IGNORED

Got two painful shocks from my 800XL RF cable...

CZroe

Left (common) and center (VΩmAF°) are where your leads plug in for volts and ohms. The 10 Amp unfused port on the right is for current.

Hard to tell from the pic on my screen but it appears the AC is on the right side of the scale with 200 and 600 volt selections. The left side with more selections in blue should be your DC scale (straight line with dashes under it).

As mentioned by 1050, if it's a high voltage static charge, your VOM will be useless.

Just don't be coming in contact with anything on that TV while it's plugged in. And keep in mind that if it is a high static charge, it will jump out and bite you.

13636277554d3db0f1f91107078c6cef.jpg

Maybe that one is better. :)

Thanks. I needed to test the 800XL again so I routed the cable to the left of the TV. Like last time, I left it disconnected from the 800XL while powering on the TV and I waited until the degaussing finished before touching it. I didn't want to fry the 800XL so, again, I deliberately touched it. This time I didn't get shocked. Perhaps it only shocks me when I have it routed around the TV like before or perhaps I will still get a shock if I touch it while turning on the TV but I'm not bold enough to try that again (just wanted to discharge before connecting to the 800XL).

I did turn the TV so it's also possible that something inside has shifted.

Yes, DC is on the left scale and AC is on the right.

Set it to 20 volts DC and test it on one of your 9 Volt batteries.

If you have the coax hooked up to the antenna output, you could try laying a fluorescent tube light-bulb along side the coax. If there's enough high static voltage present during the degauss process, the tube should flicker.

If that happens, you definitely don't want to use that TV with anything you care about.

I get a painful shock when I view the video signal that comes through RF output. In fact, it's so shockingly bad that I've vowed to never use it again.

Normally, I'd agree. That's why I made an S-Video cable for it.

I was using the RF cable to test a recently picked up 7800.

https://youtu.be/XNOQk1nQaEQ

Before placing an order with Best I figured I'd better see if I needed a new 800XL keyboard or not, so I only needed to see what keys were bad before and after cleaning. RF is fine for that. I ended up cleaning/testing multiple times until I discovered that the 4051 shift registers/encoders were bad. Now I have a pack of those on the way.

That said, I can resolve every pixel on the 7800 and there isn't a bit of snow. Not going to stop me from putting in a composite mod once I fix the 7800's issues.

Do they make degaussing coils for LCD?

No, but I'll sell you one. ;) Edited by CZroe

Normally, I'd agree. That's why I made an S-Video cable for it.

If it's an NTSC 800XL have you run a jumper to connect the Chroma signal? If not, you'll only get a B&W image out of your S-video cable (thanks, Atari :ponder: ).

• Like 1

If it's an NTSC 800XL have you run a jumper to connect the Chroma signal? If not, you'll only get a B&W image out of your S-video cable (thanks, Atari :ponder: ).

I use it with my original 800 primarily, which is why the 800XL has been packed away in the box. Unboxing to test the 7800 with that RF cable (along with Atari 5200 stuff from that lot) was my recent impetus for testing/repairing the 800XL keyboard issues, which I wanted to solve before modding the video output. My cables also have composite so I have that option for color, but an 800XL S-Video mod is definitely in the cards. Edited by CZroe