IGNORED

Texas Chainsaw Cart - real or repro?

Mats90245

Tough to say. It almost looks like someone tried to peel back the label starting from that left side. Maybe they opened it up and then glued the label back down. Doesn't look like there is an end label which adds to my suspicions. What does that mean? Hmmm, not sure.

• Like 1

For now, I'm going with "real." I'm not seeing enough here that screams "fake" to me (which it could still be proven to be, mind you).

I'm not too worried by the label condition, as far as counterfeit concerns go. It looks more like it wasn't stored especially well over the years, or some moisture or humidity otherwise got to it at some point. End labels came off of old games all the time for one reason or another. The shell looks original from what I can tell, as well; it doesn't make sense that somebody would open it up (there's the label concern) and put in a fake ROM or something.

$50 isn't too bad considering the worn condition and missing/torn label. Assuming it's legit, of course.

• Like 1

I asked for a photo of the chip to see if it was white, but he didn't send that (red flag?)

Personally, I wouldn't, either. A lot of people don't seem to realize that taking off a label--especially one with some damage concerns--to be able to get at any screws underneath, without damaging it, is a pain in the ass. Even more so if you're not especially familiar with the process.

Being that this is a rare and sort of valuable cartridge, he probably (and smartly) didn't want to risk damaging it further.

This photo is on eBay now and they're asking $280 for the Cart.

This is the photo I was asking for where you can see the color of the chip.

I'm guessing once you open the game, you can get more info, but I just wanted to see what color the chip was. I read somewhere that if it's not white, it's a fake.

Thanks again for all the help.

post-50497-0-81462600-1494533169_thumb.png

This photo is on eBay now and they're asking $280 for the Cart.

This is the photo I was asking for where you can see the color of the chip.

I'm guessing once you open the game, you can get more info, but I just wanted to see what color the chip was. I read somewhere that if it's not white, it's a fake.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ahh...by 'chip' you actually meant...the PCB color. And yes that can be seen from just looking at the cart edge connections. I think the cart is legit as well. If you were going to create a fake to sell. You would want to try and make as good a fake as possible. So you could ask for more money. That would mean faking an end label and making it look better than this lack of love this cart has received over the years.

• Like 1

Well, I got the game and here's a photo of the PCB.

I'd open it up and take a photo of the chip, but I'm not quite sure how to do that without damaging the cart.

If someone would be so kind as to walk me through that process, we'll open this up and see what we got.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's input on this and everything else I've posted about in the past.

post-50497-0-40903700-1494551698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mats90245

"fake." But for $50, it's a steal, real or not. BTW, if you havevbeen following the "SD card for 7800" threasd, I don't have a lick of common sense. So take everything I say with a grain of salt...

Not sure what this is about, but thanks to everyone else who's responding and trying to help out.

Were you posting after the Concerto? :D

I hit the bar after my failed Concerto mod attempt, so yes. I left the house after the video upload started, drank three beers at the bar, then left and had a club sandwich, fries, and several rounds of coffee from the diner up the street from my house. Walked btw, not drove. And it was raining.

Drank some rum mixed with Diet Dr Pepper when I got home; I think that's what messed me up. Head was spinning a bit and couldn't sleep it off due to the caffiene. Finally got to sleep around 5am... :sleep:

• Like 1