Photo

Atari Hard Driver Tower

10 replies to this topic

#1 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,092 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 PM

I posted in the "What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?" about a CD Tower I bought.

http://atariage.com/...68#entry3760789

It arrived yesterday and I thought I would start a new thread to show the progress of the transformation into a Hard Drive Tower for the Atari 8-Bit with a Black Box connection.

To start, here are the pictures as the unit was when I bought it.

jv-pal-a-ptc76xpct-01.jpg

That is a smoked glass door on the front and the keys work.

jv-pal-a-ptc76xpct-03.jpg

There is a door like this on both sides.  Very easy access.

jv-pal-a-ptc76xpct-05.jpg

All the fans work but as you can see, I need to clean the dust out of all three.  The power supply looks like a regular AT power supply based on the position of the screws holding it in.

jv-pal-a-ptc76xpct-08.jpg

Notice at the bottom where there is a picture of a CD?  That is where the "motherboard" for the unit sits.  I pulled that out and removed the "motherboard" and found that an Adaptec 4070 is the identical size for the space. Those are 7 SCSI 6X CD units. I am selling these for $10 each plus shipping if anyone is interested.  I have tested them for power and tray opening. One does not open.  I will do no further testing.

I like how the top of the unit is beveled, similar to the XL line.  If I get ambitious, I may use some black paint to make it look XLish.

I had to order some ribbon cable parts to make an internal cable for the Adaptec(s) and also for the Black Box to Tower.  I want to put 2 Adaptec 4070s inside with 4 Hard Drives.  I have 2 full heights that will take up the bottom four slots.  Then I need to utilize one of the bays for the second Adaptec.  Not sure how I am going to accomplish that yet.  Then I have another half height drive for one of the last two drive bays.  I will need either another half height RLL drive or I may just put a 1.2 meg floppy in there to use with my ATR 8000.

#2 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,899 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 2:35 PM

I want see it, when you got setup for your A8!

#3 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Dragonstomper

• 902 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 2:52 PM

Who makes the SCSI CDROMs?  Plextor?  I have a few UltraWide Plextor's I use for ripping..

#4 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,092 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 PM

I want see it, when you got setup for your A8!

I will post some more pics tonight, but I have to wait until cable parts I bought arrive to bring it online.  I will post a short video of how it operates when finished.

Who makes the SCSI CDROMs?  Plextor?  I have a few UltraWide Plextor's I use for ripping..

Toshiba.  But they are rebranded as Procom Technology.  They are SCSI II drives.  They would work perfectly for the Falcon or the TT directly with power supplied to them.

#5 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,328 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 PM

Hello Soulbuster

Keep one for the CD-ROM units.  It'll work with the Atari.  Check out my ASPI page and my Atari 8 bit Boot-CD page.

Sincerely

Mathy  (one CD-ROM with tray, one without and a DVD-player, also without tray)

Edited by Mathy, Wed May 17, 2017 4:40 PM.

#6 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,092 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 PM

Hello Soulbuster

Keep one for the CD-ROM units.  It'll work with the Atari.  Check out my ASPI page and my Atari 8 bit Boot-CD page.

Sincerely

Mathy  (one CD-ROM with tray, one without and a DVD-player, also without tray)

Thanks Mathy, very interesting.  I will keep one.  I would put the CD drive right in the chain with the Adaptecs, right?

#7 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,328 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:09 PM

Hello Soulbuster

I'm not sure if I get what you are trying to ask me.  But the CD Drive(s) would be connected "in parallel" to the Adaptecs.  But not as D1: as D1: is used to store the configuration.  Unless of course, you burn a boot-CD, switch the CD ROM drive to 512 byte sectors (normally 2048 byte) and boot off the CD.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I've never used anything but SCSI devices (no MFM or RLL) but I have booted the Atari off a CD and have listened to music played on the CD ROM unit which was controlled via the Atari 8 bit computer.

#8 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,092 posts

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 PM

parallel is what I meant.  on the same 50 conductor SCSI cable.

#9 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,092 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 AM

I am sorry I received devastating news last night and was not able to work on the project.  I am still soaking in the news, so I might not work on it until this weekend.

#10 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,899 posts

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 PM

It's all good!

#11 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,092 posts

Posted Today, 9:59 AM

Received some of the parts and will get back to working on this tonight.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users