos 2.x source that Steve Carden and Ken Ames got from Mike Gustafson.

They were actually made for the specific purpose of running BBS Express Pro with various hardware configs.

3.2G is the latest (newest/most up to date) disk based version of SpartaDOS.. Mike Hohman of Fte released SpartaDOS into the public domain at the same time of this version release.

REALDOS is Steve Carden's sole creation and he maintains it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! Out of curiousity, is there any reason an ATR for 4.48 couldn't/hasn't been created?

I suppose I shall now spend some time looking into the various hardware upgrade options, in terms of availability and what they offer in addition to SpartaDOS X. Which ones do you suggest I focus on, for a stock 800XL?

I'm probably most interested in SDX vs the others as an OS since it still seems to be under active, open development (that I would like to be involved in).

Thanks!

4.48 is the latest version of SpartaDOS X.. It doesnt run from disk. It has to run from Cartridge (or other hardware such as Ultimate1meg, IDE plus 2.0, SIDE/SIDE2, etc. that has a dedicated flashrom space for it.)

They do have ATRs designed to flash those various devices.

Yes, SDX in the last decade has become by far the most advanced OS ever run on an Atari 8-bit computer.

it would require extensive modification to the code to take it out of it's cartridge based environment... to date no one seems interested or willing to do so... but certainly are capable... the whole point is the speed at which it flips into and out of existence with the underlying banks still there... I was a big fan of the project and kind of took a break for a bit... when I returned and start using it full time again, I found that it behaves differently, not so much to my liking... and 'changes since forever' are really only a few years ago... If you really want to get involved, go to the SpartaDos X thread...
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255228-spartados-x-448/
or email

dlt.png

I used their image method to avoid bots

4.49b is the latest beta with 4.49c due within weeks

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks for the info! Out of curiousity, is there any reason an ATR for 4.48 couldn't/hasn't been created?

I suppose I shall now spend some time looking into the various hardware upgrade options, in terms of availability and what they offer in addition to SpartaDOS X. Which ones do you suggest I focus on, for a stock 800XL?

I'm probably most interested in SDX vs the others as an OS since it still seems to be under active, open development (that I would like to be involved in).

Thanks!

The simplest answer is that SDX is designed as cartridge so that it can get the most out of the memory, by moving the OS into the CAR: spot you get much better use of the memory. Also even if you had the cartridge 4.48 or 9 is really designed for a 128k or more machine, a stock 800xl would be seriously hampered and you would be better off with another os.

I am playing with realdos myself. SJC has done some nice things.. it has a lot of things that a PC DOS user would be used to, and it is diskbased, so some of the functions are a little slower as it loads things into and out of memory, but as a cmd line os it is a fair bit better than old 3.2g imho.

James

Thanks for all the info!

I started playing with RealDOS last night, and it's pretty nice. However, there are a few things it seems to lack (or I haven't figured out yet) that make it difficult to use as a general CLI, most notably the lack of environment variables.

Time to continue playing, and maybe pick up one of the Ultimate carts while supplies last.

• Like 1