I’d like to enlist the help of the community to keep the front page of AtariAge full of current and relative classic gaming news. It’s tough for me to do this by myself—I don’t see everything interesting that’s posted across the internet that might be of interest to AtariAge visitors, and putting together news items for the front page in a competent manner is time consuming.
I’d love to see at least one item a day posted, and hopefully more. I’m betting there are a few people here that might have the time and desire to help.
For every posting that I use on the front page, I will add one month to your AtariAge subscription.
If you don’t have one yet, I’ll give you one (one month initially for the first posting I use).
Here’s what I am looking for in news postings:
- One or more paragraphs that form the meat of the news item. Be succinct, but include important details. Please include any relevant links. Do not plagiarize text from other websites, unless it’s taken from a press-release. I will check!
- Create a title for your news item. Keep it as brief as possible.
- Include relevant links within your text.
- Include one or more relevant photos. Sometimes I might use an image as a thumbnail, other times I will post a larger image or images.
- Include a link to a video if that is more relevant than a photo.
- Include a Link to a forum thread on AtariAge if one already exists. If not, then I will create one when I post the news item.
- Include a link where one can learn more information about the news item. This will usually be linked in the news text somewhere, but I will also use this link for any images/thumbnails included with the posting.
Please send news submissions directly to me.
I will review submissions and decide which are posted to the front page. I’ll usually edit items before they appear on the front page, so don’t be surprised if what is posted is not exactly the same as what you submitted. Sometimes I may edit the text heavily. Some items will also be reposted to social media (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram).
Even if an item doesn’t get posted to the front page, I may start a new thread (if one doesn’t already exist) so the news item can be discussed in the forum.
I will credit the news posting with your forum handle, unless you prefer to remain anonymous.
News topics should be classic gaming-related in some fashion. They do not have to be Atari-specific, since we have many active discussions for non-Atari systems in the forums (ColecoVision, Intellivision, TI-99/4A, etc.)
Here are some relevant subject areas:
- Atari-related news (that is, when Atari itself does something newsworthy)
- New and interesting hardware projects
- New software/homebrew releases for classic game systems and computers
- Significant emulator releases
- Announcements for classic gaming expos/events.
- Relevant interviews
- Books that have a classic gaming slant
- Crowdfunding campaigns
- Prototype discoveries
- News about development tools
- Interesting contests
This list is by no means comprehensive. If it’s classic gaming related and you feel it’s newsworthy, ping me to see if it’s something I might post on the front page. If so, you can then write it up and submit it.
You can browse through old news postings here:
Feel free to use the search field to find posts on specific subjects (for instance, 'expo", "prototype", "homebrew", "book", "stella", "interview"..
Once I post something you’ve submitted, I’ll extend your forum subscription by a month. If you don’t have a subscription, I’ll upgrade your account so it has one. If you are particularly active in submitting news items I post to the front page, I may from time to time send you AtariAge-related swag and/or games.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!