IGNORED

PAL vs NTSC consoles for playing PAL releases?

Mr. Postman

I've seen that link. I've just read other posts that say it doesn't matter so I guess it's a small issue. So, Ive purchased a PAL console for my PAL games. Guess I want that 108 color 50hz authenticity if the games were made for it. I look forward to further responses.

Edited by Mr. Postman

The link posted by Spiceware describes the correct behaviour. A PAL game in NTSC console produces an hybrid signal with color encoded using the NTSC standard (determined by the console) but with PAL timing (about 312 lines, 50Hz, determined by the game). The colors displayed will be wrong because the palettes between NTSC and PAL 2600 are different. The TV must support the color standard of the console, else there will be no color at all.

The only way to play PAL games on a NTSC console with correct colors (and assuming you have a TV that can handle PAL resolution and framerate) is to install a 2600RGB mod, which allows you to change the palette used (it autodetects that based on the framerate, but you can also select it manually with a switch).

Stella emulator allow you to change the palette (that is, the format of the console+TV) with the key-combination CTRL-F so you can see how a particular PAL game will look on NTSC console.

All this only applies to the 2600. Other consoles behaves differently when using games from a different region.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

The best option is RGB modded console, which can play both PAL and NTSC games with correct colors. Something like this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/114870703781 or you may mod it yourself. I have that console from that link and it is great, it plays everything and I may even switch the palette using the button. Of course, PlusCart is a need too.

Edited by Wizzard

• 2 months later...