Photo

What do you think?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: A new machine? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in a 'modern' TI-99/4X console.

1. Yes (15 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Hell yes! (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

3. No (16 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Hell no! (4 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

5. Other/No Comment (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 PeBo OFFLINE  

PeBo

Dragonstomper

• 665 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 PM

Nope, not in the slightest.

The reason I go to the TI99 is for my nostalgic kick and memories of using it as a teenager.  For me if it morphs that far I'll stick with completely modern hardware.  It's like putting a 100 watt stereo speaker setup on a Speak & Spell.  Why?

While I agree, the reason to Frankenstein vintage tech is to be able to say you accomplished a particular goal. Not being hardware oriented, it's not my schtick, but I sure get the satisfaction of being able to say "Dudes, check this out!". Again I point to Fabrice's incredible beige 4A mod. What a sense of accomplishment could be derived from starting with a plain beige console, and ending with something that would have blown people away in 1982! (Hell it blew me away in 2017!)

And luckily, with millions of 4A's sold, they are among the most plentiful and least expensive 80's console computers today, so the tech gurus can kill a few (through drinking too much 4am caffeine, or ransacking  them for parts) with little guilt or cost! 

But I agree, if a modified 4A is going to cost me as much as an nVidia GTX1080TI, I'll opt for the 1080TI! (Actually 2 in SLI please)

#52 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Chopper Commander

• 226 posts

Posted Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 PM

While I agree, the reason to Frankenstein vintage tech is to be able to say you accomplished a particular goal. Not being hardware oriented, it's not my schtick, but I sure get the satisfaction of being able to say "Dudes, check this out!". Again I point to Fabrice's incredible beige 4A mod. What a sense of accomplishment could be derived from starting with a plain beige console, and ending with something that would have blown people away in 1982! (Hell it blew me away in 2017!)

And luckily, with millions of 4A's sold, they are among the most plentiful and least expensive 80's console computers today, so the tech gurus can kill a few (through drinking too much 4am caffeine, or ransacking  them for parts) with little guilt or cost! 

But I agree, if a modified 4A is going to cost me as much as an nVidia GTX1080TI, I'll opt for the 1080TI! (Actually 2 in SLI please)

I like what you said about the number of the consoles sold- not only does it provide a lot of nostalgia value for me, i know that if some fate does befall my daily driver TI I know I can get parts (or a whole computer) easily.

I've been neglecting mine as of the last few days because the couch is more comfortable while I'm sick, but it knows i will be back.  I always come back. ;)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users