IGNORED

Look what I just got for $26

Yes of course but only if it works. 26 is a steel. But if it arrived dead and was not fixable then 26 is a waste. Even 40 for 5 systems as someone else said is a good deal. Assuming its fixable. They could be ll dead. Or only 1 works after combining the parts. Not worth the risk.

I actually prefer dead machines if getting a piece of electronics that isn't working. I actually look for the things that say "Will not power up" or "Won't turn on" or "No power" and the like. Those are the easiest to troubleshoot and fix in my opinion.

Yes of course but only if it works. 26 is a steel. But if it arrived dead and was not fixable then 26 is a waste. Even 40 for 5 systems as someone else said is a good deal. Assuming its fixable. They could be ll dead. Or only 1 works after combining the parts. Not worth the risk.

It's up to the buyer to decide the risk- technically we take a risk every time we buy a game from a thrift store. Will it work? Does it need a cleaning? Or is it fried & dead?

No one's gonna bat an eye at a 50 cent Chrono Trigger. But what if it's 10 dollars? 20? 50? If it works, those are all great prices. The only question is if you afford to lose that amount of money if it's broken. If you can clean it, it's less of a risk. If you can remove/reseat/replace chips, even less. If they want to risk it, more power to them- I hope they get things working again.

It's up to the buyer to decide the risk- technically we take a risk every time we buy a game from a thrift store. Will it work? Does it need a cleaning? Or is it fried & dead?

No one's gonna bat an eye at a 50 cent Chrono Trigger. But what if it's 10 dollars? 20? 50? If it works, those are all great prices. The only question is if you afford to lose that amount of money if it's broken. If you can clean it, it's less of a risk. If you can remove/reseat/replace chips, even less. If they want to risk it, more power to them- I hope they get things working again.

Yep. I took a risk and saw an NES for $17 free shipping and from what I could tell it looked pretty decent. It comes and there is a rectangle cut out of the back(done very poorly, looked like crap) I guess they were planning on doing a mod and then gave up. Also the CPU and PPU were removed, and it wouldn't be worth it to replace them(and then on top of that find another problem). I can afford to lose $17 on a console here an there, but believe me I will make the money back when I sell one that I get working.

Edited by SignGuy81

I actually prefer dead machines if getting a piece of electronics that isn't working. I actually look for the things that say "Will not power up" or "Won't turn on" or "No power" and the like. Those are the easiest to troubleshoot and fix in my opinion.

Yes but what do you do when it turns out to be accurate description. It does not turn on and is not fixable. That money lost and you will be lucky to get even that back from ebay or CL and break even.

Yes but what do you do when it turns out to be accurate description. It does not turn on and is not fixable. That money lost and you will be lucky to get even that back from ebay or CL and break even.

I've been buying and repairing electronics for years now and so far is hasn't put me out on the street.

amusing thing is, like on the op's nintendo, he could gut it, clean it, and sell just the case for about the same amount or more to someone who has a piss yellow NES with a broken door

• Like 1

Why do you have to immediately flip it? Save it for parts- one $25 completely broken system lends its good parts to another $25 completely broken system, and now you have a $50 working system. Which is a decent price for a NES these days.

Not to mention, if the simple act of tinkering is the reason you bought it- not its potential value after repair- then it's not really money misspent. Just because it stays broken doesn't mean you didn't get to fiddle about with it as intended. The act of selling is just to make room for more project units to play with. Just like how most people who knit/sew/etc. give away or sell their creations, lest they be buried in a sea of calico-colored textile.

Here is the NES cleaned up.

I'm only going to include one 1 controller and 1 game with the unit. $7 for the 72 pin connector. $7 for the game. $26 for the console. $40 total(not counting I will get to use the other controller and gun with another project). I'll update on how much it sells for.

post-54455-0-45137700-1495986770_thumb.jpg

post-54455-0-45796600-1495986819_thumb.jpg

post-54455-0-81186200-1495986830_thumb.jpg

post-54455-0-54988900-1495986874_thumb.jpg

post-54455-0-10790600-1495987496_thumb.jpg

post-54455-0-40488400-1495987507_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Around here with luck you can get a NES on craigslist for $50, but usually it's $100-120 and you'll end up with 5-10 games with it, usually garbage filler not worth or worth about $50. Not necessarily going to get an original a/v cable and/or rf let alone a chinese knockoff ac adapter instead of a legit plug.

Sometimes I look. I can't say I'm entirely in love with my top loader, perhaps had it been HDMI modded sure, but it's RCA, stereo separation wheel installed, and a little light in the power switch. I probably would hesitate if I found a non cracked, non dingy, complete parts NES with the original pin connector, 2 controllers and original wires (at least the a/v cable as RF blows) and oem ac adapter too for $50 or less.

• Like 1