IGNORED

How many people here worked for Tandy?

eightbit

I was initially going to post this in off topic, but why not in the Tandy classic computing forum. I am just curious who worked for them back in the day that may be lurking around here now and may have some fond memories. I worked as a computer technician for a division of Tandy named "Computer City" in the mid 90's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_City

We received discounts on Radio Shack stuff. Then I received a nice lay off when they decided to sell to CompUSA. Of course this time period is way after the good old Tandy computers from the 80's. Wish I worked there back then...

• Like 1

A friend of mine worked in the local RS Computer Centre in the early-1990s. He was very smart -- he was studying (electrical?) engineering at the time.

I knew the manager there slightly, and I applied for a position, but I was not successful.

• Like 1

Another Computer City guy, cool! I remember one time I washed that yellow CC shirt with something blue and it was my only shirt (when I first started) and it turned it green. I wore it to work that day and my manager was like WTH and ran to the back to get me a new shirt.

• Like 1

I worked for a Radio Shack Computer Center for just over a year. We were selling Tandy 1000's, Tandy 1200 (HD's), Tandy 3000's, Tandy 6000's and even had a Color Computer 3 on display. Unfortunately, the company did nothing to promote the Coco 3 during the period I was there.

We did have a large area in store for training and I believe we still had some Model 4's at the time, too. Service and support were big. We used to send out and receive equipment back from our repair center all the time. Radio Shack did take care of the their customers -- at least in the store I was working at.

Overall it was a great experience, though there was a big push to become more IBM like. In fact, there was a dress code just being initiated as I was leaving. Blue suits and no facial hair.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Started off at a RS plus Computer Center back in '88, left from 01-8197 where I was a manager in '93, 1 month shy of 5 years.

They were shitty to work for as a manager. All but one of the District Managers I worked with were horribly abusive people. Oh, the stories.