IGNORED

What are your thoughts on this Adam Ebay listing?

Hawk269

Back before the Adam came out I was saving left and right to buy it, but my parents fell on hard times and I made the decision to help my family instead of buying the Adam. Things progressed slowly and I never ended up getting the Adam even though I wanted one badly at the time. I am now looking for one and prices seems very high and finding one in great condition has been a challenge, but I came across this ebay listing and wanted the forums opinion on price and what not or any suggestions people would have for me obtaining an Adam in very good condition.

Here is the ebay link, I would appreciate any input. Thank You!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColecoVision-Adam-Computer-complete-in-box-with-coleco-shipping-box-24-photos-/222406758502?hash=item33c879d066:g:r04AAOSwOgdYn7KJ

Edited by Hawk269

$300 seems like a stretch these days but the going rate seems about $400-$500 on Ebay. I think the seller here is trying to charge a premium because it's got all the plastic, shipping box, etc. but it seems excessive to me. Most Adams on Ebay have most of that stuff, since people usually didn't use them for very long before putting them away.

Most Adams on Ebay have most of that stuff, since people usually didn't use them for very long before putting them away.

I beg to differ, on both accounts... nicely.

You don't see very many complete systems on eBay with the blue box and especially with the shipping box.

Tens of thousands of owners used their Adams for many years after Coleco abandoned the system and large user's groups existed until the early to mid 90s. After which the hardcore users keep the flame lit until the retrogaming / computing scene started showing it some love again mainly due to it being a ColecoVision at heart.

The asking price is way to high and I would be patient. The seller only states that everything was tested and and is in working condition, but how come there are no pictures of it in operation???

Contact MilliV here on AtariAge via PM as he usually has a number of systems available.

I beg to differ, on both accounts... nicely.

You don't see very many complete systems on eBay with the blue box and especially with the shipping box.

These are all current:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adam-Coleco-Vision-Family-Computer-System-/262575539231?hash=item3d22b8c41f:g:stUAAOSwawpXrnfr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Adam-Computer-Game-System-Console-w-Orig-Box-/252939665859?hash=item3ae46101c3:g:dqkAAOSwPh5ZGZuq

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colecovision-Adam-Computer-Game-System-Console-w-Orig-Box-/222512259631?hash=item33cec3a22f:g:3oAAAOSwpkFY7mL-

No, those don't have the shipping box, but if a brown shipping carton is worth hundreds of dollars to you, then I guess debating the issue is probably pointless.

And that's just blue box systems. There's a red box systems on Ebay right now that *does* have the shipping box, for a lot less than $989:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleco-Adam-Computer-Game-Console-System-Complete-Tested-in-Original-Box-More-/222304637809?hash=item33c2639371:g:gt4AAOSwwpdW9SUE

Thanks everyone for your replies. i was not sure and I thought it seemed to be priced a little high. I will continue my search and hopefully I will find one that is in good condition at a reasonable price.

Thank you again for the replies!

No, those don't have the shipping box, but if a brown shipping carton is worth hundreds of dollars to you, then I guess debating the issue is probably pointless.

Don't know where you are getting "but if a brown shipping carton is worth hundreds of dollars to you", because if you read my post, I said:

The asking price is way to high and I would be patient. The seller only states that everything was tested and is in working condition, but how come there are no pictures of it in operation???

As I said, there aren't very many complete in box ADAM Computer systems to be found on eBay and even fewer that have been completely tested by someone who knows the system. Even fewer systems are listed at a reasonable starting bid or BIN for most that are interested in picking up an ADAM and in some cases, shipping expenses play a major factor. The four listings (again, that's not a lot to choose from) on eBay currently for the Stand-Alone ADAM Computer System (Blue Box):

1) $499.99 - only two pics and you can't see the condition of the system components. Seller's description states, "in working condition" and that is absolutely it, nothing else. Buyer Beware.

2) $989.00 - the listing that started this. Way overpriced as I stated previously and again, buyer beware because the seller only states testing and working. Buyer Beware/

3) $250.00 - great description from someone you can tell is familiar with the system, but shipping expenses to me would be $141.62. No way I would pay that much for shipping and I'm sure most everybody else would be put off by that amount although the reasonable asking price could offset the shipping costs.

4) $170.00 - very bad discoloration and would be a project for someone to clean up and Retrobrite.

So, a buyer basically has only one choice, system #3, if they want a working system and not just something to place on their shelf as part of a collection.

The Expansion Module #3 ADAM Computer System (Red Box) is not as desired as far as for actually using the system because of the huge footprint of the combined ColecoVision and EM#3 Memory Console. This system variant interests mainly the collectors who have to have everything.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'd say keep an eye out on eBay for other listings and be patient. I nabbed one last summer CIB & working for $102.50, probably mainly because it was listed as local pick-up only. I was going to be traveling out of state on vacation within weeks of the listing anyway, so I really lucked out with the timing of being able to pick it up on my way home.

Yeah, I'd say keep an eye out on eBay for other listings and be patient. I nabbed one last summer CIB & working for $102.50, probably mainly because it was listed as local pick-up only. I was going to be traveling out of state on vacation within weeks of the listing anyway, so I really lucked out with the timing of being able to pick it up on my way home.

WOW that is really lucky. I just moved to Idaho from California and I am finding it hard to find anything local. The few mom & pop game stores rarely have anything other than NES and forwards. Been able to find a few games for Colecovision here and there, but nothing like what you came across. I put up a "Wanted" in the official wanted thread and will keep an eye on Ebay.

WOW that is really lucky. I just moved to Idaho from California and I am finding it hard to find anything local. The few mom & pop game stores rarely have anything other than NES and forwards. Been able to find a few games for Colecovision here and there, but nothing like what you came across. I put up a "Wanted" in the official wanted thread and will keep an eye on Ebay.

Idaho was pretty sparse back in the day as far as ADAM users that joined our Users Group (newsletter and mail-order) in the 80s-90s. I would broaden your "Wanted" posting to Washington (Puget Sound) and Utah (Salt Lake City) as there were large Users Groups in these areas back then and you might get lucky. You would have to still pay for shipping if you find one, but at least these areas are close.

Back before the Adam came out I was saving left and right to buy it, but my parents fell on hard times and I made the decision to help my family instead of buying the Adam. Things progressed slowly and I never ended up getting the Adam even though I wanted one badly at the time. I am now looking for one and prices seems very high and finding one in great condition has been a challenge, but I came across this ebay listing and wanted the forums opinion on price and what not or any suggestions people would have for me obtaining an Adam in very good condition.

Here is the ebay link, I would appreciate any input. Thank You!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColecoVision-Adam-Computer-complete-in-box-with-coleco-shipping-box-24-photos-/222406758502?hash=item33c879d066:g:r04AAOSwOgdYn7KJ

The sellers a dick, wouldn't buy anything from him if my life depended on it, he and a pal are known pariahs in the Neo Geo scene...

As far as the Adam goes - every now and then a nice setup comes up on eBay, if you set notifications and bide your time for one, and yes, I have seen them boxed as well, in varying conditions. Watch out for discoloration unless you want to go the retro bright route as soon as you get it...