IGNORED

New, HOT STUFF from Poland ;)

Sikor

Smaller viewport forced us to slow pacing a bit, but we will also release second .xex with full arcade pacing/velocities (it gonna be hard as hell but of well;).

Might it be possible to work into Antic 4 with the extra speed you have available?

Might it be possible to work into Antic 4 with the extra speed you have available?

Without looking in the code but regarding the color clash of 5th color seeing here and there I am sure it's already using charmode.

Another interesting question.... what is the core? The arcade game? But isn't that z80?

Just made it to the end of 1982, somewhat pissed off that I finished the stage by filling the bomber right full of lead only to run into it on the last life. Score 43,000.

Probably already known but I've noticed a few issues (this is under Altirra 6502 only version):

. ignoring stick input to change name entering high score.

. high score is showing a trailing zero - 430,000 instead of 43,000. Err... OK, it doens't matter much given it's not retaining the high score anyway.

. rescuing parachute guys seems to be always 2,000 - fairly sure the arcade increases by 1,000 each time so long as you don't get shot.

The difficulty seems on par with the arcade, played the original using exact same control mechanism in Mame and in both cases - made the Vietnam stage after 2 games on the Atari and 1 on the original (somewhat out of practice).

• Like 1

Great work, all future improvements are icing on the cake but already "as is", it is great now and would certainly have rocked in 1985

People , who would compare different platforms, would blame the game controls.

In all games, it works to use the "plane" as a "plane" not as an "Gyro-sprite". The game is only playable if you move around the wrong logics.

I really like the game, because it plays very fluent. Using a "more square" gaming screen would fit better and show all the needed objects and the resolution. It would cost some CPU more, but there were optimizations for the real machine.... You know what's strange ? To have "optimized" software for non Atari Hardware in prior.

Let's hope the necessary stuff will be added...

Few time this evening. Only had

a look at the gfx and time pilot.

Amazing work !!!

Regarding the game, also some issues

here. After finishing first level,

6 or 7 plans where shown.

Should have been one ;)

And regarding my high score...

probably not my score ;-)

Anyway... great job !!!

Thank you very much.

Stefan

post-38469-0-48089500-1494967523_thumb.jpg

Awesome, always liked Time Pilot.

This makes me need to ask, is there a master list that gets updated of all the homebrew stuff? So many great games still being made for the Atari 8-bits, and I've been cleaning mine off and wanting to play them, and newer games would rock! (still waiting on Adventure II XE.)

Gonna have to give these a try when I get a chance. Also looks like I have a reason to upgrade at least one of my 8-bits.

People , who would compare different platforms, would blame the game controls.

In all games, it works to use the "plane" as a "plane" not as an "Gyro-sprite". The game is only playable if you move around the wrong logics.

I really like the game, because it plays very fluent. Using a "more square" gaming screen would fit better and show all the needed objects and the resolution. It would cost some CPU more, but there were optimizations for the real machine.... You know what's strange ? To have "optimized" software for non Atari Hardware in prior.

Let's hope the necessary stuff will be added...

1. The A8 version has exact arcade controls (even gba port didnt have it) - with all movement exceptions; original acade game has stuff like: go left, go up then go down; go right go up then go down; both 'down' would start to rotate to different side. It was very neat that they did it in 1982. As a fan of original Timepilot I added all this exceptions to a8 version.

2. Original game has proportional pixels - 1:1, 2:2, 4:4 etc. pulling it on 2:1 would be blasphemy.

Actually I have no idea what are you trying to say here, its a bit random, but thanks for the feedback.

Without looking in the code but regarding the color clash of 5th color seeing here and there I am sure it's already using charmode.

Another interesting question.... what is the core? The arcade game? But isn't that z80?

Hey Heaven:)

yeah its 5color fnt mode (4 charsets on screen, engine allocates fonts dynamically before render)

the original arcade machine is 2 x Z80 + 2 x AY38910

there is no core - we did full remake from scratch on 6502

final version will provide .git repo with sources (wudsn/mads) - soon (I wish we finish it before party)

our engine for the game is made for general purpose in mind and should be easy (relatively ; ) to use.

edit: sorry for all AAAAA highscores lol

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 5

Yes, of course it's Antic 5. So, my question was in regards to possibly bumping the resolution up.

the thing is - original game has proporional pixels; we actually considered even to go 12x12 (for bigger playfiield) but decided to stick original 16x16; 2:1 pixels would suck here.

• Like 2

Not everyone appears to have played in the arcade... Most people know I don't give praise without reason and since I really like this port there must be a reason!

Again good job can't wait for the finished version...

Yes it's not asteroids, it's a plane....

Edited by _The Doctor__

the thing is - original game has proporional pixels; we actually considered even to go 12x12 (for bigger playfiield) but decided to stick original 16x16; 2:1 pixels would suck here.

Yes, I guess almost every arcade game has 1 to 1 pixels aspect. But it has been proven time and time again on the Ataris that it doesn't suck converting to a 2 to 1 ratio. It all depends on how good the pixel artist is.

It's certainly much easier with the method you've chosen -- since there's no conversion work to be done -- and you'll get your pixels perfectly matched with the arcade. The downside is the look is a little more on the blocky side.

Yes, I guess almost every arcade game has 1 to 1 pixels aspect. But it has been proven time and time again on the Ataris that it doesn't suck converting to a 2 to 1 ratio. It all depends on how good the pixel artist is.

It's certainly much easier with the method you've chosen -- since there's no conversion work to be done -- and you'll get your pixels perfectly matched with the arcade. The downside is the look is a little more on the blocky side.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about just switching graphics modes from Antic 5 -> Antic 4 and ending up with a flattened-out looking ship, etc. I'm talking about reinterpreting the original pixel data in order to end up with a proportional ship at the higher resolution of Antic 4.

I think to complete as currently progressing would be wonderful... If people want to convert to some higher res whatever later.... well have at it later. THIS IS ONE OF IF NOT THE BEST CONVERSIONS OF THE GAME I HAVE SEEN on ANY classic machine... we can re invent the wheel later.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I just realized - Emkay what are you trying to imply? please elaborate;)

You know, a plane cannot rotate on a still point? The rotation is later than the movement. On the Arcade, you can play "follow me" with the missiles and shots can pass by , just rotating the plane. On the A8 , the plane rotates without moving.

I also count "192" lines (96) for the playfield. You know , there are "240" lines (120) available. Since the status lines have their reason, how high could the playfield get? As the plane is always in the center of the playfield, PM could be used, overlaying ?

I think to complete as currently progressing would be wonderful... If people want to convert to some higher res whatever later.... well have at it later. THIS IS ONE OF IF NOT THE BEST CONVERSIONS OF THE GAME I HAVE SEEN on ANY classic machine... we can re invent the wheel later.

Yes, it's quite excellent, even before any of the refinements they already have planned.

My curiosity was just whether Antic 4 was "possible" in terms of CPU usage -- and possibly whether the extra pixel data would fit in memory. At this point, I take it as a definite blasphemous maybe. :D

Edited by MrFish