IGNORED

Atari in 2049

Rom Hunter

Anyways, does Atari have any significance to the plot or are we just looking at product placement?

I'm sure it's a nod to the original Blade Runner, which had Atari signs that you couldn't miss. I'm not sure if *that* was product placement but it probably was. This, though, might technically be product placement but I'll bet the filmmakers actually wanted it in there. My guess is that they approached Atari rather than the other way around.

People use those Atari signs in the original movie as an example of something that didn't pan out in the real world future, so I think this is the filmmakers kind of doubling down on it. The fact that they put it in the trailer seems almost like actual trolling!

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I'm reasonably certain it was deliberate (paid) product placement in Blade Runner 1982.

From Mental Floss:

IT’S CURSED.

It might not be quite as hardcore-cursed as Poltergeist or The Omen, but Blade Runner has a curse of its own … on the businesses whose logos appear in the film. Atari, Pan Am, RCA, Cuisinart, and Bell Phones all suffered severe business problems in the years shortly after Blade Runner’s release, as did Coca-Cola, whose 1985 “New Coke” experiment was less than successful. Members of the Blade Runner production team refer to this as the “product-placement Blade Runner curse.”

• Like 2

The original film (1982) is set in 2019, no cell phones, no flat screens, very little computers, how wrong were they?

But Atari in the new version, of course, cool. It even featured in Wall-E (year 2805).

An American made film should feature American products, maybe Atari in 2049 is back in the good old USofA.

Edited by high voltage

2049:

As people turned to their mobile phones for their gaming needs between 2015 & 2025 console sales crashed. It was only the enduing love of Atari owners still creating and supporting those systems with hardware repairs and new software that resulted in an upsurge in fans from other systems looking for the classic gaming experience to turn to Atari systems.

Seeing this Atari Age users come together to buy out a failing Atari (Infrograms) and develop a new Atari "Infinity" console designed with the latest CPU, graphics, audio and VR capabilities intended to support gamers for the next 100 years. The Infinity system would not only run new games but would also emulate all previous Atari computer & console systems (the prices of which rocket beyond control and most peoples reach due to unprecedented demand) with an inbuilt library of their game software to run on them.

Perhaps the greatest asset of the Infinity system was its holographic projector that would make its rather plain, minimalistic white box look like the original system the game currently being played was designed for.

The Infinity systems sells in the millions to those wanting the old school console gaming experience, consequently Atari become the only commercial game company to survive the gaming wars as the other companies fell away loosing millions trying to compete in the open platform phone gaming market against a myriad of smaller independent developers producing games good enough to compete against the big commercial products but at a fraction of the cost. :grin:

When "Notch" expressed disgust over "Atari's" treatment of Jeff Minter over his Tempest-alike Vita game, I sincerely hoped that he would buy out their assets and give them to the community. Maybe someone else with deep pockets AND interest in dinosaur gaming can come along and do the right thing. 40 years is enough, this stuff belongs to the people now.

The mentioning of the name Atari, and the Atari logo itself, sadly does most often conjure up old memories & feelings of the past, like a it's a grandparents thing.

However, even today, Rush 2049 is absolutely bad ass. Hands down, no question about it, my absolute favorite driving game of all time. It literally gives you a rush when you play. The graphics, the music, the feedback, etc.

Whenever guests come over, it never sits idle. Kids, teenagers, young & old adults alike enjoy the hell out of the game. So Atari could have still been cool, and have made a comeback, even in the new Millenium. Hot Rod Rebels would have given Fast & Furious a run for its money.