IGNORED

SEGA plans on reviving old IP

Flojomojo

I love this quote:

'SEGA plans on carefully releasing “big hits” instead of not-so-big hits'

I guess their previous business plan of releasing duds didn't pan out financially. If only it were that easy to release "big hits" - all you need to do is tell everyone that's what you're doing!

Anyway, I really do hope they take some of their beloved 80's and 90's properties and make good new games out of them. I'm a bit worried that their time has just passed, though. I'm sure most of the people that worked on the games that made those IP's popular in the first place are long gone. I think the best we can probably hope for is that the new games will look and feel different, but still be good in their own right.

That said, Sega should really look at what Tetsuya Mizuguchi and Enhance Games did with Rez Infinite. Like Flojomojo, I would be completely happy with just updated versions of Sega's games of the 90's with a couple of new levels or whatever. I still don't get how Sega doesn't actually own Rez, but it's probably good that they don't because it's one of the few games of that era to get a decent update for modern hardware.

• Like 1

Uhh whats this one?

15. Fashionable Witches Love & Berry.

I think Sega is in a tough spot watching other big companies like Capcom and Konami struggle trying to rebirth stuff. But I like where this list might go though and it could potentially work in some way.

The solution is simple. The executives at SEGA should really read the interviews with the in-house software development group for the Dreamcast (e.g. in Play magazine) and put together a team of software designers with the same philosophy (i.e. leave them the hell alone and let them come up with pretty much whatever they want while pairing them with a good quality control person).

It seems micro-management always rears its ugly head at some point (along with insipid focus groups).

I just want blue blue skies, lots of flash and splash. Space Channel Five! Super Monkey Ball! Sega Rally Championship! Virtua Racing! Stuff like that. I'd even be in favor of a new arcade-style Star Wars game, so long as they gave us a home or mobile version.

I'm all in for a new Space Channel 5 game! This time they can team up with JJ instead for cool cameos and such!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

again - actual sonic 4, 2 wonder boy titles, new toejam & earl and shenmue 3 on the way...it's a great time for it. i'd love to see Shinobi, OutRun, Crazy Taxi & more, myself

I wouldn't mind another Shining Force game tbh..

god, that'd be amazing...but based on what happened to the series after the fallout with camelot, i don't know that i want that. i damn sure don't want it to reinvent itself in an anime style like fire emblem did.

• Like 1

Sounds good, except for the Atari part. :D

Unless they can get Atari Games (and Midway, and Williams) away from Warner, which is the Atari I care about nowadays.

This is why I can't get excited for any of the Atari collections or flashback units. I look at this list of 100 games and see, maybe, three that grab me. I have fond memories of the 2600, but all my favorites are from Activision, Nintendo, and Midway.

NE146 gamefly has a shing force game for ps2

Shining Force NEO? :) Yes I was excited for that once upon a time, but it's real time combat and quite a departure from turn based strategy ala Military Madness/Advance Wars/FF Tactics/Vandal Hearts/etc. Maybe I'll give it a chance again..